By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why does USA have "In god we trust" on it's money?

No, I summed it up.

Around the Network

its fine the way it is, nothing big.

TheRealMafoo said:
I think the reason, is paper money is worthless. In the old days, what you had in your hand had intrinsic value. If you had a 20 dollar coin, the coin had 20 dollars worth of gold in it.

The best way to get a very Christian country to feel safe with paper money that has no intrinsic value, is to say “in god we trust” on it.

Today it’s meaningless. I don’t care either way if it fell off or stayed on the next design.

gold is worthless the only reason it's worth anything is because people say it is.

TheRealMafoo said:
I think the reason, is paper money is worthless. In the old days, what you had in your hand had intrinsic value. If you had a 20 dollar coin, the coin had 20 dollars worth of gold in it.

The best way to get a very Christian country to feel safe with paper money that has no intrinsic value, is to say “in god we trust” on it.

Today it’s meaningless. I don’t care either way if it fell off or stayed on the next design.

Your $60 console game doesn't have $60 worth of gold in it either. It is however the value people believe its worth.

Tease.

Craan said:
TheRealMafoo said:

gold is worthless the only reason it's worth anything is because people say it is.

So I could give you an 80 lb. gold nugget and you would throw it away because it is worthless?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

my point dtewi was that everything barring human life (particularly my human life), is only worth what we assign it.

What nobody realizes is that the God they're talking about is Xemu.

http://www.treas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.shtml

To summarize a bunch of people said "Why the hell isn't god on our money." right after the Civil War.

And the secretary apparently agreed.

It was meant to be the Christian one.

Craan said:
TheRealMafoo said:

The real answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

TheRealMafoo said:
Craan said:
TheRealMafoo said:

The real answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

90% of Americans approve of the message.

Odd.

Only like 75% of America are Christians to my knowledge...

and even then i think atheism is under reported.