By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Companies that could enter the console war

A free or really cheap ad-funded console from Google, that would be interesting. But I think a cell phone will come first, maybe that will expand into portable gaming. Stationary console next? Not sure.

A SNES-level console at $10 and free games, would it sell? Just going out on a tangent here...

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
Game_boy said:

Google

AMD (Advanced Micro Devices)

Apple, Inc.

Sega

IBM

Google - They would have to sell something. That's not google like.

AMD - With the aquision of ATI, they could. But it would suck, becuase AMD sucks. (sorry AMD fans)

Apple - When was the last time a AAA game came out for apple, that WASNT made by bungie?

Sega - do they even make money just from software? Without counting hardware losses?!

IBM - IBM does not deal with the public. And if they did, the console would cost 5000$ and be 10 PS3s strapped together to make a mega system.

Not really. EA, Ubi, WalMart, are more likely if you ask me.

I doubt Walmart would go into the console business. Sure they have enough money too, but really they make enough profits off of just selling them. 

stranne said:
A free or really cheap ad-funded console from Google, that would be interesting. But I think a cell phone will come first, maybe that will expand into portable gaming. Stationary console next? Not sure.

A SNES-level console at $10 and free games, would it sell? Just going out on a tangent here...

ssj12 said:
Game_boy said:
ssj12 said:
Intel would be fun. Core 2 QX 9650 Extreme in a console OMG!!!

That's why I said AMD, except AMD has graphics too. Besides, upcoming Phenom > QX9650.

ummm the QX9650 is Intel's new 45nm processor. So AMD's craptastic Phenom <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< QX9650

On the assumption that Xeon and Core 2 are similar performers (same core) and likewise for Bareclona/Phenom:

In server benchmarks, 2.0GHz Barcelona = 2.0GHz 65nm Xeon. Therefore 3.0GHz Barcelona is roughly 3.0GHz 65nm Xeon. 45nm Xeon is 10% faster clock-for-clock on average than 65nm Xeon. Therefore 3.0GHz Barcelona is roughly 2.72GHz Xeon. Therefore, per above, 3.0GHz Phenom is roughly 2.72GHz Penryn.

We have seen Phenoms at 3.0GHz with triple Crossfire and no special cooling or overclocking. Therefore the fastest Phenom at launch (3.0GHz) will be 91% of the speed of a QX9650. In fact, Barcelona has HT3 disabled, but Phenom has it enabled which will raise performance to parity I believe.

Seeing as both 3.0GHz Phenom and QX9650 will cost around $1000, which is totally out of most people's price range, Phenom will be absolutely competitive in the <$250 mainstream desktop space with 45nm Penryn. It also has slightly lower power consumption due to High-k metal gate on Penryn.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Apple would probably expand an ipod to also play games, but i cant see it being actually aimed at the DS market, just making the ipod a more attractive mp3 player.

I cant see any company, especially an american one even attempting it, they only heve to look at how much MS have thrown at the the idea so far.

Around the Network
Game_boy said:
ssj12 said:
Game_boy said:
ssj12 said:

That's why I said AMD, except AMD has graphics too. Besides, upcoming Phenom > QX9650.

ummm the QX9650 is Intel's new 45nm processor. So AMD's craptastic Phenom <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< QX9650

On the assumption that Xeon and Core 2 are similar performers (same core) and likewise for Bareclona/Phenom:

In server benchmarks, 2.0GHz Barcelona = 2.0GHz 65nm Xeon. Therefore 3.0GHz Barcelona is roughly 3.0GHz 65nm Xeon. 45nm Xeon is 10% faster clock-for-clock on average than 65nm Xeon. Therefore 3.0GHz Barcelona is roughly 2.72GHz Xeon. Therefore, per above, 3.0GHz Phenom is roughly 2.72GHz Penryn.

We have seen Phenoms at 3.0GHz with triple Crossfire and no special cooling or overclocking. Therefore the fastest Phenom at launch (3.0GHz) will be 91% of the speed of a QX9650. In fact, Barcelona has HT3 disabled, but Phenom has it enabled which will raise performance to parity I believe.

Seeing as both 3.0GHz Phenom and QX9650 will cost around $1000, which is totally out of most people's price range, Phenom will be absolutely competitive in the <$250 mainstream desktop space with 45nm Penryn. It also has slightly lower power consumption due to High-k metal gate on Penryn.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3092&p=7

Intel wins.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:
Game_boy said:
ssj12 said:
Game_boy said:
ssj12 said:

Intel wins.

Don't be stupid. That's nowhere near what Phenom will launch at. That's actually an immature stepping and later steppings have showed up to 3.0GHz as I said. In fact, I used that very article to prove my first point, which is that if Phenom is at 3.0GHz then it will be parity with Penryn at 3.0GHz.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

darthdevidem said:
@Andrewpeirce

exactly, I can just imaging how awesome it would be

But with APPLE there's 1 problem

PRICE!!

If they do what Sony SHOULD have done, they will be fine. Offer 3 devices: one with multimedia, one with just games, and one with both. Apple already has their stright multimedia device. So they Could have an iPlay and and iPlay core. iPlay could start at $300, the core at $150... or something. Above 150 for a handheld is a bad move though Imo. Sony should have started with a

$250 all in one device

$150 gaming device

$175 stragiht multimdia device- with 2 GB memory stick duo (when other get a $50 price cut, this unti gets a $25 cut, and memory is doubled)

Apple has shown they have already learned from Sony's mistake. They figured the iPhone was too higly priced, so they cut it by $200- AND gave thier earlybirds and $100 rebate- which hopefully keeps 75% of them early adopters in the future. 

just thought of something:games
Where would apple draw support? They would surly get initially strong 3rd party support, but what about first party?
Microsft, GE, Sony and Apple are basically in a media war, no way they are helping each other. So none of those title. Nintendo will always help themselves... and Microsft supports Nintendo thanks to Nitendo being enemies with everyone Microsoft's is enemies with... the enemy of my enemy is my friend :)
So what would apple do about 1st party exclusives/exclusives in general?
Also I think Apple needs to start with handhelds then grow... they failed with consoles once, remember? :P

Game_boy said:
Kwaad said:
Game_boy said:
ssj12 said:
Game_boy said:
ssj12 said:

Intel wins.

Don't be stupid. That's nowhere near what Phenom will launch at. That's actually an immature stepping and later steppings have showed up to 3.0GHz as I said. In fact, I used that very article to prove my first point, which is that if Phenom is at 3.0GHz then it will be parity with Penryn at 3.0GHz.

Greater Size, = greater cost

Phenom, is MUCH bigger. It also uses ALOT more power, and thus creates ALOT more heat.

More expensive, more power, more heat. Same performance.

Intel = Cheaper, less power, less heat. Same performance.

If I was to say a winner, I'd say intel. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!