By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mark Rein continues to anger Nintendo fanboys

Ail said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Squilliam said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

I don't see that happening in the remaining 2.5 years this console generation is likely to last.

You don't ascribe to the extended console generation dogma? Are you talking about a completely new cycle or just the Wii?

I don't think the current consoles are simply going to disappear in 2.5 years but we've seen evidence that being the first to release new console in a generation yields favorable results in terms of developer support. 

Were I in Microsoft's place, I would wish to get that same lead next generation as I did in this one.  Were I in Sony's place, I would do everything I could to stop Microsoft from getting developers onboard and experienced with its system's API before mine.  Were I in Nintendo's place, I would be watching the competition very closely.

I think jumpstarting the next gen in the current economy when PC shows no sign of c ompeting with the HD consoles would be a very bad idea.........

Right now it's not in either Sony or Microsoft interest to jumpstart the next gen. And it's not like customers or developers are asking for it too.

So who would it benefit ???

Please reread the highlighted portions.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Squilliam said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

I don't see that happening in the remaining 2.5 years this console generation is likely to last.

You don't ascribe to the extended console generation dogma? Are you talking about a completely new cycle or just the Wii?

I don't think the current consoles are simply going to disappear in 2.5 years but we've seen evidence that being the first to release new console in a generation yields favorable results in terms of developer support. 

Were I in Microsoft's place, I would wish to get that same lead next generation as I did in this one.  Were I in Sony's place, I would do everything I could to stop Microsoft from getting developers onboard and experienced with its system's API before mine.  Were I in Nintendo's place, I would be watching the competition very closely.

There are unfortunately too many unknown variables but I guess the motivations and the incentives are easier to decipher. Theres nothing preventing any console company from selling two generations of consoles at once so even the idea that Natal or the Mii2 copymote from Sony would prevent them from releasing a new generation soon after would be false. The real question in my mind is how much more compelling a new generation of consoles would be to the current userbase at the time in the 3.5 to 4 year timespan where the major adoption would take place for a new generation released 2.5 years from now.

In the Xbox 360 case, a next generation console could cost $250 or $300 because the Xbox 360 in this case would likely cost around $100 by that time for minimum entry with some sort of flashed based storage which is larger than 10GB.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Squilliam said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

There are unfortunately too many unknown variables but I guess the motivations and the incentives are easier to decipher. Theres nothing preventing any console company from selling two generations of consoles at once so even the idea that Natal or the Mii2 copymote from Sony would prevent them from releasing a new generation soon after would be false. The real question in my mind is how much more compelling a new generation of consoles would be to the current userbase at the time in the 3.5 to 4 year timespan where the major adoption would take place for a new generation released 2.5 years from now.

In the Xbox 360 case, a next generation console could cost $250 or $300 because the Xbox 360 in this case would likely cost around $100 by that time for minimum entry with some sort of flashed based storage which is larger than 10GB.

I've long campaigned against the idea of the extended generation, for similar reasons. Sony and Microsoft should know that their motion solutions are not going to give them the necessary momentum against Nintendo, unless they essentially re-launch the console with the device made integral. Microsoft has already alluded to this, and i think they'll take that opportunity to make it new hardware, but hardware that is still backwards compatible and mostly interoperable with the existing 360. Sony will have to follow a similar path, especially if the Natal 360 starts paying off for Microsoft. Thus the generation will end up being of normal length, even though the launch of the next Xbox and PlayStation will not be a huge technical leap from the previous norm.

Nintendo, of course, is moving independently, and their incentive to move will come internally. When their devs feel they have exhausted the mine of possibilities with Wii, they'll push for new hardware, and i simply don't think that Nintendo will be able to come up with enough ideas to get the Wii to last beyond 2011

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:

I've long campaigned against the idea of the extended generation, for similar reasons. Sony and Microsoft should know that their motion solutions are not going to give them the necessary momentum against Nintendo, unless they essentially re-launch the console with the device made integral. Microsoft has already alluded to this, and i think they'll take that opportunity to make it new hardware, but hardware that is still backwards compatible and mostly interoperable with the existing 360. Sony will have to follow a similar path, especially if the Natal 360 starts paying off for Microsoft. Thus the generation will end up being of normal length, even though the launch of the next Xbox and PlayStation will not be a huge technical leap from the previous norm.

Nintendo, of course, is moving independently, and their incentive to move will come internally. When their devs feel they have exhausted the mine of possibilities with Wii, they'll push for new hardware, and i simply don't think that Nintendo will be able to come up with enough ideas to get the Wii to last beyond 2011

See, now you're talking specifics and that makes it harder. I do know that unless they can come up with a new experience right out of the box for a next generation console they may very well delay the release until they do. Like WoW said theres a benefit to releasing earlier than the competition but to do so you have to have a compelling product. Since I don't know precisely what that is, though I suspect that 3d might play a big part in it I cannot really comment much on it.

One thing I do know is that releasing slightly updated hardware may very well be too troublesome unless theres a specific reason for it. Say running gaming at 60FPS instead of 30 or something similar to that.

Tease.

If Epic made a conversion engine to make putting HD games on the Wii easier and cheaper (thus reducing developers' risk with an unestablished audience that is still their fault for not growing anyway), they'd rake in the dough just as much as with the U3E.

Not claiming such a thing can even be done, just that would mean they would still have a market on the Wii and less reason to fear it.

And either he's an idiot (which his company is doing too well for him to be), or he's lying to try to put down the Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

So either hes an idiot or hes lying. In argument terms I would call that a false dilemma.

Tease.

Lots of damage control here... don't know if I should add anything.

I take it I get no Gears of Zelda or Gears of Wario with extra brown graphics all over my little wii.

Squilliam said:
So either hes an idiot or hes lying. In argument terms I would call that a false dilemma.

He's stating things that are proven untrue or are just flying in the face of industry reality. And these are not just minor claims, but major ones. If they were minor, I would allow room for other things, but for things this extreme, you really would have to be dumb or lying, and I doubt it's the former.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

TheThunder said:

not surprised coming from Epic they are to Wii fanboys what Valve is to PS3 fanboys. It's truly a s sight to be seen how both groups try to downplay both those developers games and call them irrelevant when they know they are not.

Carry on.

Hm, I like the comparison here. It seems to me like Mark Rein is more aggressive though (recently, not compareed to PS3 07' comments). Valve seems to upset the PS3 fans just by ignoring the console.

Either way, I don't see why anyone would take these comments seriously - even if Mark Rein should shut his mouth, we know he doesn't have much reason to support the console. I'll be buying Gears 3 either way...