By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
okr said:
@CaptainPreferences: It's harder for Canada's men's team because the competition is much stronger in men's football. We especially see it in Europe where "small" (and young) countries like e.g. Bosnia-Herzegovina or Slowakia are getting stronger and stronger every year, because their best players are playing in Europe's top leagues. There are only few really non-competitive small countries left in men's European football nowadays (mainly countries with only few pros in their national teams like - say - Liechtenstein). I assume the same applies to other continents.

Women's football on the other hand is still a very young sport in comparison to men's football and that's why the countries who promoted women's football first (and more important: take it seriously) are still dominatiing today. Outside of USA and GER it was especially the Scandinavian football federations of Norway and Sweden who developed women's football early.

Yea the standard is higher. My two cousins played in Europe for their universities and play for College of Charleston and York University. Its a lot harder to get into club teams in Europe in North America, you have to start off with a school.

But still, the Canadian squad has some decent players at decent clubs. If only they started. But anyways I'm off to footy practice.

Around the Network

Brazil is way better than Portugal, they seem like they dont play ok, but yesterday we were dominating in th 2-2, I could see us winning, but in 4 minutes they make 2 goals out of nothing. And I tell you, the only team I really really fear in the WC is Brazil.

CaptainPrefrences said:
You seriously think Brazils performance dropped? Of course it did, but they are still the best team in the world. In 2002 they probably had the team of the decade with Ronaldo, Cafu, Ronaldinho Roberto Carlos and Rivaldo in their prime. Spain is an overrated team. Yes they won the European championships but the confed cup was a perfect example of their typical choking. Greece won Euro 2004 what did they do in the last 4 years or France after 2000? Can Spain send out a B or C team and beat teams like France or Russia? Brazil would smash france or Portugal. Remember when Brazil gave Portugal a 6-2 ass whipping last year? That waswhen they were playing "bad".

Also Italy being a strong contender is a joke. The squad tehy have is largely unchanged from 2006 and they players they brought in are average. They failed badly at Euro 2008 and Confed Cup. They need some fresh new blood. The strongest contenders are England, Germany, Brazil, Spain, and Holland.

Yeah pretty hard TBH.

Everyone feared Brazil back then, but now they're just one of many good teams.

Oh haha yea I see what you mean. Back then Brazil was invincible.

Thats kinda like USA

Thats kinda like USA. Everyone in CONCACAF would suck their cock and let them finish first every year and win the Gold Cup. Mexico, Honduras, Rica and El Salvador give them a run for their money now.

I won't be surprised if a concacaf team takes Argentina to a penalty shoot out if they make the playoff.

Around the Network

Can someone correct me if Im wrong? I used to think Mexico was the best one in the CONCACAF until USA started to get better. Some comments here make me doubtful.

pastro243 said:
Can someone correct me if Im wrong? I used to think Mexico was the best one in the CONCACAF until USA started to get better. Some comments here make me doubtful.

They have similar levels, for some years now both teams are almost invincible in their home, but in a neutral field USA has won. The reality is that in those games Mexico has more ball possession and dominates the game, but with one counterattack from USA and it's over for Mexico.

I think Mexico is a better team, but the way USA plays it's very complicated for Mexico. In other words, USA knows very well how to play against them. However, I think this is slowly changing, with Hugo Sanchez we tied 2-2 in USA and won Gold Cup 5-0 also in the US (granted, a B team against a C team but the defensive style was the same).

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Well, Mexico has always been el "Gigante de Concacaf"

A lot of people would say that the US is, but the US hasn't win anything yet. We at least have a Confederaciones.

The US is growing, no doubt about it. Since 1994 they started this plan (I don't remember the name) so they could be world champions in.... 2018 I believe. I don't think they will do it (but who knows) but still, the way they grew is incredible. 10 years ago US was nothing.... they just lost the final in confederaciones vs Brazil. They beat Spain. They're exporting players to Europe. And the MLS is growing every year.

The plan is giving them lots of rewards. I don't know who is the best one in CONCACAF. Mexico has never lost in the Azteca Stadium vs US. We just broke a 10-or so streak of not winning in the US. Right now Mexico and the US are about the same, but still... the #1 Rival to beat in CONCACAF is still Mexico. You can see it every single week in the eliminations.

CaptainPrefrences said:

Thats kinda like USA. Everyone in CONCACAF would suck their cock and let them finish first every year and win the Gold Cup. Mexico, Honduras, Rica and El Salvador give them a run for their money now.

I won't be surprised if a concacaf team takes Argentina to a penalty shoot out if they make the playoff.

Oh, I think this is the comment pastro243 is referring. I don't know why you're saying this, for many years Mexico has been "El Gigante de la Concacaf", the best team of Concacaf. Not only that, Mexico has 5 Gold Cups, one more than the USA. It's USA the one giving Mexico a run for their money now, not the other way around.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

if you right off brasil for the world cup you must be mad......they can beat anybody on a bad,bad,bad day......

we do not know the groups yet so some teams might be in very difficult groups what with two europeans,a south american and a pumped up african team in the group it could be very tough to get out of......but

it will most likely be the regular quarter finalists as in brasil,italy,germany,england,holland,argentina...with spain and whoever is on a good run.....

Above & Beyond