By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst : Who Cares About Microsoft ?

@Adventwold : And MS lost a lot with Xbox 1 (billions of $ actually), which is a gaming loss. So what ?

Around the Network

Microsoft is an empire in decline, no question. Their core strengths in the 1990s were their OS monopoly and MS Office; their core strengths today are... their OS monopoly and MS Office, both much the worse for wear. The 360 has been a wonderful subsidy for console owners, but I see no sign Microsoft is capable of being a genuine media company, a la Sony or Nintendo.

Trouble is, both cores are under threat. It's not just Google, Microsoft's entire biz model is going the way of vacuum-tube computing. Computing devices are ubiquitous, cheap, and should be run by open source; MS Office is just one of many platforms. Apple is back and will only grow stronger, while cloud computing, or something like it, is inevitable.

The future of computing is not monopolies. It is open source, cooperation, and strategic licensing. And I do have to blame Microsoft's top managers for not understanding this -- Ballmer & Co. are as clueless about this shift as Disney is about the digital media commons.

mario64 said:
@Adventwold : And MS lost a lot with Xbox 1 (billions of $ actually), which is a gaming loss. So what ?

LOL, first you say "It doesn't matter who is profitable first, what matters is who will be the most profitable in the long run.

MS Entertainement Division is losing 130 million $ this quarter by the way..."

What kind of response is "And MS lost a lot with Xbox 1 (billions of $ actually), which is a gaming loss. So what ?"

So what? You answered it yourself, the $130 million is a gaming loss.

Torillian said:
TruthforFree said:
Carl2291 said:

The guy you responded to seems to have a screw loose...

But why do you have to bring up Sony three times in a thread about Microsoft?

And id just like to point out, gebx is the guy who posts the Sony hate articles, dont try persuade someone to take his job.

MARIO64 - Is gebex's OPPOSITE TWIN - He reports all things that portray microsoft in a negative light.

Why hasn't torillian banned this microcephalic?

He's not banned because being obviously biased is not ban worthy.  Gebx got banned for doing that kind of thing because he would have 5-6 threads at a time all on the front page.  Until Mario 64 comes close to actually cluttering up the front page with his anti-MS threads like Gebx did with his Anti-Sony the two situations are not parallel.

In that case what's the trolling toleration treshold?

Can I troll twice a week?

Four times per month?

Three times per day?

If you guys allow blatant trolls and your only criteria for banning is the amount of threads they open we are entitled to know what's the current agreed treshold by the moderating team. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

This thread in itself is not trolling, and Gebx posting anti Sony news isn't trolling in and of itself. Gebx was found to be trolling because he clutterred up the forums with multiple anti Sony news threads at the same time.

People are biased, and sometimes they'll post up stuff that is also biased and against the things you like. That in and of itself is not trolling. Now if I look on the front page and there are four threads all against the same company at the same time from the same person then that's taking it too far. And that's what Gebx did.

Around the Network

i care about MS. I love MS.

Torillian said:
This thread in itself is not trolling, and Gebx posting anti Sony news isn't trolling in and of itself. Gebx was found to be trolling because he clutterred up the forums with multiple anti Sony news threads at the same time.

People are biased, and sometimes they'll post up stuff that is also biased and against the things you like. That in and of itself is not trolling. Now if I look on the front page and there are four threads all against the same company at the same time from the same person then that's taking it too far. And that's what Gebx did.

So you are saying there's no trolling, just spamming which means I can safely troll vgchartz as long as I don't spam?

Which brings me back to my original question: how many troll.. err "biased" threads can I post per day until it's considered spamming? Afterall, I'm sure many people in this forum are exercising self-restrain and they'd like to vent some. If Mario64 is allowed, everyone should be allowed.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

There is trolling, and there is flamebait. This thread is iffy, but it isn't quite over the line as far as I'm concerned. You can ask some other mods if you like, and maybe they'll make a different decision, but all he's done is post some other person's opinions and agreed with them.

And there isn't any given number per day, if you want to post biased threads you do so at your own peril.

Torillian said:
There is trolling, and there is flamebait. This thread is iffy, but it isn't quite over the line as far as I'm concerned. You can ask some other mods if you like, and maybe they'll make a different decision, but all he's done is post some other person's opinions and agreed with them.

And there isn't any given number per day, if you want to post biased threads you do so at your own peril.

But just as Gebx had a consistent post history of anti-sony threads, so does Mario64 have a consistent post history of anti-microsoft threads.

Seeing as the only difference you appreciate and the sole justification for Gebx's ban is the amount of threads, we are entitled to know what's the treshold agreed by the moderating team so we can all have some fun flamebaiting, I mean posting "biased" threads.

If you aren't clear on this, it's a predictable behaviour that people will register sockpuppets just to test these tresholds without risking their "main" account which in turn would make the forums a worse place. In fact, such a behaviour might already be happening as we speak.

I care about Microsoft because they invented:
The Web Browser
The Operating System
The Desk

I mean without them I'd still be using Betamax.