By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSN vs. Xbox Live - which is better now?

perpride said:
S.T.A.G.E - I don't even think you believe half the reasons you listed as true reasons Live is better. I mean, exclusive Guitar Hero Avatars???

OT - PSN has a big edge on Live right now. First of all it's got Final Fantasy VII so the thread should end right here. Secondly, it's free and is something that has constantly been improving. The only thing left that I actually want is cross game voice chat, something that there is already an option to use (but it is currently not available yet). Now, I'm not going to start listing every little feature because certain people in this thread have listed some pretty ridiculous things as advantages (I have 1 vs. 100 on my iPhone for gods sake, and watching movies with your friends online is an advantage???). But I will name the things that are most important to me: games. PSN gives you the opportunity to play many games online for free, as well as the chance to download even more amazing ones:

- Warhawk.
- Metal Gear Online.
- Wipeout HD.
- Resistance 2.
- Noby Noby Boy.
- Fat Princess.
- Flower.
- SOCOM.
- Killzone 2.
- Pain.
- Flow.
- Motorstorm 2.
- Little Big Planet.
- MLB 09: The Show.
- Gran Turismo 5: Prologue.

Sony has done an amazing job creating an exclusive online experience for almost every mainstream genre. Now add Gran Turismo, Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy XIV, MAG and also multiplatform games like Resident Evil 5, Burnout Paradise and almost ever sports franchise, and you will see where I am coming from.

PSN has never had the edge  of Live. PSN wouldn't be PSN today if there was no live. Even then, Sony wouldn't ever get it. Do you actually throwing in actual games will make PSN seem like it has more? I didn't list one actual game that wasn't on Xbox live arcade, and if I did it was  because of some exclusive feature for Live that can be found no where else. Sony hasn't done an amazing job at anything. They just followed Microsofts lead, scared to force people to pay a premium for the service because they dropped the PS3 for $600.

Around the Network

Whichever one each individual user uses the most /thread.

Okay:

PSN:

- Great Exclusives like Flower,Wipeout HD, Quest For Booty, Fat Princess, Pixeljunk etc.
The best 2 Arcade games are coming also to the PSN (castle crashers and braid)
- PSone games
- Vidzone
- Webbrowser
- Home
- Dedicated Server for 1st/2nd Party games
- soon 256 player, does the "superior" XBL have that?
- and the most important:
ITS FREE!

XBL

- Marketplace looks better
- many ppl have a mic
- great exclusives also, but they lost the 2 best ones
- cross game chat

for me, psn is defintaly the winner

sorry for bad english, as always

ElectronicRocker said:
Okay:

PSN:

- Great Exclusives like Flower,Wipeout HD, Quest For Booty, Fat Princess, Pixeljunk etc.
- PSone games
- Vidzone
- Webbrowser
- Home
- soon 256 player, does the "superior" XBL have that? Well, it has a 100,000 simultaneous player game.
ITS FREE!

XBL

- Marketplace looks better
- many ppl have a mic
- great exclusives also, but they lost the 2 best ones
- cross game chat

- Games On Demand

- Indie Games

- Primetime

- Integrated Netflix that allows for movie browsing

- Party System

- TrueSkill ranking system

- Weekly discounts

- Built in Matchmaking system

- And More

Onyxmeth said:
pearljammer said:

I completely agree with you but only in regard to how you interpret the word better.

Before I had started reading over the thread, my initial interpretation of better was: which of the two services is better suited to me or, in otherwords, which of the two is most suitable to my preference/needs.

I don't think either party would be wrong here, it's just simply a matter of whether you interpreted better as meaning of greater quality or of greater suitability; of which both are incredibly subjective. One can either be better suited to your needs, or it can be of greater quality in your opinion. However you decide which one is better, is simply up to you... I think so anyway.

OT: I'm now playing Fat Princess online, but it's the first game that I've done so in about a year. Online gaming doesn't appeal much to me, so I'd say that PSN is the better choice for me. Although, I must admit, LIVE (for the month that I did use it) seemed to be the much cleaner experience.

Well it just seems to me that adding in the price differences is more in line with asking "Which service has better value". I mean we compare a hell of a lot of things here at VGC, and it seems only in this one special case does price ever determine which of two things is better. Every other time it's a matter of the strict qualities of two opposing products. I also think of all arguments a PS3 fan would use to prove something to be better, price would be the last one, since it's completely backwards to the reasons why one purchased a PS3 over an Xbox 360 in the first place (for those that did). Price to me seems more like a compromise someone makes and not necesarily what they really feel is better. To give another example, I may want Fallout 3 more than Oblivion, but I may settle on Oblivion because it's $30 cheaper and keeps more money in my wallet. Now I did get a comparitively good game, but did I get the game I wanted, or merely the one I settled for?

I'm just not of the mind that people's inability to afford things are reasons to say something they actually feel is inferior is now the superior product. All it's really better for is their financial situation, not really for them.

I understand what you're saying and, as I said, completely agree with you in a sense. I just think its completely legitimate to interpret this thread as being of better value as opposed to of better quality. It really wasn't clarified in the OP, he used a combination of the two it seems.

I mean, better is synonymous with both superior and preferred.

I supposed the answer best lies somewhere inbetween

Around the Network
ElectronicRocker said:
Okay:

PSN:

- PSone games
- Vidzone
- Webbrowser
- Home
- soon 256 player, does the "superior" XBL have that?
ITS FREE!

XBL
1.Windows Live (IM's) & Chatting with your friends who don't have Xbox Live.
2. Voice Chat
3. Live Party
4. Netflix
5. 1 vs 100
6. Shadow Complex (Coming Soon)
7. Guitar Hero 5 exclusive avatars in the game.
8. More DLC
9. Actual sense of community the second you sign into Xbox Live.
10. 'Splosion Man
11. Banjo-Tooie
12. Facebook
13. Joy Ride
14. Perfect Dark
15. Download Xbox titles
16. Serious Sam HD
17. The Warriors: Street Brawl
18. Uno Rush
19. Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram
20. Rockband gets more content ojn Xbox Live
21. Watching movies with your friends
22. Avatars
23. Major Nielson's news
24. Videochat
25. Theme backdrops
26. Twitter
27. Last. FM
28. 1080 P Zune store

You severely devalued Xbox Lives offerings, so I am glad to offer my services.

AussieGecko said:
shio said:
PSN is the best choice because it's free.

Xbox Live is a rip off, and is nowhere the awesomeness that Steam is (and Steam is free!)

And actually one could argue that xbl shits all over the steam network.

Steam is very poor, I've used it loads and it doesn't compare to PSN let alone xbox live lol...

man, i hate these my Dick vs your Cock fights they're so childish and stupid.
there i said it!! and i don't care.

For me PSN is better content and value wise. Live is better functionality wise.

"In the end, you're always on your own."

~ Squalll Leonheart

CGI-Quality said:
PullusPardus said:
man, i hate these my Dick vs your Cock fights they're so childish and stupid.
there i said it!! and i don't care.

Although I wouldn't have put it as harshly, , I agree with your point Pullus. It's an OPINION people, you either like one, the other, or neither. There are no right or wrong answers in here.

This is what happens when people post in absolutes i.e: "LIVE is better, no question" or "PSN is the greatest because it is". It's pretty ridiculous since neither is factual.

what i hate more is that people try to force anyone to agree with them

jeez, i like the stuff that i like , get over it.