By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one who thinks $400 is still expensive?

IN B4 bannage

Around the Network

Nah ... Sony wants us to think paying $399 for a BR player that plays games - but not PS1 or PS2 games - is great, but if they added BC, I would consider it. However, based on the current offering of games, no, it's not worth it.

Look at the Wii's lineup and look at the 360's lineup - stellar. The PS3 lineup? Not so much. So, kids will fool their parents into buying one because most kids on their block have them - or they see Playstation and are totally uninformed ... or they want a cheap BR player.

Sony can't offer a PS3 with BC for that cheap - and it's killing them. It's their own fault to bet the bank on BR - and use their console and brand to push it. SMH at this decision ...

mike_intellivision said:
One important point -- $400 > $300.

Why do I mention that? Because Sony sold a lot of PS2s (esp. in Japan) by being the least expensive DVD player.

However, since Blu Ray units are already now starting at $300, it can't depend on that same market for the PS3.

Mike from Morgantown

QFT. Sony simply cannot afford to let HD-DVD have players that cost half as much. HD-DVD players will be down to $199 and perhaps even $149 this holiday season. Went to Costco today and the HD-DVD player was sold out at $249. The days of the PS3 being a cheap BR player are over.  

$250 is the max range I willing to paid for any console, if the premium 360 reach that prize I'll buy it, if the ps3 with BC reach that prize I'll buy it. but any console above $250 I'll not even consider it, because I barely play console games. Every time I buy a new game I dont even have time to play it. my GC,xbox,ps1,ps2,DS,PSP,even the Wii(spent 10mins on metroid,mario striker charged,paper mario) is all collecting dust right now because I dont have time(I still have a few budget games from each system I bought long time ago still sealed in a wrap). So console really have a low value to me. $250 is the max what every new console is worth to me.

I agree $400 is still a pretty high price. But a 60gig at $400, I didn't want to let the deal go, especially since 60gig is the last that'll ever have EE chip in it. $400 for a 40gig without BC, now to me, that's a rip-off.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Around the Network

It's all perceived value. People don't think of it as $400. People notice that it WAS $600, but now it's way less.

madskillz said:
Nah ... Sony wants us to think paying $399 for a BR player that plays games - but not PS1 or PS2 games - is great, but if they added BC, I would consider it. However, based on the current offering of games, no, it's not worth it.

Look at the Wii's lineup and look at the 360's lineup - stellar. The PS3 lineup? Not so much. So, kids will fool their parents into buying one because most kids on their block have them - or they see Playstation and are totally uninformed ... or they want a cheap BR player.

Sony can't offer a PS3 with BC for that cheap - and it's killing them. It's their own fault to bet the bank on BR - and use their console and brand to push it. SMH at this decision ...

40GB PS3s play ps1 games.

also, game lineups are subjective. what you find "stellar" someone else might find lacking, or simply adequate. As it stands, the Wii has the least number of highly ranked games (games ranked over 80, according to critics) out of any current gen system while the ps3 lacks "AAA" games (again according to critics).

After reading posts like this it seems some of you have unsettled business with Sony. I'm really wondering what they did as a company to be the focal point of so much negativity.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

FishyJoe said:
mike_intellivision said:
One important point -- $400 > $300.

Why do I mention that? Because Sony sold a lot of PS2s (esp. in Japan) by being the least expensive DVD player.

However, since Blu Ray units are already now starting at $300, it can't depend on that same market for the PS3.

Mike from Morgantown

QFT. Sony simply cannot afford to let HD-DVD have players that cost half as much. HD-DVD players will be down to $199 and perhaps even $149 this holiday season. Went to Costco today and the HD-DVD player was sold out at $249. The days of the PS3 being a cheap BR player are over.  

You mean QFL, as in Quoted For Lies.  I may not be the most knowledgeable person when it comes to economics, but I do know for an absolute certainty that I bought a DVD player for under $200 before the PS2 was widely available (just after the Christmas from hell, at my birthday in January).  The PS2 MIGHT have been a relatively cheap DVD player in its early days in Japan, but it never competed with the cheap DVD players in the US by the time it launched.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I dislike Sony (because of their dominance in the last 10 years and their arrogance), but I actually think $400 is a great price for a PS3 so early in it's lifetime. Unfortunately it doesn't have the exlusive games yet. I might buy it when it's down at $300 and if Final Fantasy XIII seems to be a real awesome game (MGS4 isn't my cup of tea) plus a couple of still unannounced great exclusives are released for it.

too much, I say 299 with 1 controllers n a game