By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Conduit June sales (NPD - 2 weeks) - 71,913

I dont think the Conduit sales were that bad. But it's all about expectations. From all the forums I had been reading, people were expecting it to sell extremely little. Maybe this forum was different, but those were my expectations. So it didn't do too bad versus my expectations.

Look at a game like Crysis, sold 30k or something like that in it's first NPD. Yet in the end Crytek said it sold 1.5 million copies, and apparantely crytek is well off financially (Crysis is their main game) as they've been buying other studios. I mean you have to include Europe and all that. First month sales of 70k might mean Conduit might sell a quarter million in USA, and I'd guess 1 m? WW? I could be wrong.

In no way am I calling it a smash, but again, I was expecting sales of 20k or something. So I think these sales are average.

But on a larger scale, heres why FPS and hardcore games wont sell on Wii..pay close attention here: EVERYBODY WHO LIKES COMPLEX GRAPHICALLY RICH FPS, WILL ALMOST BY DEFINITION OWN A PS3 OR 360. PERIOD. THERE IS THEREFORE ALMOST NO MARKET FOR FPS ON WII, AND THERE LIKELY NEVER WILL BE!

I mean ask yourself, if you're the young male demo, and you like FPS, WHY ON EARTH would you own a WII and not a 360/PS3? Answer: You wouldn't. Why would you be waiting for the crumbs of Conduit, when you could play far more graphically impressive and adult games like Halo 3, COD4, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Gears of War 2, Battlefield 1943, and too many more great FPS to count on 360 or PS3?

Sure there are a few people who are "hardcore" males who might by chance or choice or not having a choice (say they have no income, and their parents bought them a Wii) ONLY own a Wii, but they will always be very small minority.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
LordMatrix said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
alfredofroylan said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

MadWorld did about 60k in its first month I believe.

This, along with the terrible performance in Others... The Conduit has to be one of the biggest critical and commercial flops this gen.

Bionic Commando took that crown last month.

I said one of :P

The Conduit actually had hype and advertising, though. It was really important that this game be successful.

Bionic Commando was hardly hyped at all while The Conduit has been hyped to hell since it was shown. On a side note Bionic Commando actually had a nice story while Conduit nearly put me to sleep. I would have to say just based on hype alone that Conduit is the true flop. It seems to have both poor sales and average reviews. Bionic Commando at least had higher reviews overall. The Wii likely did not help The Conduit's sales either considering the mainstream opinion overall on FPS on the system is... poor controls. Its something the system is going to have to try to overcome over time.

holy shit if this is true. What warped individuals, manipulated by twisted corporate puppet masters, would actually believe fps works WORSE on the wii? Unbelievable

My opinion, graphic whores is the reason. GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS, etc.

You know shockingly his redded statements is true, there are people as well that believe that the Wii has the best multimedia functions, and by far the best graphics. Ive seen it countless of times.. this is why I believe advertising is a very important aspect of this industry.

mM
sharky974 said:

I dont think the Conduit sales were that bad. But it's all about expectations. From all the forums I had been reading, people were expecting it to sell extremely little. Maybe this forum was different, but those were my expectations. So it didn't do too bad versus my expectations.

Look at a game like Crysis, sold 30k or something like that in it's first NPD. Yet in the end Crytek said it sold 1.5 million copies, and apparantely crytek is well off financially (Crysis is their main game) as they've been buying other studios. I mean you have to include Europe and all that. First month sales of 70k might mean Conduit might sell a quarter million in USA, and I'd guess 1 m? WW? I could be wrong.

In no way am I calling it a smash, but again, I was expecting sales of 20k or something. So I think these sales are average.

But on a larger scale, heres why FPS and hardcore games wont sell on Wii..pay close attention here: EVERYBODY WHO LIKES COMPLEX GRAPHICALLY RICH FPS, WILL ALMOST BY DEFINITION OWN A PS3 OR 360. PERIOD. THERE IS THEREFORE ALMOST NO MARKET FOR FPS ON WII, AND THERE LIKELY NEVER WILL BE!

I mean ask yourself, if you're the young male demo, and you like FPS, WHY ON EARTH would you own a WII and not a 360/PS3? Answer: You wouldn't. Why would you be waiting for the crumbs of Conduit, when you could play far more graphically impressive and adult games like Halo 3, COD4, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Gears of War 2, Battlefield 1943, and too many more great FPS to count on 360 or PS3?

Sure there are a few people who are "hardcore" males who might by chance or choice or not having a choice (say they have no income, and their parents bought them a Wii) ONLY own a Wii, but they will always be very small minority.

While I agree that all of the games you mention are more impressive.  The Conduit beats all of them in fluidity of controls.  Also, I think that HVS was going for the lapsed gamer demographic by trying to make The Conduit feel like a long lost cousin of GoldenEye/Perfect Dark.  I certainly know people who have't touched an FPS since those days...

The real problem is they should have added split screen if they wanted to hit that demographic...

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

wow..I thought it was over excitement on quite a few people view that if the sales are not that great upfront that people are viewing it as a flop ..already...D@mn, I think many people are way overreacting about the sales. The Fact that the Game is new should be taken that it may take some time to gather much higher sales. Like 6 months to a year. like published book's if you happen to sell a million pluse on a Wii game it's all good. I think many people are making a mountain out of a mole hill...just sayin

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I just find it odd that when 150k sales were announced, many people said " I expected just that!"
or "Hmmm i thoght 130k, even better than expected!"
And now its 72k and tons of people are saying "Of course I saw this coming". Just saying.
Despite all this, I expect tc to have good legs. Hardly has lots of competition.

Around the Network

Am I crazy, or isn't NPD estimating US sales only, while VGChartz is showing sales for 'Americas' which includes the American CONTINENTS, not just the US. I'm not saying that VGChartz didn't overtrack some, but we're not comparing apples to apples here on numbers. Seriously, did nobody even think about this?

Also, Conduit released on a Tuesday, so there's only 12 days worth of sales for that 'two week' period. This is an average of 6000/day, or 84000 in US only in the first 14 days (a real two weeks). Add in numbers from Canada, etc, and you could be at 110,000-115,000 for Americas for the first two weeks. Add in a decent 'Others' launch (I believe the 18k listed was sold in two days only), and its really not that bad a launch for a new IP, especially on a system where games like this historically sell slowly at the beginning and have very good legs over the long run.

I'm not saying the Conduit was a roaring success, but it can't be considered a flop yet either because of the way Wii game sales trend historically. If Sega and HVS make a good profit on this in the end, that means more quality titles for hardcore players. Let's not all jump the gun here.

That's very normal Timmah. And I don't see your logic in your math.

Conduit probablly opened with AT BEST 80k in NA for first 2 weeks. 5 days is a normal first week. That's an average of 6.6k a day... but that number doesn't mean crap in this situation since first day probablly makes up for 60% of those numbers. That would mean more like 3k average daily.

@Soriku

The source sated 136K for the conduit in the U.S alone during the same time period for the NPD report

mM

I figured out the reason commercials didnt help the game - due to the recession, people have canceled their cable service, and now have no tv plan, switching to a cheaper alternative of Netflix accounts for movies.

This news is joking, but realistically, can be true. I did almost exactly this, cancelld $120 cable package for a $20 DSL connection, and just watch streamed movies online for free. Saving $100 = good thing.