By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another Sony lie.

Before the 40GB PS3.

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.

Why sony? why? why must you be so silly?

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network

Just check out the 40GB announcement thread and there you have a whooooole list of discussion going on about the BC removal ;)

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

azzer100 said:
Before the 40GB PS3.

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.

they are holding true to that but offering a console without it too. The 60 in Eurasia and the 40. 60 has B, the 40 doesn't. The 60 is getting a price cut so you get 2 games and the console for less. In the US you get the 80GB for 499 (soon) w/  motorstorm and the 40GB for $399 with Spiderman 3. They didnt change their game plan they just saw that there is a slowly declining amount of people who care about their old games. Really I do play my PS2 games sometimes but I much rather use my PS2 then PS3 even though most PS2 games look better on the PS3. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

So people cant live with that 1 of 4 sku's dont have BC? Times have changed people have complained about the price the whole year. So Sony did not lie they listened to their fans and lowered the price on starter pack and made 40GB for the people who dont care about BC. I cant tell you that Sony is not happy with this situation either they are still losing money.

And at the end of September Sony said that the 40GB PS3 was "just rumor and speculation". While this isn't a flat out denial, it's technically a denial because they're saying it is only rumor and speculation, and therefore not real.

Microsoft called the 40GB PS3 back in July:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/25/ngai-croal-vs-ms-attack-dog-in-ps3-bet/

Sony denied it back then. They also just recently said there will be no PS3 price drops this year. So they're obviously playing with words with the intent to mislead consumers. Most people would consider this a lie. Consider that it's like telling your spouse you didn't cheat on her with a girl when you actually cheated on her with two. You didn't lie, right? Wrong.

They've been doing this a lot.  They said the 20GB model was discontinued because no one wanted the lower end model at a lower price point, and now they re-releasing an even lower end model with the same price descrepancy.  They also said there'd be no 80GB model, no price drop for the 60GB model (oh, wait, it wasn't a price drop it was a clearance sale at a lower price, right?), and a slew of other things.

Sony loves lying to their customers. If they didn't, they wouldn't do it so often.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
And at the end of September Sony said that the 40GB PS3 was "just rumor and speculation". While this isn't a flat out denial, it's technically a denial because they're saying it is only rumor and speculation, and therefore not real.

Sony denied it back then. They also just recently said there will be no PS3 price drops this year. So they're obviously playing with words with the intent to mislead consumers. Most people would consider this a lie. Consider that it's like telling your spouse you didn't cheat on her with a girl when you actually cheated on her with two. You didn't lie, right? Wrong.

Sony loves lying to their customers. If they didn't, they wouldn't do it so often.

so Sony stole the idea of a cheaper version using Microsoft's own attack. Oh well. Microsoft shouldnt have openned their mouth. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

azzer100 said:
Before the 40GB PS3.

They have offered it, in the 60GB version.

Why? oh why? do you have to make a thread about this?

ssj12 said:
azzer100 said:
Before the 40GB PS3.

they are holding true to that but offering a console without it too. The 60 in Eurasia and the 40. 60 has B, the 40 doesn't. The 60 is getting a price cut so you get 2 games and the console for less. In the US you get the 80GB for 499 (soon) w/ motorstorm and the 40GB for $399 with Spiderman 3. They didnt change their game plan they just saw that there is a slowly declining amount of people who care about their old games. Really I do play my PS2 games sometimes but I much rather use my PS2 then PS3 even though most PS2 games look better on the PS3.

Did you really read Phil Harrison's sentence? "Core value". "necessary". "Playstation is a format".

They are decreasing the value of the Playstation brand with this measure. No matter whether you care about BC or not, the Playstation brand is now weaker.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ssj12 said:
TheBigFatJ said:

so Sony stole the idea of a cheaper version using Microsoft's own attack. Oh well. Microsoft shouldnt have openned their mouth.

No. Sony was obviously planning it back then and Microsoft discovered it. Sony lied and denied it.

Did you really read Phil Harrison's sentence? "Core value". "necessary". "Playstation is a format".

He was only kidding about all of that.  It was a joke intended to attack Microsoft for having less-than-perfect backward compatibility. 

TheBigFatJ said:
ssj12 said:
TheBigFatJ said:

No. Sony was obviously planning it back then and Microsoft discovered it. Sony lied and denied it.

He was only kidding about all of that. It was a joke intended to attack Microsoft for having less-than-perfect backward compatibility.

Now you just proved you are an idiot. Do you really think any company would say "We are releasing a cheaper model in November so if you want a cheaper model dont buy our product till then" ??? I think not.