By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What if LIVE was totally free?

ok i own both consoles. PS3 and xbox and i have a gold membership,
when my gold is up. i will become a silver member
and stick with the PSN i think psn is just as good as xboxlive
iam done with xbox

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network
SciFiBoy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SciFiBoy said:
if Live was Totally Free, it would be Totally awesome

like, Totally ftw, huh?

It is so sad to see how so many people say Xbox Live would be awesome if it is free. It is enlightening to that they think it is awesome as is.

actually i was merely poking fun at the thread title using Tottaly instead of Completley, imo, Completley would have fitted the title much better, lol

atm, i'd say its easily the best online out there, but PSN is improving imo, so maybe if PSN keeps getting better, then i would complain about the price, till then, i dont mind paying £5 a month. 

I wasn't really commenting on you. I just had an epiphany while reading your post. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I can write on a whim sometimes.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
SciFiBoy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SciFiBoy said:
if Live was Totally Free, it would be Totally awesome

like, Totally ftw, huh?

It is so sad to see how so many people say Xbox Live would be awesome if it is free. It is enlightening to that they think it is awesome as is.

actually i was merely poking fun at the thread title using Tottaly instead of Completley, imo, Completley would have fitted the title much better, lol

atm, i'd say its easily the best online out there, but PSN is improving imo, so maybe if PSN keeps getting better, then i would complain about the price, till then, i dont mind paying £5 a month. 

I wasn't really commenting on you. I just had an epiphany while reading your post. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I can write on a whim sometimes.

oh, ok, lol,

NightDragon83 said:
Yeah, because that extra $50 for a YEAR (which you can usually get online at Amazon or other sites cheaper) is a real deal breaker, but paying an extra $100-$200 for a system with "free" online is fine right?

If you take the difference between the 360 Arcade and the recently reduced PS3 160 GB bundle, that's enough to cover 5 years of XBL at full price of membership.

And even if you don't wish to pay for Gold... you still have access to all of the movies, arcade games, and other DLC that's available on XBL, you just can't play online multiplayer.

O NOES! Mr. Bill spots a troll!

If LIVE was free, it would be cherry. Folks are still paying for the service - more than the free PSN service. LIVE offers Netflix - and in all seriousness, in the past few weeks, it's the only reason I boot up my Xbox.

What, son, what? New York, New York!!!

how many gold memberships are there 15 million? That is 750 million in revenue, most of which will become profit. That is why we'll never see a free xbox live. Gamers may love free PSN but i'm sure Sony is wishing they would have charged a monthly fee even if it only was half that of xbox live.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
durtysouthhustlah said:
NightDragon83 said:
Yeah, because that extra $50 for a YEAR (which you can usually get online at Amazon or other sites cheaper) is a real deal breaker, but paying an extra $100-$200 for a system with "free" online is fine right?

If you take the difference between the 360 Arcade and the recently reduced PS3 160 GB bundle, that's enough to cover 5 years of XBL at full price of membership.

And even if you don't wish to pay for Gold... you still have access to all of the movies, arcade games, and other DLC that's available on XBL, you just can't play online multiplayer.

If LIVE was free, it would be cherry. Folks are still paying for the service - more than the free PSN service. LIVE offers Netflix - and in all seriousness, in the past few weeks, it's the only reason I boot up my Xbox.

I was unaware that making a completely logical point was the equivalent of trolling.

PS3 owners are always citing having to pay for XBL as the main reason why they prefer PSN, and they also use that point to justify the higher price point of the PS3 by saying that it makes up the difference in price between the 2 systems over the long run if you factor in paying for an XBL Gold membership.

All I did was point out that fact in my post but from an opposing point of view, saying that if you're willing to drop an extra $100-$200 up front for a more expensive system because it has "free" online, then what's the big deal with spending an extra $50 max a year for XBL?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

johnsobas said:
how many gold memberships are there 15 million? That is 750 million in revenue, most of which will become profit. That is why we'll never see a free xbox live. Gamers may love free PSN but i'm sure Sony is wishing they would have charged a monthly fee even if it only was half that of xbox live.

This is why they are trying to make every cent they can charging small amounts for Qore and taxing downloads with a price tag. It's going to get worse too. Sony fanboys think its a joke. Microsoft has proven a point that giving people quality service will ensure that people will make more purchases on top of the subscription. Sony only gave their installed base a free ride because of the PS3 launch price. Wait til the cost of a PS3 winds down. Sony isn't making the type of money they want out of home premium items either.

NightDragon83 said:
durtysouthhustlah said:
NightDragon83 said:

I was unaware that making a completely logical point was the equivalent of trolling.

PS3 owners are always citing having to pay for XBL as the main reason why they prefer PSN, and they also use that point to justify the higher price point of the PS3 by saying that it makes up the difference in price between the 2 systems over the long run if you factor in paying for an XBL Gold membership.

All I did was point out that fact in my post but from an opposing point of view, saying that if you're willing to drop an extra $100-$200 up front for a more expensive system because it has "free" online, then what's the big deal with spending an extra $50 max a year for XBL?

That $200 dollars that they are making up is on a yearly basis, so it doesn't hurt nearly as much as paying upfront. This is the reason it is such a sad argument. Microsoft dropped the price of the 360 and gave gamers opportunities to get their hands on their favorite titles at a fraction of what the cost should've been. The catch was the HD and a yearly service. I have no problem with that. I had a huge problem with Kaz Hirai telling me to get a second job and work the extra hours just to buy a god damn videogame system. That is proof that the head of Sony don't give a shit about the consumers.

^^^ S.T.A.G.E. broke teh interwebz!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

it would be a splendid move.

oh wow someone comparing the CHEAPEST 360 to the most EXPENSIVE PS3.

you have to buy a HDD for the arcade to be only, a HDD probably smaller than  80gb ps3 that it's 399$.

in the end an arcade would be only 2 years of only, with 20gb HDD.

a pro would be smarter move with 60gb-