By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another Sony lie.

TheBigFatJ said:

He was only kidding about all of that. It was a joke intended to attack Microsoft for having less-than-perfect backward compatibility.

This picture captures the moment perfectly.  (Concept stolen from somewhere else.)

Around the Network

Do you not know ?

Backward compatibility is so last gen / sarcasm 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Dallinor said:
azzer100 said:
Before the 40GB PS3.

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.

Why sony? why? why must you be so silly?

They have offered it, in the 60GB version.

Why? oh why? do you have to make a thread about this?

Yeah a core value . What is the PS3 core SKU ?

Maybe the 40 GB SKU ( at least in Europe ) .... 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

ssj12 said:
TheBigFatJ said:

No. Sony was obviously planning it back then and Microsoft discovered it. Sony lied and denied it.

Did you really read Phil Harrison's sentence? "Core value". "necessary". "Playstation is a format".

He was only kidding about all of that. It was a joke intended to attack Microsoft for having less-than-perfect backward compatibility.

Now you just proved you are an idiot. Do you really think any company would say "We are releasing a cheaper model in November so if you want a cheaper model dont buy our product till then" ??? I think not.

Of course not.  But they don't have to lie about it.  They can just say, "we have nothing to announce" and the vast majority of people won't know about it anyway.  If the come out and lie about it like scumbags, then the people who say, "ah, I'm safe to buy a 60GB for MGS4 since there won't be any price drops or 40GB model since Sony told me that," will feel like they've been lied to.

You know, because they were lied to.  It's okay, Sony has been caught in blatent lies before.

We ran the story a bit earlier this morning that the UK is getting a 40GB PS3 model at a fancy new €399 price point. The new model won't support PS2 backwards compatibility and will have two less USB ports and no multi-card memory reader.

What wasn't clear from the release was what exactly was going on with the 60GB model, which is being reduced in price to €499. Turns out it is indeed going the way of the US version of the 60GB model.

From Nick Sharples, Sony's Director of Corporate Communications in Europe:

The 60GB Starter pack will remain on sale until stocks run out (a number of months, depending on territory.) Thereafter, the 40GB model will be the only SKU in the SCEE region.

I feel like we need to have a wake or something. Meanwhile the SCEA folks remind us that no announcements have been made for North America about potential price drops, SKU shuffling or new models.

1:50 PM ON FRI OCT 5 2007
BY BRIAN CRECENTE

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/scee-ps3-60gb-nixed-for-uk-too-307651.php

Still justified?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

Another stupid thread by wii fanboys that hate sony on the stupid fanboy forum.

nintendo shill site this is.

Yojimbo said:
So people cant live with that 1 of 4 sku's dont have BC?

Actually, of the SKUs available in Europe 1 out of 1 won't have BC. So that's all of them. It's unclear if this will eventually be the case in the US.

Thereafter, the 40GB model will be the only SKU in the SCEE region. 

Anyone want to make any bets as to whether Sony is lying about this?  The obvious choice seems to be 'yes, they're lying'. 

12345 said:
Another stupid thread by wii fanboys that hate sony on the stupid fanboy forum.

nintendo shill site this is.

Oh ok, if you say so. :p

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

ssj12 said:
azzer100 said:
Before the 40GB PS3.

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.

they are holding true to that but offering a console without it too. 

That makes no sense. 

Either backwards compatibility is no longer a core value, or the 40GB PS3 is not a part of the PlayStation format that transcends many devices.

(If this is true about the new PS3 not having backwards compatibility) 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Sony's trying to get FTW, but instead, they are cutting their own throat.

Think about this - there are what like 120 million folks that have bought PS2s. There are still close to 80k sold each week - and just as standard Sony playbook protocol calls for - orphan products.

It never fails - when Sony smells blood in the water, what do they do? Take the product off life support and let that puppy die. I got burned with their PS2 HDD ... and others got burned by the PS2 Linux Kit - the UMD - betamax - minidiscs - their MP3 player line and the list goes on ... so now, we can add BC to that list.

It makes no sense for Sony, who apparently believes the fresh crap analysts are shoveling, to do this to gamers. They are currently holding down last place like a champ. And yet they believe 2007 will be the year of the PS3? Now, they are saying 2008 - even 2009. Nice ...

All I have to say about this foolishness is - you need a new team of advisers, with gaming backgrounds - and can comprehend what gamers want. Changing the rules midgame doesn't cut it.