By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - about time to declare Wii the winner?

johnlucas said: It was time to declare Wii the winner on September 16, 2005 at the Tokyo Game Show. From there it was in the bag honestly.
I remember back then. I used to go around forums say "this is the gen sony finishes 3rd", but they'd always call me crazy claiming "look at MGS4". I made the argument that the 360 would wrap up the US and the hardcore market, whereas the Wii would follow the DS's lead and dominate Japan as well as carving out a big market in the US. All of this would leave the PS3 high and dry, but people were blinded by brand claiming the PS logo would carry them through regardless of other problems. Just look at how times have changed. (and I wanted to mention I called this ages ago)

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

sieanr said: I remember back then. I used to go around forums say "this is the gen sony finishes 3rd", but they'd always call me crazy claiming "look at MGS4". I made the argument that the 360 would wrap up the US and the hardcore market, whereas the Wii would follow the DS's lead and dominate Japan as well as carving out a big market in the US. All of this would leave the PS3 high and dry, but people were blinded by brand claiming the PS logo would carry them through regardless of other problems. Just look at how times have changed. (and I wanted to mention I called this ages ago)
Foresight is a beautiful thing, isn't it sieanr? John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

johnlucas said: Foresight is a beautiful thing, isn't it sieanr?
Only when it works. :)
n00b said:Nah, I'd say I'm looking at it from a larger perspective -- some of us have seen this all before, with Nintendo cultists making the same grand pronouncements before. I'd say the people not using any perspective are the ones who have no sense of history whatsoever, yet think they can judge anything based on the first 4 months of a console's life. Some Wii fanboy writes an article the week before launch saying that it's all over, and people lap that up. It's absolutely hilarious.
1) The controls 2) The media hype 3) The competition

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Double Post. :p

Very interesting, many guys here know Sean. Erik,Lucas, OriGin, me and now Lingyis too. Maybe we could open a thread only to discuss Sean's articles, they discuss around a lot of arguments with huge intelligence. If we are lucky, maybe Sean will post on Vgcharts forum in the future.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network

sieanr said: johnlucas said: It was time to declare Wii the winner on September 16, 2005 at the Tokyo Game Show. From there it was in the bag honestly. I remember back then. I used to go around forums say "this is the gen sony finishes 3rd", but they'd always call me crazy claiming "look at MGS4". I made the argument that the 360 would wrap up the US and the hardcore market, whereas the Wii would follow the DS's lead and dominate Japan as well as carving out a big market in the US. All of this would leave the PS3 high and dry, but people were blinded by brand claiming the PS logo would carry them through regardless of other problems. Just look at how times have changed. (and I wanted to mention I called this ages ago)
Um and what has been decided since then? You're basing where a system is 4 or 5 years from now based on sales from February? Really are you serious? You know nothing about the market obviously. By your logic the N64 should have been the best selling system of all time since it did so great early on. It will years before you know your prediction will be right, and if I had to guess I would say it will be very much wrong. And keep in mind the 360 isn't lighting things up beyond expectations. It's tracking barely ahead of the original X-Box and way behind the PS2 at the same points in their lifespan. I'm no Sony fanboy either. I want all three systems to do well.

Christopher_G2, I agree it's too early to call this war over but comparing the N64's early sucess to the Wii's is also absurd. The Wii has a significant majority of points that previous dominant consoles had that neither the 360 or PS3 have or ever will have. Obviously this still doesn't confirm that the Wii will win, but every day that the current trend continues is making it harder for the PS3 and 360 to fight back, and nobody has a clue as to when this "trend" will end.