By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mark Rein continues to anger Nintendo fanboys

Nintendo defence force in full action, look at that damage control, it brings a tear to my eye, truly a beautiful site to behold, more beautiful than watching the sun set....truly is.

On a serious tone here, Epic is a graphics engine developer, that's what they do best, and from the start they invested money and time creating the UE3 tech which was targeted at the PC/360/PS3 hardware.
Apart from graphics, the UE3 also supports physics and great tools that developers can use, but the engine is more known for it's graphics fidelity, and frankly the wii can't handle UE3 in it's current form, the only benefit UE3 would have on the wii are the dev tools, in that case they may as well retro fit UE2 engine with the new tools but having said that, at this stage that too is pointless because there is already allot of middle ware available for the platform, so again no need for them to even invest.

Also all this talk about how all developers should make games on the wii just because it has the largest install base is crap, remember, a company has to make things that that particular install base want, otherwise they will fail, it's like GM trying to sell their cars to an install base that like motorbike...yeah it ain't gonna happen, a company targets their product to people that are most likely to buy it, and in this economic recession it's even more essential that they get it right, cuz even if a wii game is cheap to make, if it flops then that's money they've lost and a loss is a loss regardless, so companies are better off making products they feel will sell at least enough on the platform to either minimise loss or make money and everything in between.

The problem with what nintendo has done in expanding the market is that they've not actually expanded it in the traditional sense, rather they've created a completely new market who demand a different product, hence why the traditional games from the genres we like don't sell well. This new market didn't get into gaming in the first place with the traditional type games so expecting them to transition from mini games or the like to the other genres is silly, the only reason they got into wii gaming was because it was different, easy, non time consuming since narrative is not an issue in most, and because the controls weren't intimidating, having said that, the Nintendo hardcore will always be there to make sure that Nintendo title do well.

Now I'm not saying that what Nintendo is bad, cuz it's not, infact it's created a new market that developers can venture into once they find out for sure what products this market actually want, and this is a good thing since they'll be servicing different needs, as they say..different strokes for different folks...of course there will be some over lap, like those whom own a HD console/PC and a wii, having said that, one has to realise that all though the gaming population has grown, so to has the divide in the demographic of this very population.
It is now a somewhat even divide...the faster people realise this, then the faster they can choose the appropriate console that meet their gaming needs and habits, remember at the end of the day we don't buy consoles to support the company, we buy them so that we can play the games we wants, and that's it.

my 2 cents on this enjoy ^_^

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
Hmm I thought Factor 5 were the Haze guys (those bancrupted too iirc) ?

Anyway did Midway release anything good after Mortal Kombat 3 ages ago ?

Free Radical Design were the makers of Haze. They were the bulk of the Goldeneye and Perfect Dark teams from Rare. They made the well though of Timesplitters series. They didn't go bankrupt they were actually purchased by Crytek.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Trying to imply the lost profit or reduced profit is the fault of the Wii? Clearly he didn't pay attention to the fact that the biggest Wii supporters, Activision and Ubisoft, are making money.

Activision and Ubisoft are the biggest Wii supporters ???

What exactly does Activision have on the Wii aside from Guitar Hero ?

And why do you guys keep bitching about Ubisoft Wii support all the time then...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Darc Requiem said:
Zlejedi said:
Hmm I thought Factor 5 were the Haze guys (those bancrupted too iirc) ?

Anyway did Midway release anything good after Mortal Kombat 3 ages ago ?

Free Radical Design were the makers of Haze. They were the bulk of the Goldeneye and Perfect Dark teams from Rare. They made the well though of Timesplitters series. They didn't go bankrupt they were actually purchased by Crytek.

REALLY!?

Those are my two favorite FPS to this day.  Timesplitters was a decent series, but not as good as those two games.  What the hell happened with Haze?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Joelcool7 said:
trestres said:
@GriffinA: What great original games is Activision bringing to the Wii? Besides 100 Guitar Heros and liscensed movie games they aren't supporting the Wii at all. Not even bringing MW2 after bringing CoD: WaW, Activision is truly pathetic with their Wii efforts.

Well Activision Blizzard announced it might be ditching the PlayStation3 if Sony doesn't cut its prices. If that happens and it free's up tons of their staff they will likely shift focus more to Wii. Not to mention the phenominal sales of COD:WAW will definatly drive Activision to put more effort into making Wii titles! Being the new super power Activision Blizzard needs to push their Wii support because at the moment its the most profitable console!

Yep they are so much behind the Wii and CoD:WaW did so well that MW2 will not be on the Wii.

LOL

Around the Network

Guys. Guys. Guys. You just misunderstood him. Let me explain in simplest form so that you don't need an economy major to understand it.

Despite making profit on the Wii, companies are still losing money.

Now, re-read the sentence above until you understand it. It's not that hard.

@ Ail: Ubisoft has a range of exciting games like Petz and Rabids go home for Wii users. Not my cup of tea personally, Space Quest III is calling me and thats a much better game.

As for Activision, they aren't making a Wii version of their highest selling series, I was hearing talk of a boycott recently not sure if thats still going on.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
@ Ail: Ubisoft has a range of exciting games like Petz and Rabids go home for Wii users. Not my cup of tea personally, Space Quest III is calling me and thats a much better game.

As for Activision, they aren't making a Wii version of their highest selling series, I was hearing talk of a boycott recently not sure if thats still going on.

Yeah I guess our Wii fanboys on this site really do love their Petz games and the way Ubisoft is supporting their platforms !

PS : I ain't complaining about Ubisoft and Activision as a HD owner. Can't wait to get my hands on AC2 !!!

dontsee nintendo made a game system, you can make core games.  There isn't "core game blocking chip" installed on each wii

Ail said:
Squilliam said:

Yeah I guess our Wii fanboys on this site really do love their Petz games and the way Ubisoft is supporting their platforms !

PS : I ain't complaining about Ubisoft and Activision as a HD owner. Can't wait to get my hands on AC2 !!!

Well at least it does indicate support, but hell from my perspective it doesn't seem like a very well supported platform for the games I like and the quality I expect from those games. No offense to anyone, its just my own perspective nothing more.

I wonder how many Wii releases there are in comparison to the HD consoles. I was looking at the month of July for Americas and there were 15 Wii games listed and 7 Xbox 360/PS3 games listed. It seems the developers are using the mantra, 'make em cheap, make em in bulk' when it comes to the Wii. Irony is that this is precisely in line with the expected behaviour of developers/publishers only it was welcomed way back sometime when people didn't realise that the quality would be tripe. Its hard to figure that anyones really making money in that environment, taken as a group rather than individual big/small publishers. 

Tease.