By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Sales To Overtake Xbox 360 In 2011? News

DjFlex53 said:
Carl2291 said:
Why are so many people crying in this thread?

All it is is a simple estimation, look at the graphs and you can see what they did isnt stupid... its just a simple way to estimate how it will end up if things keep in that average.

The title for the article even has a question mark, its not like they are saying it WILL.

Sorry...the title of the thread has a question mark but the article doesn't. The article says it WILL.

Go take another look, then come back and say "sorry" again.

Around the Network

I always find these "lets assume nothing ever changes" extrapolation arguments to be really humorous.

kowenicki said:
@carl

my method is equally as "scientific" and shows it will never happen... so which is right?

Neither are "right" as they are only averages and estimations.

Im interested though in something, ive looked at the graphs they've shown and your estimates. On the graphs they have PS3 at ~62 million. And 360 at ~58million.
Practically the exact opposite of what you have it at.

I believe this comic is relevant to the topic at hand.

when will people come to their senses and realize that Sony failed this gen. Not only do consumers not care about their console, but now they don't care about their tvs,cameras, and other products. same problem across the board. too pricey.  The price cuts have come too late in the cycle.  Their name didn't carry them like they thought it would.  

Around the Network

I feel kinda sorry for the people that think"When the PS3 gets a price cut its all plain sailing"

Its just like when the PS3 launched (it'll outsell the 360 in a year, (then two years), (then 3 years) and so on)

You would think to actually take a step back and look at the situation, hope will get you nowhere.

It is very very highly unlikely the PS3 will be ahead by January 2011.

kowenicki said:

ha ha ha ha haaa

sorry.

PS3 will need to outsell 360 by:           

496,456 per month to catch it by Jan 2011. 114,567 per week.
291,026 per month to catch it by Jan 2012. 67,160 per week.
205,848 per month to catch it by Jan 2013. 47,503 per week.
159,241 per month to catch it by Jan 2014. 36,748 per week.

Current rate is:  -48,716 per month      
Avge over last 6 mths            
Negative number means 360 is still outselling PS3 by that amount per month on avge    

This is very inaccurate.

However, I agree......PS3 won't catch the 360 by Jan 2011

Taz! said:
kowenicki said:

ha ha ha ha haaa

sorry.

PS3 will need to outsell 360 by:           

496,456 per month to catch it by Jan 2011. 114,567 per week.
291,026 per month to catch it by Jan 2012. 67,160 per week.
205,848 per month to catch it by Jan 2013. 47,503 per week.
159,241 per month to catch it by Jan 2014. 36,748 per week.

Current rate is:  -48,716 per month      
Avge over last 6 mths            
Negative number means 360 is still outselling PS3 by that amount per month on avge    

This is very inaccurate.

However, I agree......PS3 won't catch the 360 by Jan 2011

It's not inacurate its just an average, obviously Christmas will sell more and the summer months will sell considerably less. So its about right.

We once did an exercise in a statistics course that showed that smokers have a LOWER incidence of lung cancer than the average population. I can't remember what factor we massaged to make it happen like that, but it was pretty funny and showed how easy it is to make numbers say whatever you want them to say. Basically "The numbers can't lie!" is wrong. The numbers lie all the time.

Wow so those people can predict the future? So its given PS3 will be second in 2011?