By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony blew it with 40 gb sku (IMO). Sales predictions.

I said it once, i'll say it again(and if i didn't say it before, well now's the time to listen) Sony just loves to shoot themselves in the foot, the hand, hell if this sku charade continues, they'll shoot themselves in the head before we notice it. I have a really hard time imagining the consequences of Sony's actions.

From where i stand, it looks like this: The 40gb was not announced for the US, nor Japan (correct me if i'm wrong please), only for Europe. Thus this new sku introduction won't have any major influence on the first two regions. Unfortunately for Sony, there is a slight chance that sales will actually go down a bit as people will wait for the new SKU to reach their continents.  In Europe...i don't know what'll happen. BC is important here. Period. Bundle packs might do the trick IF they'll seem reasonable and if more AA, AAA titles come out. HD is a long ways off so i doubt that people will start buying "cheap blue ray players a.k.a. PS3. 400 euros for a gaming device is a lot....ARRRGHHH I JUST DON'T KNOW ANYMORE!!!! (Puff..Puff, wheeze...ahhh my poor heart..)

What say ye, fellow gaming addicts? What're your thoughts on sales with this one? 

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Around the Network

2.000 units.

i don't know how the 40 gig will do, but there was a price drop for the 60 gig and i expect that to increase sales.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

@Soriku

2k? WTF? So you expect it to stay around 25k? Even with a much cheaper ps3 announce? When your wrong ama laugh at you.

mM
johnsobas said:
i don't know how the 40 gig will do, but there was a price drop for the 60 gig and i expect that to increase sales.

I agree I think the 60 gig will do very well and its only 50 euros more than the 40 gig. The 40 gig will sell because its cheaper, but it won't push that much. The 60 gig is way better than the 40 gig. People will get the 40 gig if they don't care about BC and people will buy the 60 gig if they do care about BC. 

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." - Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto

PSN joshmyersBV Global rank in Warhawk: 1734 Rank: Wing Leader Over 200 Mine kills
Around the Network

What does slightly mean?

0.2k more units? Because slightly usually means about 20% of 3k.

mM

If just comparing Europe, I would say that the numbers in Europe will double.

The rest of the world, will stick to fairly close to what they are currently.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Remeber that Sony has said that it plans to discontinue the 60 gb sku in Europe leaving the 40 gb version as the only option. That sound pretty awful to me to tell the truth.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

up 50% in all others regions.

The bundle with PES 2008 and the holiday season is what I attirbute this too.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Truly I think they will release the 80GB once the 60GB sells out... like in the US.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453