By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Uncharted 2 Innovations

Here's a huge innovation that I forgot as well:

Hand painted textures, the secret to Uncharted's amazing graphics.

Dont know any other games that do that.

Around the Network

Nothing new, all of that has been done before several times over , some even a few decades ago.

That being said Uncharted 2 is still going to be a great game, one of things on my list w hen I get a PS3.

hellonearth said:
1. Yes it's innovation. Any way you want to cut it. It's original. No other game fully implements platforming with cover like Uncharted does. The only other game that has as deep a cover system is Gears of War, but Gears certainly doesnt have the platforming.

3. We saw the first gameplay of U2 back in April/May.... unless we were in the development house of Ubisoft we will never truly know if they copied it or not, but it surely does seem that way. They didnt show it at E3 but now they're showing it off at comic con. Could be a last minute addition to the gameplay after they saw the U2 gameplay

4. its different

5. Yes its part of multiplayer

6. yea MGS4 could learn some things from Naughty Dog!

1. I still don't think it's innovative. No need to argue over. Just agree to disagree.

3. Assassin's Creed II was shown at E3 with a segment involving the new assassin climbing a large tower, and throwing an enemy over by pulling on I believe the back of his shirt. The enemy falls a few hundred feet to his death. That was on June 2nd I believe. Also it would be entirely difficult to see something another game is implementing in April/May and try to get it into your gigantic budget of a game in time for a November release. Trust me, it didn't happen. If anything, Uncharted 2 copied Assassin's Creed II because I have no proof and I say so.

4. A slight tweaking does not make it innovative. Explain what makes it so innovative that it's different than the countless other games that have had a melee move that threw an opponent against a wall.

5. Sounds good. I'll be sur eto check it out.

6. Actually, of all the games you could have mentioned, why MGS4? There was a seamless transition between cutscenes and in game action. Have you ever played the game?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Seamless transition in MGS4? LOL...waiting 5 minutes while a new mission installs isnt seamless.

Uncharted 2 is inferior to Genji: Days of the Blade. You're just making this thread because you're pissed off about it.

Tease.

Around the Network
hellonearth said:
Seamless transition in MGS4? LOL...waiting 5 minutes while a new mission installs isnt seamless.

You said "...seamless gameplay to story..." did you not? MGS4 has that, which can be seen as in-game action turns into cutscene, and 4 hours later turns right back into another 5 minutes of gameplay, no loading required. The installs are precisely what gave them the ability to do that. In case you didn't realize, Uncharted takes a shit load of time to load the game also when you load your save, far more than most other third person action games do. I even found GTA IV to load quicker than Uncharted does, and that game is open world.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

@Onyx: HL2 was really the first game to make full use of thrown exploding barrels. The gravity gun...

Tease.

Since when did the term "innovations" become so dumbed down?

Splinter Cell: Being able to shoot chandaliers. Ram people's heads into toilets. have a little ghost image to show where you were. Break a door on someone. INNOVATION!!!!

See? Its really quite easy to think these things up. Want me to say some for God of War, Bioshock, or Alan Wake?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Not innovations, but Naughty Dog took all of these achievements from separate, previous games and combined them into a single game. That's a commendable accomplishment.

hellonearth said:

U2 gets grief for being a wannabe tomb raider/gears copy. While it has similaries, Gears isnt nearly original at all itself.

So I'm listing some things in U2 that I havent seen in any other games before.

1. full Cover system combined with full platforming

2. Being able to pick up gas tanks, throw them at enemies, and shoot the gas tank while it's in mid-air to blow up enemy.

3. Pulling enemies off ledges while climbing (LOL@assassins creed 2 copying this)

4. Ability to melee enemies by grabbing and throwing them into the wall

5. Plunder mode - capture the flag but being able to toss the flag and having to throw it up a story to score it

6. Seamless gameplay to story without loading times (uncharted 1 was the first game with that really)

1. If you count splinter cell as having a cover system (attaching to walls) and being able to climb and jump ladders, platforms, etc. then the Spy vs. Merc modes in Pandora Tomorrow were the first I can think of to feature something like this in a multiplayer and third person platforming setting.

2. I'm not totally sure but if my memory isn't playing tricks on me you can do this in Crackdown. It's also a third person point of view.

3. Chaos theory. Gotta love that lighthouse in the first level where you can do this.

4. I will agree that watching that vid of U2 where Nathan did this caught me by surprise. It is a neat little move. AC does let you grab enemies and throw them into things but it isn't like this move as Nathan did it from being in cover.

5. I thought tossing the flag was common to capture the flag modes... I think I'm going to go watch some videos of this to see what you mean entirely as I might be missing something.

6. Again I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean no loading screens whatsoever? Tales of Vesperia on the 360 when installed on the hard drive has such miniscule load times that you may as well be playing off a cartridge. Other than that I can't think of load times for games off the top of my head. Instead of memorizing which games have load times, I'm too anxious for the load to be over so I can play! A welcome feature for a game I'm as thrilled about as Uncharted 2. Means less time waiting and more time playing :)

Also, I don't want to downplay Uncharted 2. Since SC:C was delayed this is my most awaited game of the fall (tied with Borderlands and Assassin's Creed 2) but I'm hoping people don't start hyping it too much. I think that's what made the first game so special. It came almost out of the blue with little hype and totally blew away most who played it. With all the hype surrounding this one I think it might put some people off and annoy many others - especially when threads like this are made with some pretty outrageous claims.