By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - about time to declare Wii the winner?

Sometimes this board seems like someone's personal experiment to determine who can make the biggest and silliest fanboy predictions. We've gone a few generations now of Nintendo fanboys telling the world why their latest console was going to own the world, every time they fall flat on their faces, only to dust themselves off and do the exact same thing the following generation. Thanks for the comedy!

Around the Network

n00b said: Sometimes this board seems like someone's personal experiment to determine who can make the biggest and silliest fanboy predictions. We've gone a few generations now of Nintendo fanboys telling the world why their latest console was going to own the world, every time they fall flat on their faces, only to dust themselves off and do the exact same thing the following generation. Thanks for the comedy!
If you can honestly say that comparing this console generation for Nintendo is the same as the previous generations, I think that you're limiting your perspective far too shallow.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said: If you can honestly say that comparing this console generation for Nintendo is the same as the previous generations, I think that you're limiting your perspective far too shallow.
Nah, I'd say I'm looking at it from a larger perspective -- some of us have seen this all before, with Nintendo cultists making the same grand pronouncements before. I'd say the people not using any perspective are the ones who have no sense of history whatsoever, yet think they can judge anything based on the first 4 months of a console's life. Some Wii fanboy writes an article the week before launch saying that it's all over, and people lap that up. It's absolutely hilarious.

Wii is already different than the previous two generations since it beating every competing system in Japan...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

@noob many wii owners wrote in this thread that it is still too early to declare the winner... take it easy only time will tell ...

Around the Network

Vienna said: @noob many wii owners wrote in this thread that it is still too early to declare the winner... take it easy only time will tell ...
I'm taking it very easy-peasy. Just don't take offense, 'cause I'm certainly not talking about all Wii *owners*, just Nintendo fanboys who have been doing this same schtick since before the Wii was even born. Fair enough, though.

Kwaad said: Alot of people consider innovative 'today' about how you interact with a game through the controllers. This is something relatively new... (age old problem) I find things like 4wheel physics based drive trains innovative. The weight of your vehicle effects your grip... The type of tire/vechine effects traction in diffrent enviroments. The ability to knock bikers off the bike... without wrecking the bike... Things like that are what I feel is new. I bought Steel batallion... Day1... Because it had innovative controls. 40 buttons... 2 joysticks, a friggin toggle switch cover, and toggle switch... for ONE thing... ***EJECT!!!*** The game was hardcore. It was amazing. I am not a 'simple' loving person. I love complexity. The Wiimotes removed buttons. I like buttons, because they 'interact' better. I think the Wii will loose it's steam once the big hitters for PS3 and 360 come out this fall, and take the attention away from the geezers toy...
I know of a game that only needs three buttons and is very complex and takes, at minimum, 20-40 hours to complete. The story is very deep and takes place in a huge world where you can control several characters. I'm sure you've heard of it. Final Fantasy (place Roman numerals here). If you're wondering what the three buttons are: 1 Accept/Talk 2 Cancel 3 Menu I think this is a hardcore game, not sure, it only has three buttons.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

n00b said: Nah, I'd say I'm looking at it from a larger perspective -- some of us have seen this all before, with Nintendo cultists making the same grand pronouncements before. I'd say the people not using any perspective are the ones who have no sense of history whatsoever, yet think they can judge anything based on the first 4 months of a console's life. Some Wii fanboy writes an article the week before launch saying that it's all over, and people lap that up. It's absolutely hilarious.
I suggest you go read the bulk of Sean Malstrom's articles before you say he or I or John Lucas has a myopic view of things. He looks all the way back to the birth of home consoles in the early 70s, not just the last two generations. Personally, I think its pretty short-sighted to say "Nintendo lost the last two generations. They'll lose this one too," when there's nearly a quarter century of home console sales and trends to look at before the N64... And long story short, those trends suggest that Wii is following in the footsteps of Pong, Atari 2600 and NES... Thats not to say there aren't plenty of Nintendo fanboys who are gloating over early Wii sales, and then turning around and saying something idiotic like "Manhunt 2 is one of the most important upcoming games on Wii." But if you think thats me or John Lucas or Sean Malstrom, you're mistaken.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston: That was a fantastic link. Great analysis on that guy's part. A lot of the things we discuss on this forum focuses on the "pebbles"--rarely does a discussion go the way of analysing the strategies behind the 3 consoles. When the ball starts rolling, the momentum can't be stopped. Few people realize this, and instead point to the myriad of minor details that they convinced themselves would influence the sales of their console of choice. If the people in this forum are to participate in the stockmarket (assuming you can do pure plays on the 3 consoles) the same way they put forth their arguments, some people would come off to be substantial winners. nOOb: even if Sean Malstrom is a fanboy, he puts forth convincing arguments. For instance: -- on hardware: basically, he said that 360 are ps3 are without a focus. absolutely true. the cell architecture group themselves have said that it's unlikely developers will ever utilize the power of the machine. -- on high def: for every argument on the potential of blu ray, there is the argument on the other side on online delivery. in a way, ps3 even hedged their bets on this. if ps3 can deliver online movies, it's shooting its own blu-ray in the foot. -- on killer-apps: killer-apps are genre creators, games that pull in new audiences. even in this thread, i have mentioned that perhaps ps3 can save itself by rolling out blockbuster after blockbuster with its internal studio. that statement is flawed: it is likely sony can produce A+ games, but just because a game is A+ doesn't mean it is a killer app. more likely, sony's games will be in 2 or 3 main categories and among themselves, redundant and substitutes for each other. this is a bad sign for sony's gaming division.

the Wii is an epidemic.

The Wii has a "combo" killer going for it right now, Wii Sports and the Wii Remote. Losing one or the other would significantly reduce if not eliminate the wii's current sales numbers.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.