By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 will prevail again this Christmas IMO!

XxXProphecyXxX said:
@majin

There's also Ratchet crack in time and M.A.G since the official word for this is still 09 release.

Ah. Honestly I don't think M.A.G. will be a big hit, but Ratchet & Clank will probably do well, atleast close to what the last game did, perhaps better.

Around the Network

I don' understand, surely everyone is prevailing right now

prevail means survive right?

AkibaFan said:

Well, after the Wii, DS, PSP GO go crazy numbers wise, the 360 will prevail over the PS3. Right, Mr S.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

People who want to buy a PS3 might not want to pay the price even with a 100 dollar price cut but they probably will anyway and that's something people don't take into account. AFter the next price cut it might take another year or more for Sony to drop the price again so it's as cheap as it's going to get for now. So if somebody was planning on getting a PS3 then they will even if they still find it too expensive for what it does. Some might buy a 360 instead so it could be a win-win situation for both console makers. I'm confinced there is still a large group of gamers out there that wants to buy a HD console wih (most likely) a preference for the PS3 (as in they grew up with playstation). Sony's price cut will be the most important factor in which console will ''win'' the holiday season.

Squilliam said:
Console PS3 X360
Total

Last year for the 10 weeks for Christmas.

Long term vs short term, in the short term you can have a massive spike in sales due to a price cut and in the longer term total revenue from hardware falls whenever the price is cut. Therefore a 25% cut for the PS3 in price given that both the PS3 and Xbox 360 will fall below these numbers without any other changes will likely show similar numbers for the PS3 12 months from now as the PS3 is currently selling now. You may be wondering why the sales are so out of proportion with the current sales pattern. It isn't because of a massive short term spike in demand, its more due to how the consoles sell during this period and to whom the majority of people buying consoles are.

Now for the short term with a PS3 price cut. The short term you would expect to see a large initial spike followed by a drop off as the pent up demand for a lower price point is satisfied. This is pretty similar to how a hyped games sales numbers drops over the following weeks, only we're interested in how much additional sales the PS3 gets over those weeks rather than the total sales. Since much of this initial boost is likely to happen outside of the 10 week holiday period it does make the comparison feasable.

In terms of the market the Christmas season is a relatively favourable one for the Xbox 360 always. There are 3 important favourable conditions for the Xbox 360 coming up to christmas. The proportion of sales made up by the Americas rises to over 50% which is their strongest territory. The entry level cost of the Arcade unit becomes the most important price as the sales of the Arcade start to make up proportionally 50-60% of overall sales as people look for cheap gifts and because they feel the pinch due to excessive spending which is inflamed further by the recession making people more fiscally conservative. Lastly the rest of the market which is the core market have pretty much already made up their mind as to which system they want to get and in the United States (which makes up a larger proportion for this period) it is the Xbox 360. Therefore the relative price of the Elite compared to the PS3 is less relevant because that market has decided if they want an Xbox 360 or PS3 already and the people who haven't want the lower entry cost of the Arcade unit.

To wrap it all up!

The Arcade price must drop ~25% world-wide as this is the most important SKU for the undecided masses. The HDD upgrade should also fall to $75-80 which would make another clearly distinct price level @ $225/$229 which is distinctly cheaper than the PS3 (the old Premium). The most important price is the price out the door with the stuff people want. As the Xbox 360 Elite will still give some fantastic margins @ $299 we can look forward to some excellent bundles as we saw in 2007 with the Forza 2, MUA and Viva pack.

Interesting, but this is not a concrete prediction yet. Last year you ruled this site with your epic sales prediction for 2nd half 2008, but this time it seems you've chickened out completely by being extremely vague (it's called the fear of Slim lol, and is very understandable).

But maybe this is just a reveal of your preliminary thoughts.

Around the Network
psrock said:
AkibaFan said:

Well, after the Wii, DS, PSP GO go crazy numbers wise, the 360 will prevail over the PS2. Right, Mr S.

Get it right!

Everyone knows that the Xbox 360 is only competing with the PS2, and its selling really well considering the PS2 is half the price of the Xbox 360!

Tease.

@Ps rock

oh ok

xbox 360 will win again this winter but by not as much as last year.

Thanks Squillam for this good thread.
xbox 360 will beat Sony this holiday christmas but not by much... I don't see how Sony could change the way it is right now. They got a good product with the ps3 but I seem like peoples prefer the 360 and his live stuff.

The next big price point is the sub 160 mark. After than it's the 130 then 100.... Those are the hardware spike points and I think that Microsoft is aiming at them