By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another Sony lie.

Who cares if the PS3 plays old games or not, if you want to play PS1/PS2 games you have the PS2.

Around the Network

Hey, people wanted a cheap PS3. Gotta take some stuff out to make it cheaper. If you want backwards compatibility, you're going to have to pay for it.

GranTurismo said:
Who cares if the PS3 plays old games or not, if you want to play PS1/PS2 games you have the PS2.

Well all those people who have been buying PS2's recently will care. There is no need to upgrade any time soon for them. You forgot there are still new games made for the PS2!?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Yeah, but seeing as they have a PS2, they can still play them. Besides, why would you upgrade to PS3 with the sole intention of playing PS2 games on it? I mean, it's nice, but I have a PS2, it works fine, and if my PS3 didn't have BC I'd just be playing PS2 games on my PS2.

Apostrovich said:
Yeah, but seeing as they have a PS2, they can still play them. Besides, why would you upgrade to PS3 with the sole intention of playing PS2 games on it? I mean, it's nice, but I have a PS2, it works fine, and if my PS3 didn't have BC I'd just be playing PS2 games on my PS2.

1. Wireless Controlers

2. So I don't have an extra console in my home theater room

3. I can sell the PS2 back to ebggames

4. What if someone didn't have a PS2?

5. Running out of TV inputs :-p (bigger problem on older TVs, including HDTV's)

Just a few reason's why someone would want backwards compatability, on the PS3.

Around the Network
GranTurismo said:

it is true that the vast majority of people who would want to play PS2 games on the PS3 would own (or possibly used to own) a PS2, but most people (me included) don't like to have a number of systems around their television, i would have loved backward compatibility for the N64 on the GC, that wasn't really a feasable option with carts and discs but if it had been possible i wouldn't have had to keep swapping consoles whenever i felt like an old game.

That is of particular importance when talking about the PS3 because it is huge, and in my old room (i swapped with my sister recently) wouldn't have fit by the TV on it's own, never mind with a PS2 as well (especially the old PS2)..... In fact in the living room downstairs the only consoles that would fit by the TV without having to go on the floor is the PS2slim and the Wii, as we have just two shelves that are part of the TV stand and they are taken up by the NTL digital box and a DVD/VHS player (there is just enough room for the Wii (without the round standplate) to go vertically by the side)

What makes me laugh is that when the PS3 was first released fanboys were always quick to point out that the 360 had less than perfect BC. Now that the PS3 is being transitioned into no BC, it's not a big deal anymore? The double-standards are hilarious.

well unless sony announces yet another SKU, the 60 gig is being phased out in europe and the 40 gig will be all that remains. It's one thing to give people the choice, but it's another thing to completely take it away with no option.

Since when do systems actually lose features as the lifespan goes on?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Seriously GranTurismo, there is no possible way to spin this into a good thing.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

removing backwards compatibility from the 40 GB is almost as bad as MS not including a harddrive on the core..... I mean how are the ps2 owners gonna upgrade if they cant even play their own DAM games?!?! Stupid Move Sony Stupid move... the ps3 library isnt big enough for them to do something stupid like this.... with that being said though.. its not as bad as it sounds.. Why you say?? because it is the ps3.. so theoretically you should be playing PS3 games... and this is sony's way of saying we're not supporting the ps2 anymore... isnt that what most of you wanted anyway?? i know i kept hearing people say " sony needs to stop supporting the ps2..... But to sum it all up That sucks but the right games will make people get over it..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament