By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Uncharted 2 Innovations

U2 gets grief for being a wannabe tomb raider/gears copy. While it has similaries, Gears isnt nearly original at all itself.

So I'm listing some things in U2 that I havent seen in any other games before.

1. full Cover system combined with full platforming

2. Being able to pick up gas tanks, throw them at enemies, and shoot the gas tank while it's in mid-air to blow up enemy.

3. Pulling enemies off ledges while climbing (LOL@assassins creed 2 copying this)

4. Ability to melee enemies by grabbing and throwing them into the wall

5. Plunder mode - capture the flag but being able to toss the flag and having to throw it up a story to score it

6. Seamless gameplay to story without loading times (uncharted 1 was the first game with that really)

Around the Network
hellonearth said:

U2 gets grief for being a wannabe tomb raider/gears copy. While it has similaries, Gears isnt nearly original at all itself.

2. Being able to pick up gas tanks, throw them at enemies, and shoot the gas tank while it's in mid-air to blow up enemy.

3. Pulling enemies off ledges while climbing (LOL@assassins creed 2 copying this)

5. Plunder mode - capture the flag but being able to toss the flag and having to throw it up a story to score it

6. Seamless gameplay to story without loading times (uncharted 1 was the first game with that really)

1. those are not really innovations, this is the combination of two things separately

2. in halflife 2 you could do this.

3. splinter cells?

4. assassins creed already has this and also a few other fighting games

5. unreal tournament games have a very similar if not identical mode to this but i cannot think of it

6 99% of cartridge based games have this its not new.

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

uncharted 2 is going to be awesome, but pretty much everything you said right there is not an innovation by any means. Innovation means it is bringing somthing new to the table.

1. Uncharted 1 had this, so credit should be given to the first game.
2. You could do this in crackdown and many other games.
3. Can't think of any right now, but I'd be surprised if this hadn't been done before.
4. really? you think this is something new?
5. So... the innovation is being able to throw the flag? ever herd of halo?
6. Yes, the first uncharted was like that, so are a ton of other games from this generation (gears for example). Not to mention lots of other games from last gen. Then we can go further back and I can't think of a single nes, snes, genesis game that stopped for load times.

Basically, Uncharted 2 is going to be incredibly awesome, I'm not debating that. However, at least come up with some real innovations that it has if you are going to make a thread about them.

A good innovation is the multi level/climbing multiplayer. Something like that.

How many more "Uncharted is teh beztezt eva mozt original eva evrything in it is new and original teh graphicz" threads are you going to create?

Sure talk about the game and be excited for it but this is ridiculous.

Plus you seem to be using the game to rag on games that are on the 360

bobacob said:
hellonearth said:

1. those are not really innovations, this is the combination of two things separately

2. in halflife 2 you could do this.

3. splinter cells?

4. assassins creed already has this and also a few other fighting games

5. unreal tournament games have a very similar if not identical mode to this but i cannot think of it

6 99% of cartridge based games have this its not new.

1. Uncharted's the first game to combine full platforming with a full cover system. Uncharted 2's the first game to have multiplayer with that. Therefore, yes, it is an innovation and makes a huge difference. 2. never played it but you could still say U2 the first non-FPS to implement that. Just like Mirrors Edge is a platformer done in FPS view. It isnt the first platformer ever but gets credit for originality being the first FPS to implement that gameplay. 4. It;s different. 5. dont remember it 6. LOL @ going to cartridge games. It goes without saying that I'm not talking about CARTRIDGE games but rather 3D games of current generations.

Around the Network

This has been in other games, but its good to see it on U2.
I also liked the fact that in Uncharted 1 you could fire while hanging on a ledge and stuff.

hellonearth said:

Get over it. Uncharted is a fantastic game, but yes it is quite the Gears/Tomb Raider copy. There's nothing wrong with that, since both franchises are or were amongst the best, and if you're going to copy off somebody, that's where you start.

1. I wouldn't really call this innovation, since you don't do both simultaneously, hence combining them. Having the two as completely different aspects of the game is not really innovation in my mind. Jade Empire had SHMUP sections in an airship inbetween the RPG sections, but as the two never coinsided, it never seemed very innovative, just a mashing of different genres at different times.

Also Uncharted did not have full platforming. I don't know if part 2 will. Uncharted had a Tomb Raider/ICO kind of platforming, consisting of much wall climbing/swinging etc. where as long as you press the correct button you will reach your next destination. Actual platform jumping was pretty rare in the game. I feel a game like N+ that has momentum built into jumps to excel at the platforming aspects, making it more than going through the motions, is full platforming.

2. I'm drawing a blank on what, but I'm 100% positive other games have done this before.

3. Assassin's Creed comes out like a month after Uncharted. It had almost the exact same length in development cycle. I guarantee you neither one was able to copy a damn thing off the other.

4. Mark of Kri, Madworld, Godfather: Blackhand Edition, and I'm sure plenty of other games have had some sort of melee move involving you grabbing an enemy and chucking them against a wall.

5. I don't really understand what you're saying here. Sounds interesting though. Is this part of the multiplayer? I love Capture the Flag in games.

6. No argument here. I'm surprised that we hadn't had a title do this until Fall 2007 though.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

@Onyxmeth
Yeah I saw part of the multiplayer of U2 and they do a CTF match.
It uses treasure instead and the destination point is in a second story so you have to throw
the treasure up there to a teammate (or for yourself to climb up there and retrieve it)

1. Yes it's innovation. Any way you want to cut it. It's original. No other game fully implements platforming with cover like Uncharted does. The only other game that has as deep a cover system is Gears of War, but Gears certainly doesnt have the platforming.

3. We saw the first gameplay of U2 back in April/May.... unless we were in the development house of Ubisoft we will never truly know if they copied it or not, but it surely does seem that way. They didnt show it at E3 but now they're showing it off at comic con. Could be a last minute addition to the gameplay after they saw the U2 gameplay

4. its different

5. Yes its part of multiplayer

6. yea MGS4 could learn some things from Naughty Dog!

AdventWolf said:
This has been in other games, but its good to see it on U2.
I also liked the fact that in Uncharted 1 you could fire while hanging on a ledge and stuff.

thanx i forgot that one my title shouldve been Uncharted innovations instead of just uncharted 2