By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - WATCHMEN is not a good movie.

I just watched the movie today. I rented it on BluRay and really, really wanted to like it. But I couldn't.

These are my personal opinions.

-Watchmen had a very good marketing campaign, decent cinematography, and nice special effects. Those are the only good things I can say about this movie.

-3 hours is way too long for any movie. If you can't wrap up the story in 2 hours, you're just dragging on. Watchmen was 3 hours of bullshit with 10 minutes worth of special effects.

-The premise of the movie is that Comedian gets killed and then they investigate what happened. However, WHY should any viewer care about the Comedian getting killed? The movie made no effort to get fans to have any sort of attachment or sympathy for Comedian at all. Who gives a fuck if he got thrown out of the window.

-I didn't fully understand the story. No, dont blame me. It's the directors fault for not properly conveying the story. It's the directors fault for losing my attention so quickly. By the time they got around to the part in Antartica I was already falling asleep and thinking "damnit, when is this bullshit gonna end?".

-Weak characters and character development. Super Heros with no super powers? Dr Manhatten is the only one with powers but he has no personality at all. He's a nerdy physicist with no personality.

-The first part of the movie is a fancy music video. Instead of developing the story and characters, it comes across as a **** music video. Are you kidding me?

-A nude scene with a flat chested chick. That's it?!?! There was more glowing blue cock in this film than tits. Youd think with the amount of Dr Manhattens crotch they were willing to show, they'd balance it out by showing some more tits.

If anytone actually liked this movie, please explain why...I dont see how anyone could enjoy this film.

Around the Network

Read the graphic novel.
Also, 3 hours is not to long for a movie.

I haven't seen the movie, but to sum it up you didn't like it because it was too long, you disliked the idea, you didn't follow the story, and...there weren't enough tits?

If you didn't like the premise, why did you see it?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
I haven't seen the movie, but to sum it up you didn't like it because it was too long, you disliked the idea, you didn't follow the story, and...there weren't enough tits?

If you didn't like the premise, why did you see it?

Watch the movie yourself and tell me you can follow the story properly.

Read the reviews on rottentomatoes.com for Watchmen and they are mostly saying the same thing I am. The story is a big clusterfuck with limited character development. Youre left with 3 hours of nonsense.

Considering the length of the graphic novel they did a pretty good job getting what they did into the movie. I can see how the film would be hard to follow, it was made for the fans of the graphic novel who would have no problem following it. The character development is much more pronounced in the graphic novel, and because of the way the story is told from chapter to chapter it's hard to put that into a cohesive narrative. So i once against suggest reading it.

Around the Network
dystopia said:
Considering the length of the graphic novel they did a pretty good job getting what they did into the movie. I can see how the film would be hard to follow, it was made for the fans of the graphic novel who would have no problem following it. The character development is much more pronounced in the graphic novel, and because of the way the story is told from chapter to chapter it's hard to put that into a cohesive narrative. So i once against suggest reading it.

It certainly was not marketed that way. I guarantee you a very high majority of people who watched the movie had never read the graphic novel.

"Why read a graphic novel when I can just watch the movie?" is what many people think. You cant make a movie and expect that everyone watching it has already read the novel.

Also, even some people who did read the novel absolutely hated the movie. I'm sure the novel is good from the reviews Ive read, but this movie is trash no matter how you spin it. The author of the novel even took his name off the movie because he didnt want to be associated with it. That's how bad it is.

I agree with the sentiment that the movie was lackluster, but am not entirely sure that the source material is not to blame. The premise isn't necessarily flawed, but it isn't necessarily entertaining. The problem does lie in the audiences ability to empathize with the main characters, and the movie spends a lot of time making you dislike them as much as possible. That may be the point, but it is not pleasant.

Especially when your getting a whopping three hours of watching socially maladjusted individuals that are little more then psychopaths. The movie fails as a casual experience, and the viewer could probably do with more contraction, and more action. A heavy hand at the editing table may have helped the movie.

Probably a good view for fans, and I am sure it is ripe with fan service. However if your looking for a movie that will draw you in rather then push you back this is not the movie for you. I do appreciate the approach the movie took it just isn't very entertaining.

Wow! I just read the nudity thing... I do not like you :-|

edit: disreguard this. I did not mean to post :-| sry

I think it's just important to realize they didn't call watchman unfilmable for 20 years for no reason. The narrative structure would be very challenging to replicate on film, especially given the length of the source material, and while i agree that it wasn't as cohesive as it could have been, being a long time fan of the graphic novel and having read it long prior to seeing the film i thought they did a decent job at bringing the core concepts which the novel addresses to the screen. visually it was spot on, and i think the actors did a good job all things considered. read the novel, you will understand then why it ended up the way it did on screen, it's very challenging source material.

dystopia said:
I think it's just important to realize they didn't call watchman unfilmable for 20 years for no reason. The narrative structure would be very challenging to replicate on film, especially given the length of the source material, and while i agree that it wasn't as cohesive as it could have been, being a long time fan of the graphic novel and having read it long prior to seeing the film i thought they did a decent job at bringing the core concepts which the novel addresses to the screen. visually it was spot on, and i think the actors did a good job all things considered. read the novel, you will understand then why it ended up the way it did on screen, it's very challenging source material.

I see what youre saying, and Im sure the novel is great. My point is; the movie sucks. That's all. After going through 3 hours of watching Watchmen I have absolutely no desire to read the novel. It was honestly one of the worst movies Ive ever seen.