By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mark Rein continues to anger Nintendo fanboys

Kasz216 said:
Epic's main buisness is selling engines for PS360.

Any game made on the wii is lost money for them.

No surprise that he'd talk crap about it.

Most developers struggle on the Wii, at a visual level. If they could make an engine for the system, one that'd leave The Conduit and Mario Galaxy in the dust, I'm pretty sure they'd get a really good return on their investment. He's just cherry picking here.

Around the Network
kanjitech18 said:
Viper1 said:
Wii flops lose money.
HD flops shut down entire developers.

Sad but so very true. Anyone want to make a list of once great development houses now dead this era?

Midway

Factor5

Add on the list if you want to. These only come straight to mind.

Both of them deserved to fail with barely average products.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Hmm I thought Factor 5 were the Haze guys (those bancrupted too iirc) ?

Anyway did Midway release anything good after Mortal Kombat 3 ages ago ?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Mark Rein is just an huge fascist, sorry for the words but this is true.

He is scarred that Wii can change the market until the point the technological progress won´t be made over the graphical capabilities but in the interface capabilities, he wants a continous progress in graphics only because thanks to this he can continue selling their graphical engines, he doesn´t want the market to change and he is going to make all the possible things for stopping the change.

One of his ideas is boicoting the Wii, can anyone of you tell me why Epic don´t license Unreal Engine 2.X for Wii but it has an original Xbox version and even a PS2 version? 

If you can´t  then let me tell to you that Epic doesn´t want to see the another studios making ports of their games to the Wii using the minor version of their engine, this is the reason why a lot of Wii developers have to develop a good engine since the beginning in the development of their games. If Epic stops its evil and insulting attitude to the consumer and put Unreal Engine 2.X for Wii then the quality of Wii library will go up and more enthusiast will buy the console because the quality of the library will go up.

I hate when developers believe that consumers must adapt to them, we are the center of things, not them.

dontsee said:

that's the mindset of every big ceo/developer or whatever towards wii. nintendo made wii so much casual that the core games dont sell well unless it's nintendo. and all those guys will use this scenario as their alibi not to put effort on the wii.

i wish nintendo showed something spectacular, like TW:OOT, but looking at their game development it's never going to happen. and my gutt feeling is even nintendo's major ips will face tough time selling in the future(e.g. punch-out). some of u will argue that, but tell me what nintendo game has a big buzz like ac2, mw2 made by nintendo/3rd parties. u may also say their core games r coming, but waiting for that another 1 or 2 years will not going to help the wii owners getting major ips. and when a console loosing those ips, most gamers tend not to invest money behind that console.

Zelda and Mario-games tend to have a big buzz like that, as well as the sales to back it up.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:

Look at how he cherry-picks one EA Wii game, Madden 2009 to prove his misguided point.

EA's other recent Wii titles have dominated the Wii Top 20 recently and are enjoying healthy sales in their positions. EA is making a Wii/DS exclusive Need For Speed, and in terms of quality, has improved its Wii Support by leaps and bounds. Also they have Dead Space Extraction on the way.

I love this. You said he cherrypicked one dumbed down game for wii and then helped his point by bringing up 2 more dumbed down games for wii. Classic.

Zlejedi said:
Hmm I thought Factor 5 were the Haze guys (those bancrupted too iirc) ?

Anyway did Midway release anything good after Mortal Kombat 3 ages ago ?

Free Radical made Haze.  They got bought out by Crytek.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

mike_intellivision said:
Basically, this quote: “But you know if Nintendo comes out with a Wii 2 or a Wii HD, and it's got a couple more processors and a little more memory and better graphics, then yes we'll be on it" shows that his company is interested in being able to sell a common product to multiple vendors. Currently, the Wii does not meet those requirements, thus diversification would come at a cost.

I read somewhere (sorry I cannot find it -- I was on a different computer) -- that costs continue to escalate for production of games ... so much so that the fear is that the era of vast, story driven, graphical masterpieces may be coming to an end.

If you produced middleware for vast, story driven, graphical masterpieces and software that was considered the same, you would be upset over the little white box as well.

Mike from Morgantown

Could it be this article?

http://terminalgamer.com/?p=423

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

bardicverse said:
Wait, Epic is still relevant? I thought the Crysis engine pretty much made all of Epic irrelevant.

Not at all.

Almost no developer bought the CryEngine 2 to work with, but there are over 50 released games based on the Unreal Engine 3 and a lot more to come.

It makes sence.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB