By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Lostplanet22 said:

You should ask the English =p.

lol...I would but I don't want to start a fist fight. :)

To Englands credit, they kind of returned the favor to Croatia for this world cup for what they did to them in 2008 Euro qualifying...

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
Slimebeast said:

For the medals it's obviously not more competitive, but what they mean is the group play.

Euro Cup has 16 teams and 8 go to quarter finals. World cup has 32 from which 16 go to second round.

So it's harder to qualify from the group play in Euro Cup than WC because the talent isn't as diluted as it is in the WC (which always has a bunch of weak teams like North Korea, Honduras, Algeria and New Zealand).

Ah well, fair enough then. Language barrier probably interfered a bit. I did watch it by the by, so I am familiar with the results. I am still pissed that Spain won. One lucky goal! Germany was the better team.

@Lestat
I am not claiming they are complete garbage or anything, or even performing poorly. They just aren't putting on the same show as Brazil or Germany did in the first game. I wouldn't die of shock if they won, but itisn't something I expect.

The thing is that every official sport and football media has said that Portugal's performance in the second half against North Korea was the best in this WC so far. I don't see how Brazil has been performing better. They struggled to win against North Korea and against Ivory Coast they did play good, but nothing major. Germany first game was good indeed, and is pretty much equal to what Portugal did. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

@gnizmo

well i know you're talking about the now,but i like to deal in history aswell,

of course these other teams like japan,korea,usa etc,(china too will be good one day probably), are getting much better which is good,plus the african teams

fifa have held world cups in usa,asia and afica now and it will continue every othe one i guess

about time we had one in south america so good its in brasil next

i'd say the way its set up now is spot on with all the qualifiers,i said earlier i think the usa will win a world cup before an african team but the trouble is one of the usual suspects will always have a strong team at any given time so it will be tough

Above & Beyond

@lesta

aren't portugal through really,may aswell rest ronaldo

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:

@gnizmo

well i know you're talking about the now,but i like to deal in history aswell,

of course these other teams like japan,korea,usa etc,(china too will be good one day probably), are getting much better which is good,plus the african teams

fifa have held world cups in usa,asia and afica now and it will continue every othe one i guess

about time we had one in south america so good its in brasil next

i'd say the way its set up now is spot on with all the qualifiers,i said earlier i think the usa will win a world cup before an african team but the trouble is one of the usual suspects will always have a strong team at any given time so it will be tough

I like Mexico's chances better than USA's right now. I definitely think if USA keeps on its current track it will become one of the top teams, but they are not consistent enough yet. 2002 they had a team that could have won it with a bit of luck. However the team hasn't gotten back to that level since, and fluctuates a lot. Mexico is far more consistent and also steadily increasing in skill. It is also why I kind of wish there was more inter-conference play between the Americas. USA and Mexico definitely could benefit from having more top teams in their normal tournaments.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
zuvuyeay said:

@lesta

Yes but they want to win the group so they'll avoid meeting Spain in the 2nd round.

Slimebeast said:
zuvuyeay said:

@lesta

Yes but they want to win the group so they'll avoid meeting Spain in the 2nd round.

of course,i didn't realise the could win the group

if they beat brasil that would mean brasil would be on the side of the draw with argentina,germany,england that would be hilarious not that it would worry brasil i guess,lol

portugal should bust a gut to win that game but i think brasil also know this,

who knows who will win group H though its not clear cut

Above & Beyond

Gnizmo said:
Slimebeast said:

For the medals it's obviously not more competitive, but what they mean is the group play.

Euro Cup has 16 teams and 8 go to quarter finals. World cup has 32 from which 16 go to second round.

So it's harder to qualify from the group play in Euro Cup than WC because the talent isn't as diluted as it is in the WC (which always has a bunch of weak teams like North Korea, Honduras, Algeria and New Zealand).

Ah well, fair enough then. Language barrier probably interfered a bit. I did watch it by the by, so I am familiar with the results. I am still pissed that Spain won. One lucky goal! Germany was the better team.

@Lestat
I am not claiming they are complete garbage or anything, or even performing poorly. They just aren't putting on the same show as Brazil or Germany did in the first game. I wouldn't die of shock if they won, but itisn't something I expect.

You talking about the 2008 final ?

Spain was the better of two mediocre teams on that evening. Germany only had 15 minutes where they really tried to make a goal. One exceptional chance, but the rest of the game was dominated by Spain.

zuvuyeay said:
Slimebeast said:
zuvuyeay said:

@lesta

of course,i didn't realise the could win the group

if they beat brasil that would mean brasil would be on the side of the draw with argentina,germany,england that would be hilarious not that it would worry brasil i guess,lol

portugal should bust a gut to win that game but i think brasil also know this,

who knows who will win group H though its not clear cut

I hope not... that side is already hard enough.

Slimebeast said:
Gnizmo said:

Go go Japan! 2-0 on Denmark! I am really hoping they win. Of course, I generally enjoy watching UEFA teams lose. The conference gets so vastly over rated in these discussions that it gets on my nerves. Not to say they aren't home to some of the best teams ever, but too many seem to think UEFA is automatically better than the other conferences.

UEFA is better than all the other conferences combined.

Conmebol hasnt lost any match this world cup, and only have 2 draws, the best teams so far have been from CONMEBOL

And ask Brazil or Argentina if they prefer to qualify in europe or in south america.