By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony blew it with 40 gb sku (IMO). Sales predictions.

Wojtas said:
Remeber that Sony has said that it plans to discontinue the 60 gb sku in Europe leaving the 40 gb version as the only option. That sound pretty awful to me to tell the truth.

I hope they will just replace the 60 GB version with the 80GB version and keep it at the same £350 price. if they don't then they are just plain stupid.

Around the Network

I'm at a wait and see standpoint right now on all of this.

I stand by my belief that this is a bad move financially but it may help sales quite a bit. Most people probably aren't all that informed about the BC issues and the like so I don't think it will scare away tons of people or anything.

But if the $400 PS3 comes to the US this year I will be happy to be wrong from a consumer standpoint as it means next year if I decide to get a PS3 I will be spending less money. Honestly right now I don't know if I want this 40GB model though, the 40GB HD has nothing to do with it as it would likely get one of my extra laptop drives. The issue is with the backwards compatibility, I am an informed consumer and it does matter to me. I would greatly prefer to only have one console hooked and supposedly the games look a lot better too (no surprise). The SKU has other issues as well but thats the major one for me, I just can't see adding more crap to my TV area when its already crammed as it is. And considering I still use my PS2 on occasion just removing it isn't much of an option.

All in all, I think this is a risky move no matter how you look at it. There is risk that the lacking BC could become a rally point for complaints, risk they could lose lots of money, risk they could come off as desperate, and in general I don't see an outcome to this that doesn't generate some sort of actual negative impact on the PS3 and Sony as brand. Once again I must say I would be happy to be wrong, but I just don't see it.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Im with NJ 5

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Well economic history says this should do badly like the 20gb before it did so who knows. Depends.

I'd say double the sales on the first week. But ultimately the average will only pickup to maybe an extra 10k. Possibly up to 15k.

Yeah, I would guess NA at least will be receiving the 40gb in a few weeks seeing how low weekly sales are for the 60/80gb models. The 60gb will eventually disappear and the 80gb will see a price drop (although all of these moves might not occur simultaneously). If the 40gb flops in Europe, I bet we'll see the 80gb with BC enter as a 2nd SKU. Nothing is ever set in stone, especially PS3 configurations, so if BC proves important to consumers and said consumers prove it by not buying the 40gb, BC will be back.

I think the 40gb will be a success, albeit not a huge one. When this comes out in NA in November like the rumors say, I think we'll see around 50,000 sales per week for the month until Black Friday, when sales will hit 100,000. This will still mean the PS3 will lag behind the Wii and 360 which will hover 'round 100,000 and 80,000 per week respectively. I think this is solid move by Sony because I know a couple people interested in the PS3 that don't give a crap about BC because they were planning on keeping their slim PS2s around anyway. 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network

I am SHOCKED at some of the predictions

the people who said 2K in my opinion haven't studied maths at all.

It will DOUBLE - hence going to 55K - 65K

USA n JAP whenever their announcements come I will predict

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Was there anything mentioned about Dual-Shock in this SKU? That would really add insult to injury if they left that out as well.

LOL

ale kurwa matol.

LMFAO

szmata!!

wii fanboys are scared of the cut, go vg show you bias.

Why is it always the Sony fanboys with the personality disorders?