By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - about time to declare Wii the winner?

If people didn't at least pick the Wii before launch, if not declare it the "winner", they probably just didn't do the research into the history of the videogame market and the business strategies of the companies. I didn't predict this fast take-off, but I told people Wii was going to win before it even launched... Sean Malstrom wrote an article called "Why Wii Won" which came out during launch week... He said it best... “How can the seventh generation be over already?” you ask. “Are you not jinxing it? We must witness sales performance before we declare a winner.” Oh, you need to stop thinking about the machines and more about the business strategies involved. Sales performance is merely a reflection, a type of ‘lag’ that appears as the business strategies undergo their thing. Around 80% of a console’s success is dependent before that console is even launched. http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=89&ed=10

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Its definitely too early - but you should also define what you mean by "The winner". This is something people keep missing, and is pretty important: 1/ Most hardware units sold? 2/ Most software units sold? 3/ Biggest exclusive software hits? 4/ Longest "lasting" console (before a sequel/successor is brought out)? 5/ Platform with the most revenue? 6/ Platform holder making the most money? 7/ Company *most* likely to go out of business? ... 1 - I suppose people usually mean '1', and yes - its too early. I think the Wii has a good chance of winning (as it is simply cheaper to make), but if the PS3 lasts 2-3 times as long in the market - who knows. And do you include sales of successors - that run the same software? 2 - Same as '1', but more open - the 360 "could" win this one. 3 - Probably the Wii (Wii Sports II) - but Halo 3 may win? Does the PS3 have a chance here? 4 - Almost certainly the PS3, thanks to Sony's strategy. But if things don't turn out well, maybe the 360 (year head-start). 5 - Probably the PS3 - due to expensive cost of console, extras, etc. But maybe also the 360 - as it had a year start, and premium pricing of software. 6. Wii (actually Nintendo) - easily. But whether this is Wii revenue, or DS revenue (does it even matter?) is up for debate. 7. Sony you would have to say (or exit the games market anyway...).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Alot of people consider innovative 'today' about how you interact with a game through the controllers. This is something relatively new... (age old problem) I find things like 4wheel physics based drive trains innovative. The weight of your vehicle effects your grip... The type of tire/vechine effects traction in diffrent enviroments. The ability to knock bikers off the bike... without wrecking the bike... Things like that are what I feel is new. I bought Steel batallion... Day1... Because it had innovative controls. 40 buttons... 2 joysticks, a friggin toggle switch cover, and toggle switch... for ONE thing... ***EJECT!!!*** The game was hardcore. It was amazing. I am not a 'simple' loving person. I love complexity. The Wiimotes removed buttons. I like buttons, because they 'interact' better. I think the Wii will loose it's steam once the big hitters for PS3 and 360 come out this fall, and take the attention away from the geezers toy...

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

TheSource said: Too early. Wait until it reaches 5 million in 2 regions or passes 360...at least.
Agree, but the potentional is there. Two years minimum before finished.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Kwaad said: Alot of people consider innovative 'today' about how you interact with a game through the controllers. This is something relatively new... (age old problem) I find things like 4wheel physics based drive trains innovative. The weight of your vehicle effects your grip... The type of tire/vechine effects traction in diffrent enviroments. The ability to knock bikers off the bike... without wrecking the bike... Things like that are what I feel is new. I bought Steel batallion... Day1... Because it had innovative controls. 40 buttons... 2 joysticks, a friggin toggle switch cover, and toggle switch... for ONE thing... ***EJECT!!!*** The game was hardcore. It was amazing. I am not a 'simple' loving person. I love complexity. The Wiimotes removed buttons. I like buttons, because they 'interact' better. I think the Wii will loose it's steam once the big hitters for PS3 and 360 come out this fall, and take the attention away from the geezers toy...
Kwaad, you think too much.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: Alot of people consider innovative 'today' about how you interact with a game through the controllers. This is something relatively new... (age old problem) I find things like 4wheel physics based drive trains innovative. The weight of your vehicle effects your grip... The type of tire/vechine effects traction in diffrent enviroments. The ability to knock bikers off the bike... without wrecking the bike... Things like that are what I feel is new. I bought Steel batallion... Day1... Because it had innovative controls. 40 buttons... 2 joysticks, a friggin toggle switch cover, and toggle switch... for ONE thing... ***EJECT!!!*** The game was hardcore. It was amazing. I am not a 'simple' loving person. I love complexity. The Wiimotes removed buttons. I like buttons, because they 'interact' better. I think the Wii will loose it's steam once the big hitters for PS3 and 360 come out this fall, and take the attention away from the geezers toy...
I remember the GC enthusiasts saying wait till Zelda, Starfox, SMS, etc. The GC's "Heavy hitters." You sound quite familiar, but let's flip the coin shall we? Wait until: SSB:B SMG MP:Corruption Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles Wii Fitness Wii Orchestra Wii Big Brain Academy As well as SPM, FE:GoD, Day of Disaster, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., No More Heroes, Mario Strikers Charged, Naruto: Clash of Ninja MVZ as well as other unannounced titles that will also make it out this year. But it's far too premature to declare a console winner, Nintendo is clearly catering to two vastly differing demographics.

"The things we touch have no permanence."

sometimes it looks like that you are not 100% satisfied with your ps3 and you must find reasons why you bought it and tell everyone that nintendo is bad ... there's no way to destroy our happiness - give it up i was in an student home last weekend with 6 girls and the wii - it was a great evening with much fun and a perfect end :))) but maybe kwaad don't like girls (he loves his ps3) but anyway, it is too early to declare a winner ... lets wait

It was time to declare Wii the winner on September 16, 2005 at the Tokyo Game Show. From there it was in the bag honestly. I guess some people like the suspense but I know there's no fight here. You're looking at the return of Nintendo full-force dominance, not success, DOMINANCE on the videogame scene which will ACTUALLY surPASS the days of the Famicom/NES. Now some think it's too grandiose to be talking like that. Well I'm not one to play it safe and wait for the wind to blow a certain way. I've been saying this kind of thing for months BEFORE the launch. Wii is the Future of Gaming. Plain and simple. The reason people stay surprised at Nintendo's momentum is because they really didn't think Nintendo had what it took to make impact on the industry. They really didn't believe Wii was legit, that's why they will continue to be surprised at every milestone this system passes. It's the WiiDS Phenomenon & you're just seeing the very beginning of it. I looked at the all-time greatest sellers sales charts on here recently & something tells me that pretty soon we'll be seeing Wii & DS titles closer to the top in a big crowd. I'm looking at my USA Today and it's starting to rain in with the gloom and doom clouds on Sony's performance with the PS3. Comparing it to the Wii naturally since they launched at similar times. That's WHY Nintendo made their launch right next to Sony's. It was to gauge the acceptance of this idea and document the shift of power in the industry. They launched by the PS3 to discredit it & its philosophy. And they will use their eclipsing of long-launched XBox 360 as the underline. I only speak for me so it's no problem for those who still think it's too early to call this contest. But in all honesty what's happening now with Wii was EXACTLY how I saw it happening. I've been making predictions on this since 2005. My predictions stand: •Wii surpasses XBox 360 in Worldwide sales THIS SUMMER—specifically within the month of July. •Wii surpasses XBox 360 in Americas sales ALSO THIS SUMMER—most likely in the same month of July. •Wii will have sold AT LEAST 20 million units by end of the year AKA December 31, 2007 at 11:59PM And one more I hadn't detailed: •Wii will go on to be the BIGGEST SELLING game console of All Time Worldwide SURPASSING *even* the mighty PlayStation 2 by the end of this gaming generation—the 7th. Big talk I know. But I guarantee this is what will happen. If you don't believe me, the clock should prove it soon enough. Time is a tattletale. Just wait & see. The entire 7th generation is Nintendo's in both console AND handheld. John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Erik Aston said: If people didn't at least pick the Wii before launch, if not declare it the "winner", they probably just didn't do the research into the history of the videogame market and the business strategies of the companies. I didn't predict this fast take-off, but I told people Wii was going to win before it even launched... Sean Malstrom wrote an article called "Why Wii Won" which came out during launch week... He said it best... “How can the seventh generation be over already?” you ask. “Are you not jinxing it? We must witness sales performance before we declare a winner.” Oh, you need to stop thinking about the machines and more about the business strategies involved. Sales performance is merely a reflection, a type of ‘lag’ that appears as the business strategies undergo their thing. Around 80% of a console’s success is dependent before that console is even launched. http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=89&ed=10
EXCELLENT, Erik Aston! Excellent in highlighting Sean Malstrom's article. That guy is brilliant. I learned of him from somebody posting a link to one of his articles in a forum I once visited. I was totally blown away by his ability to understand how this business runs. He enlightened me on many things I would not have normally thought of. I need to save his articles before that site disappears from the 'net. I want something to look back on as the industry progresses to see how well his thoughts & theories stand up. John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

johnlucas said: Erik Aston said: If people didn't at least pick the Wii before launch, if not declare it the "winner", they probably just didn't do the research into the history of the videogame market and the business strategies of the companies. I didn't predict this fast take-off, but I told people Wii was going to win before it even launched... Sean Malstrom wrote an article called "Why Wii Won" which came out during launch week... He said it best... “How can the seventh generation be over already?” you ask. “Are you not jinxing it? We must witness sales performance before we declare a winner.” Oh, you need to stop thinking about the machines and more about the business strategies involved. Sales performance is merely a reflection, a type of ‘lag’ that appears as the business strategies undergo their thing. Around 80% of a console’s success is dependent before that console is even launched. http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=89&ed=10 EXCELLENT, Erik Aston! Excellent in highlighting Sean Malstrom's article. That guy is brilliant. I learned of him from somebody posting a link to one of his articles in a forum I once visited. I was totally blown away by his ability to understand how this business runs. He enlightened me on many things I would not have normally thought of. I need to save his articles before that site disappears from the 'net. I want something to look back on as the industry progresses to see how well his thoughts & theories stand up. John Lucas
I read that Link, that guys is fantastic he really knows what he is talking about.