By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

How many of you would choose not to defend the ball with the hand in that situation?

"I'm going to make my team lose out of principle, even though I wouldn't need to physically hurt any player to give us a chance to win"

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Ghana had there chances,but they blew it. lol

SeriousWB said:
NJ5 said:
SeriousWB said:
NJ5 said:
SeriousWB said:

What a ridiculous handball, I feel very sorry to Ghana. Uruguay didn't deserve to win.

Ridiculous? More like brilliant.

Football also has a strategy, it's not just tactics...

Sorry, but I'll never condone cheating, nor will I sugar the pill by calling it strategy.

Why is it cheating? He didn't try to deceive anyone, he just willingly defended a goal the only way he could, fully knowing and accepting the consequences.

Which happened to be a handball.  He cheated, and he was punished.  Since you asked why I consider it cheating, do you think he shouldn't have been punished?!

To me, cheating implies trying to avoid the rules, such as hiding things from the referee, etc.

He broke a rule, that doesn't automatically mean cheating to me. Just as being offside or tackling a player is not automatically cheating.

NJ5 said:

How many of you would choose not to defend the ball with the hand in that situation?

"I'm going to make my team lose out of principle, even though I wouldn't need to physically hurt any player to give us a chance to win"

players deal in instant reactions,they play in the moment,

not in hindsight like the media

ZIDANE headbutted materazzi in the chest in a world cup final,one of my favourite moments,i'm glad he did that too

Above & Beyond

I'm with NJ5 on this one. Dirty maybe, but brilliant nevertheless. Soares did what he should have done so his team would still have a change of going on.

Kind of reminds me of Schumacher/Proist/Senna on F1 throwing their cars over those who menaced their titles at the end of the season. It's Machiavel's philosphy dudes, you need to do everything you can to come on top no matter what.

Around the Network

people in ghana will be talking about those few moments for years,

it's world cup history now,nothing anyone can do

unless someones got a time machine and some  invisible suits to go back and change it,anyone?

Above & Beyond

haxxiy said:

I'm with NJ5 on this one. Dirty maybe, but brilliant nevertheless. Soares did what he should have done so his team would still have a change of going on.

Kind of reminds me of Schumacher/Proist/Senna on F1 throwing their cars over those who menaced their titles. It's Machiavel's philosphy dudes, you need to do everything you can to come on top no matter what.

I would certainly not agree with endandering other people to win. That's too much and is worse than any kind of actual cheating. But the ball doesn't get hurt by being handed :P

NJ5 said:
SeriousWB said:
NJ5 said:
SeriousWB said:
NJ5 said:
SeriousWB said:

What a ridiculous handball, I feel very sorry to Ghana. Uruguay didn't deserve to win.

Ridiculous? More like brilliant.

Football also has a strategy, it's not just tactics...

Sorry, but I'll never condone cheating, nor will I sugar the pill by calling it strategy.

Why is it cheating? He didn't try to deceive anyone, he just willingly defended a goal the only way he could, fully knowing and accepting the consequences.

Which happened to be a handball.  He cheated, and he was punished.  Since you asked why I consider it cheating, do you think he shouldn't have been punished?!

To me, cheating implies trying to avoid the rules, such as hiding things from the referee, etc.

He broke a rule, that doesn't automatically mean cheating to me. Just as being offside or tackling a player is not automatically cheating.

this

also ghana got the ultimate chance to win the game with the penalty shot  and they blew it 

and then  mensah  with another ridiculous try 

Ha, my mom is pissed that Ghana lost because she bet on them. Pretty dick move though with the handball. I'll laugh if that's how the Dutch beat Uruguay. I hope to hear if there are any riots though, there haven't been many this world cup.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

Brilliant move with the Uruguayan player. Did he break the rule? sure he did. Did he get punished for it? Of course he did. Unlike many other teams on this WC, he got what he deserved for breaking the rule.

I would have done the same in his position. 121 minutes and in fractions of seconds having to decide whether with giving his team a fighting chance by sacrificing himself or do nothing and let his team lose, he chose the right thing. 

Ghana had all the opportunities in the world to win it, they couldn't handle the pressure and lost because of it. 

This will stir controversy, undoubtedly, but it will be pointless controversy. Things processed as they should have, punishments were handed and opportunities were missed. Ghana has only to blame themselves for the loss.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"