By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 360 RROD Hardware Failures Persist with Jasper Xbox 360

CGI-Quality said:
vitoxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:
leo-j said:
Squilliam said:
In other news, YLOD still persists on the PS3 on the 65nm process as well.

More news at 7.

thats what I was thinking before I opened the thread, im sure squilliam will come in and try to spin it around with ps3 negativity

what negativity? the YLOD is a problem, maybe not as wide as the RROD but still a problem, damn when i had mine, 3 other friends had it.

Because this thread has nothing to do with the PS3. That's what he's getting at, and Squilliam is known for Sony/PS3 negative spin in threads that don't pertain to Sony or Playstation.

I explained this already... YLOD will be with the PS3 as long as the RROD will be with the Xbox 360...

Its the error message, you can't fix the error message as much as you can't remove the possibility that a Windows system will BSOD even though I haven't seen one in years because thats the message that comes up when theres a serious error. The only way BSOD, YLOD, RROD will be 100% 'fixed' is if they either 1. Change the error to something else or 2. Make the systme 100% infallible.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

More news at 7.

Compare percentages of each console affected. 

Didn't think so.

CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
vitoxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:
leo-j said:
Squilliam said:

More news at 7.

thats what I was thinking before I opened the thread, im sure squilliam will come in and try to spin it around with ps3 negativity

what negativity? the YLOD is a problem, maybe not as wide as the RROD but still a problem, damn when i had mine, 3 other friends had it.

Because this thread has nothing to do with the PS3. That's what he's getting at, and Squilliam is known for Sony/PS3 negative spin in threads that don't pertain to Sony or Playstation.

I explained this already... YLOD will be with the PS3 as long as the RROD will be with the Xbox 360...

Its the error message, you can't fix the error message as much as you can't remove the possibility that a Windows system will BSOD even though I haven't seen one in years because thats the message that comes up when theres a serious error. The only way BSOD, YLOD, RROD will be 100% 'fixed' is if they either 1. Change the error to something else or 2. Make the systme 100% infallible.

Why take a jab at the PS3 though? It has nothing to do with this thread, that's what leo-j's point was.

Its just that you percieve it as a jab. The OP was that RROD still persists, I was merely countering that YLOD still exists, so what?

Tease.

CGI-Quality said:

If you weren't someone known for unnecessary negativity towards Sony/Playstation, it would have been no big deal. It isn't that big of a deal to me, I can just see leo-j's point. As you say, so what?

Probably with it, you may also be hoping that Microsoft has finally figured out the Three Red Light failure

I responded that YLOD also persists, obviously Sony hasn't figured it out yet. Therefore I used the PS3 as a context for a response. If there was a suitable buzzword for Wii failures, trust me I would have used that instead.

You can try to call me out on reputation if you want. Last time you did, it was about Killzone 2 and I proved succinctly that my previous posts had either been positive or neutral towards that game. You, yourself or Leo J especially have reputations as well and especially Leo J who was a god awful fanboy in the past. I defended the Xbox 360 against him without owning one myself.

Tease.

Xoj said:
Squilliam said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Squilliam said:
I actually deliberately abused my 360 and it didn't fail. What are the chances of a Falcon 360 RROD when its 6 inches away from a 2400W oil column heater over a 4 hour gaming session? Well I did that at least 20 times and no failure... ;_;

Holy shit your made of win!

But your nuts!

Haha, It was a cold house and I took some PS3s fan suggestions that getting up to change discs was an extremely bad thing to do with an Xbox 360 quite seriously.

if you really want your 360 to fail, just start playnig and move the console from vertical from horizontal.

and  do it with all your games, then try the same with the ps3.

If you look around on YouTube a bit, you will see that there are some pretty good videos showing that vertical vs. horizontal barely matters.  The most extensive one I looked at showed that horizontal runs slightly cooler at full load because it doesn't block that entire side vent.  What REALLY makes a difference is what you do with your 360 after a gaming session and what kind of surface it sits on.  When you run your 360 at full capacity for an extended period of time, it gets very hot.  When you shut down the system, it stays very hot and has no cooling fan running to let it cool down slowly.  (Microsoft could eliminate a lot of RRoDs by allowing the system fan to keep running after the unit has been powered down.)  Therefore, the most dangerous time for a 360 is the 20-30 minutes after shutdown.  To solve this, you can just let your 360 idle for about 20 minutes in NXE after a long session.  This will allow the system to slowly cool down instead of sitting there baking in its own heat after you just played Madden for 4 hours.  Either way, as long as you don't have your 360 sitting on carpet, vertical vs. horizontal is barely an issue.  A finished wood or glass area with plenty of ventilation is best.

Now, should we have to worry about all this?  No.  It sucks that this is a problem.  But I agree with Squill to an extent.  The YLoD pops up quite a bit in forums too.  Just do a Google search.  Or look on YouTube.  People get very frustrated with it.  It doesn't happen nearly as much as it did on the launch models of 360s, but it does happen.  Percentages or no percentages, no console is free of its defects.  But it is wrong to assume that current 360s are the same animal as the launch 360s.  They have a much lower failure rate and are probably at least approaching the "acceptable" percentage of failure. 

And finally, I have had 8 PS3s and they've all gotten YLoD.  There.  I can say the same random stupid shit on the internet about PS3s.  I don't hate the PS3, but there are people that do hate it.  And there are people that hate the 360.  (Hating a piece of plastic seems kind of stupid, but to each their own.)  And both sides like to "report" ridiculous things about the side they hate.  It's dumb.  The whole console war is dumb, meaningless, and petty.  Just play your games.  If you hate the 360, don't buy one.  If you hate the PS3, don't buy one.  If you like gaming, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to own both.

Around the Network
TheTruthHurts! said:
I have had 2 360. My first was a launch Core, never had any issues, sold it to a friend, who also has yet to have issues and still uses it today. My second is an Elite with no issues yet.

8th 360, I call Bogus, this guy is an idiot.

Same for me...The first 360 (traded in my original xbox, which never give me any problems...other than not having the biggest titles) I got was sold 2 days later for a tidy $500 profit...it took me 5 months to get my next one, a 20GB and I then sold that when I got a launch elite when those came out...with no problems (knock on wood!).  So, maybe I dodged a bullet with those previous 2 ones, but I just can't picture going thru 8 consoles...I've seen too many of these stories to believe them, so unless the claimant has documented evidence...receipts for example, I'll have to remain a skeptic. 

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:

If you weren't someone known for unnecessary negativity towards Sony/Playstation, it would have been no big deal. It isn't that big of a deal to me, I can just see leo-j's point. As you say, so what?

Probably with it, you may also be hoping that Microsoft has finally figured out the Three Red Light failure

I responded that YLOD also persists, obviously Sony hasn't figured it out yet. Therefore I used the PS3 as a context for a response. If there was a suitable buzzword for Wii failures, trust me I would have used that instead.

You can try to call me out on reputation if you want. Last time you did, it was about Killzone 2 and I proved succinctly that my previous posts had either been positive or neutral towards that game. You, yourself or Leo J especially have reputations as well and especially Leo J who was a god awful fanboy in the past. I defended the Xbox 360 against him without owning one myself.

sony never had 33% failure rate on the ps3.

you know everything breaks, but nothing breaks as much as 360.

and the point of the thread as jasper could still break, "RROD" is just a name to it.

YLOD even if you try to make it look as a wide spread problems it's a small % of the users.

Xoj said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:

sony never had 33% failure rate on the ps3.

you know everything breaks, but nothing breaks as much as 360.

and the point of the thread as jasper could still break, "RROD" is just a name to it.

YLOD even if you try to make it look as a wide spread problems it's a small % of the users.

33% in what context? Same day, same year, within 3 years, lifetime? You do realise that if I picked the right timeframe and knew the failure rate of the PS3 I could say that in x number of years 33% of all launch PS3s will be dead. Actually the PS3s failure rate is 100% if you consider a long enough timeframe.

Everything electronic will eventually break. If you wait long enough they all have the same 100% failure rate.

Ya, and noone would deny that a PS3 slim in 4 years can't YLOD so what?

No consoles have had reliable data given out. Since Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo handle most of the repairs themselves they are obviously not going to release that data.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

Its just that you percieve it as a jab. The OP was that RROD still persists, I was merely countering that YLOD still exists, so what?

RRoD just exists a lot more.  There was that report from the hardware repair firm a ways back that had the failure rate at 16% for 360,  and <1% for PS3; both numbers are likely out of date.  Anecdotally, 360 owners on this site seem to say much more often that they've been through 2+ 360s due to hardware problems.

Don't obfuscate with crap hypotheticals.  Per year, a higher percentage of 360s break.  Much higher.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Squilliam said:

RRoD just exists a lot more.  There was that report from the hardware repair firm a ways back that had the failure rate at 16% for 360,  and <1% for PS3; both numbers are likely out of date.  Anecdotally, 360 owners on this site seem to say much more often that they've been through 2+ 360s due to hardware problems.

Don't obfuscate with crap hypotheticals.  Per year, a higher percentage of 360s break.  Much higher.

Even if it exists more, so what? RROD exists, YLOD exists. They will cease to exist only when the consoles are 100% infallible.

Tease.