By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one who thinks $400 is still expensive?

Honestly.

I can't beleive how many threads there are where people claim the $400 price point is the "sweet spot" for the PS3 and will move millions of consoles this season. Sure, it will move more units but its not the sweet spot, its not "mainstream", its not cheap...

Over the past year, the 360 proved how well a $400 console will sell - respectable but nowhere near PS2 numbers. Yet some people think that this price cut is going to do that, make the PS3 into a PS2 overnight. Now you can make the argument that the 360 had issues with the brand that prevented it from selling better, and that is true. However, the PS brand has its own fare share of bad PR, and unlike the first year of the 360, it has stiff competiton this season.

Really, $400 is still fucking expensive.; its more than the PS2 launched at, and equal to the 360 at launch. Quit thinking its cheap.

Now this price cut isn't bad, far from it, but people significantly overestimate how much it will increase sales, they significantly overestimate how willing the "mainstream" is towards dropping $400 on a toy and they significantly overestimate how much it will increase sales (360 dead? PS2 owners will now flock to the PS3? Are you fucking kidding?)

To the meat of my point; has the current pricing of "next-gen" hardware made people think $400 is reasonable? Has it gotten to the point where people are disconnected with the reality of video games expense?

IN B4 ur poor, wiitard, ect 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

I think it's still expensive, obviously, also no PS2 support?? Did I read correctly, that's just fucking stupid.

Yeah, that's the absolute max I will pay and there better be something I really want if I'm going to pay that much.

Also, the 360's Core had an important psychological value. Even if you hated it, it told you that the 360 was just a $300 system, with an extra $100 for the better experience, but otherwise, it cost the same as the first Xbox.

The same obviously cannot be said for the PS3, which launched at around double the price of the PS2.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Of course it's still expensive....

Around the Network

You can't be in before anything if you're the one making the post, hehe.

Is $400 still expensive? Yes.

Will PS3 sales increase? Yes.

Is the language needed? Not really. It detracts from your position, and incites feelings in those who oppose your viewpoint.

When something starts out as $600 and comes down to $400, that's quite a step in the right direction to get to a mass market price point. Sony fans have every right to be excited.

of course its still expensive but youd be kidding yourself if you said that 400 is not gonna bring in more consumers... the 360 sold pretty good at 400.. of course it had a better library but still

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Dolla Dolla said:

You can't be in before anything if you're the one making the post, hehe.

Is $400 still expensive? Yes.

Will PS3 sales increase? Yes.

Is the language needed? Not really. It detracts from your position, and incites feelings in those who oppose your viewpoint.

When something starts out as $600 and comes down to $400, that's quite a step in the right direction to get to a mass market price point. Sony fans have every right to be excited.

What are, you 12? Profanity is part of our vocabulary; we're going to use it when we feel particulary strong about something, or at least want to convey the sense that we feel strongly about something. Thanks, Mr.Mom.

That being said, let me ammend my first statement: What are you, fucking 12?

But yeah, to the OP, $400 is still quite a pricetag. Especially since it's not so much a price cut as much as a stripping of hardware and then paying for what we get.  

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

If there were better PS3 games, it would be a good price... But no, it will not significantly increase sales.

blaydcor said:

What are, you 12? Profanity is part of our vocabulary; we're going to use it when we feel particulary strong about something, or at least want to convey the sense that we feel strongly about something. Thanks, Mr.Mom.

That being said, let me ammend my first statement: What are you, fucking 12?

But yeah, to the OP, $400 is still quite a pricetag. Especially since it's not so much a price cut as much as a stripping of hardware and then paying for what we get.

Actually, cursing shows one of two things. Either you feel particularly strong about something, or you lack the vocabulary to properly express your feelings. 12 year olds are usually the ones who will throw it around quite freely. Nice try though. And you spell amend with one m, not two. Are you 12?

I know sinear is free to express himself with curse words, I just thought it wasn't needed in this instance, and likely to rile up some fanboys.