By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What if LIVE was totally free?

Yes, those are private servers though. There are still dedicated public servers that are completely free to play on (especially for the games you listed), and some clan members have free access to the clan server when not in use.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
Tallgeese101 said:
on steam normal people are paying at least £15 a month to host private servers for COD, BF, CS(S) TF2 and all the rest.

No one ever mentions that cost when comparing to PSN or Live.

what it has to do? those that pay for private servers are willing to own a server and do whatever they want with them with a good connection. you still can host a server in your PC if you want, but choosing one or another doesn't mean you have to pay to play on other servers.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

ameratsu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ameratsu said:
Just because you don't pay doesn't mean you get an inferior service. Steam has most everything you'd need directly involving gaming, while xbox live has more multimedia features and a more streamlined setup. The fact that it's free, there's free user created content, and dedicated servers make it a great service.

Remember that Microsoft tried the Pay model with Games for Windows live. Granted it was a pretty much just a hollow shell of Xbox Live, the complete rejection of a pay to play model for regular (non-mmo) games is still interesting.

PSN has some issues compared to Live, especially related to the social/communication aspect. Short of making XBL Gold free, Microsoft could still make all their features (crossgame voicechat, crossgame invites, netflix, whatever) a paid service but online multiplayer free. I just don't see a good reason why microsoft has to charge someone to use their own internet connection to connect to another user when both users have paid for their games.

Why must people interject and then talk about steam?

Because it's a legitimate platform like PSN or XBL. I don't artificially seperate consoles and PCs like some people. Steam is a free service after all, and since it exceeds a paid service in several ways directly related to gaming it's a legitimate thing to bring up. I see the favorite passtime for some xbox fans is pretending the only way to play games online is with a console.

Why cant people just grasp that Steam is not a console product and end it with that? I used to play on Steam when I played PC games. I don't see how it is relevant to this, just to satisfy the void of PC fanatics who like to put down console games every chance they get.

Exactly. You have no rebuttal against steam itself and its advantages over a paid service, so you attack the platform instead of the issue.

PSN is good most of the time, but not as good as xbl in many ways. In terms of using either service to just jump online and play a game they're very similar though PSN gamers seem to be allergic to using headsets. There are dedicated servers for some PS3 games as well yet it's still free. So yes, XBL is the best of the console services so long as you don't mind paying for it, with some gold benefits adding nothing to the online gaming experience. Sounds like that's all you wanted to hear.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

I think it would increase sales slightly, but not enough to be a major impact unless it came with a price cut. Live should have been free in the first place. It isn't worth the money in my eyes. It is a stellar service overall, but still not worth it.

It makes too much money for Microsoft to just get up and say, goodbye! Live makes the game division millions, and that helps with losses, and exclusivity deals. It would be one of the dumbest business moves I have ever seen if they did it though.

If Live became free, I would only use it to maybe play exclusive 360 demos, or if a JRPG has online.

Around the Network

Microsoft giving up their cash cow, never, they have millions on the gold subscription....now if things went belly up like live did on the PC, then Microsoft will have no option but make it free but that will never happen on the xbox since they have no competition on the same platform.

It's like they were advertising live Silver, which is free, until you realise that all the good stuff that people want is only available to gold members, in any case it's a nice trick to get people in because technically there not lieing, just playing word games.

Sad thing is when people get me with the word games, I always return the product and buy something else. So I would have just returned the Xbox if I didn't know what I was getting into.

coolbeans said:

Then all your original statement does is point out the obvious, of course MS' gaming division would lose money if they made Gold free.   I am full aware that gold accounts and ads are unrelated revenue streams, but they do both make money and the possiblity of Live being free will drive in more customers, which in turn makes companies pay more for ads, which makes that hefty chunk lost from Gold members a possiblity it's not as bad as you'd think.

You'd be surprised how often the most obvious truths tend to get overlooked or even argued by silly people who fail to recognize them.

If live was free the quality would suffer. Features would be skipped, and corners would be cut. I'd rather pay than have to deal with something like PSN or the Wii online service.

FayeC said:
If live was free the quality would suffer. Features would be skipped, and corners would be cut. I'd rather pay than have to deal with something like PSN or the Wii online service.

That's no true, the service level can be maintained and be free, all Microsoft needs todo is find another source of revenue to support live, like comercials, but I guess microsoft is fine charging customer and advertising to them at the same time, cuz for them 2 sources of revenue is better than one...but they should be careful as PSN is catching up and it's free.