By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Screenwriter: Halo is "Our Generation's Star Wars"

HappySqurriel said:
ssj12 said:
otoniel said:

yes but those prequels r pure garbage 

and im pretty sure he was talking about the original star wars not prequels 

no they werent, the issue is they didnt match the first 3. The problem is CGI effects vs old tech. If the old movies were remade using the new CGI effects everything would be fit perfectly well.

Personally, I think the CGI effects from the prequels look more dated and bad than the classic effects from the (non-special edition) original trillogy; and I believe that one of the primary reasons why most actors seem so wooden in big-budget blockbusters is because the over-use of CGI effects gives them nothing to focus on and interact with.

With that said, the special effects are not the only things that don't match up between the two series ...

The original movies have an underlying mysteriousness about all of the characters which allows plot twists like Darth Vader being Luke’s father, and Luke and Leia being twins to be a surprise.

Several of the exchanges between characters no longer make any sense, consider the following exchange between Luke and Leia

Princess Leia Organa: Luke, what's wrong?
Luke Skywalker:
Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
Princess Leia Organa:
Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
Luke Skywalker: What do you remember?
Princess Leia Organa: Just images, really. Feelings.
Luke Skywalker: Tell me.
Princess Leia Organa:
She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me all this?
Luke Skywalker:
I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

There is talk in episode 1 about how there will only ever be a master and an aprentice within the sith, yet in episode 5 and 6 the emperor and Darth Vader seem to be looking to recruit Luke Skywalker with no indication that the Emperor or Darth Vader has to be replaced. At the same time, the nature of how someone is turned to the dark side of the force seems to be very different between the prequels and the original movies; in the prequels Anakin is slowly seduced to the darkside and makes (moronic) comments like "From my perspective the Jedi are evil" while in episode 6 Luke Skywalker is forceably put into the position where he embraces the dark side to kill Darth Vader or The Emperor, or he dies.

If it was only a couple of things that could be excused, but in every one of the prequels you could list dozens of differences in the style and substance of the characters and the universe as a whole which do not match up well. About the only thing done well in all of the prequels which does match up adequately with the original movies is Ewen Mcgregor's portrail of Obi Wan Kenobi

Time for me to reveal how nerdy I really am:

If you recall Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vadar and the Emperor are talking about turning Luke to the dark side and the Emperor referred to Luke as a potentially 'powerful ally"-- they were not talking about Luke becoming a Sith, but joining the Dark side.  Recall in episode 2 the jedi thought that Count Dooku was not a Sith, but just a jedi who turned to the Dark Side-- so it is possible to become darkside and not be a Sith.  Also, both Darth Vadar and the Emperor asked Luke to join the dark side so that they could kill the other (Darth Vadar in Episode 5 to "rule the galaxy as father and son", the Emperor in Episode 6-- kill him and "take your place at my side").  The interesting things about what was said is that anytime talk of Luke actually joining either the Emperor or Darth Vadar included talk of killing the other Sith.

I assumed the conversation between Luke and Leia was about Senator Organia's wife.  Up to this point we have no indication that Leia is aware that she is adopted, and the truth could have been kept from here so that it would be harder for Darth Vadar or the Emperor to figure out her true identity.   Thus, Leia would have truelly thought that her 'real mother' was in fact Senator Organia's wife.  (However, I concede that this point is the farthest stretch, but there is evidence from the movies to back this up).

If you rewatch Return of the Jedi, Luke wears black.  Interesting choice of clothes-- the symbolism was to show that Luke was on the path to the dark side and that it was not a sudden transformation at the end.  Plus, Luke was being fuelled by hatred-- the empire had killed his family, taken his hand, as well as threatened his sister.  The Empire Strikes Back even shows that Luke is becoming evil (or at least tempted by the dark side) by having that scene where Luke is training with Yoda and he enters the woods that contains 'only what you take with you' and Luke encounters himself dressed as Darth Vadar.

Around the Network

his generation's star wars?

how old is he?
jk
but i think Star Trek is this generation's star wars IMO

libellule said:
pure asshole comments

I mean... outside some Xbox fans (whatever they are 10-15M), mainly concentrated in NA
NOBODY knows Halo ...

To say the truth, Transformers has more appeal than Halo
considering how shitty is Transformers, all is said !

Absolutly not true.  Everybody, and i mean EVERY single person i know knows about Halo in some way shape or form...

yo_john117 said:
libellule said:
pure asshole comments

I mean... outside some Xbox fans (whatever they are 10-15M), mainly concentrated in NA
NOBODY knows Halo ...

Absolutly not true.  Everybody, and i mean EVERY single person i know knows about Halo in some way shape or form...

The world is not big in your eyes, ey mate?

Citan said:
yo_john117 said:
libellule said:
pure asshole comments

NOBODY knows Halo ...

Ah your from Norway...that explains it.  Its an American thing.  Basically everybody in America has at least heard of Halo.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
Citan said:
yo_john117 said:
libellule said:
pure asshole comments

NOBODY knows Halo ...

Ah your from Norway...that explains it.  Its an American thing.  Basically everybody in America has at least heard of Halo.

Well I could say the same thing about you mate. Everybody? Is america the world? Do you count Canada, middle-america and south-america a part of america, or only the us?

Is there anyone out there who actually enjoyed those awful prequel movies? And if so, can they explain to me how they were able to sit through them, let alone enjoy them?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

yo_john117 said:
Citan said:
yo_john117 said:
libellule said:
pure asshole comments

NOBODY knows Halo ...

yeah and since when has america been the world,halo may be big but it isnt that big

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Citan said:
yo_john117 said:
Citan said:
yo_john117 said:
libellule said:
pure asshole comments

NOBODY knows Halo ...

Well I could say the same thing about you mate. Everybody? Is america the world? Do you count Canada, middle-america and south-america a part of america, or only the us?

US citizens rarely include anything south of the US, or even Canada when they say "America". This is also something we Europeans do most times. But it is rather like saying Europe and only meaning Scandinavia.

Dessuten er de jo glade i å late som om USA er hele verden disse Amerikanerne...

NKAJ said:
yo_john117 said:
Citan said:
yo_john117 said:
libellule said:
pure asshole comments

NOBODY knows Halo ...

yeah and since when has america been the world,halo may be big but it isnt that big

Where did i say America was the whole world?  And yes Halo is that big...