By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Wii dominate Japan until SMG?

In the last weeks we saw Wii dropping in japanese sales and some was concerned about it. But the last weeks all consoles dropped, it's a slow time. The week ending 30th september was different, because every console increased it's sales except Wii and PSP - and PSP dropped from an extraordinary high. It's hard to see any trend, some may see the Wii now doomed, some say it's a temporary drop and the third group will see the Wii reaching now a normal level (maybe at 20K/week). However, even this week the Wii sold more than the competition (PS3, XBOX 360). But, if the trend continues the next weeks, what will happen? As I know, no big software release for the Wii will come until Super Mario Galaxy. Surely SMG will increase the momentum, but it's some time until then. The PS3 on the other hand sold more with only one new release: Oblivion. And this wasn't a very big one. But enough to sell some PS3. So my question is: is the Wii able to stay in the front position every week until SMG hits or can the PS3 win one or more weeks against the Wii? What do you think?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

If 40 gig is out there before SMG, then likely ps3 will outsell the wii since its at a lwer price. But when SMG comes, A huge BOOM will hit the ps3 and drop down to the pit of hell. (In other words wii sales will increase, and outsell the ps3 when SMG is released)

mM

Umm...I thought the Wii already dominated in Japan since the launch!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

I honeslty have no idea for the low sales. But it probably may be the redicrected consoles to countryside.

Also, in b4 "wii is teh fad".

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

leo-j said:
If 40 gig is out there before SMG, then likely ps3 will outsell the wii since its at a lwer price. But when SMG comes, A huge BOOM will hit the ps3 and drop down to the pit of hell. (In other words wii sales will increase, and outsell the ps3 when SMG is released)

Since when was the fabled 40Gig going to be cheaper than the Wii?

Around the Network

When is the 40g PS3 coming to Japan? How much will it be compared to the current offering? In yen preferably.

I don't think it will land prior to SMG, so I say Wii will remain 1st in home consoles weekly sales throughout the remainder of the year. Probably stay that way until some major game like MGS4 or FF13 comes out.

Since the PSP SLim outsold DS.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
I honeslty have no idea for the low sales. But it probably may be the redicrected consoles to countryside.

This is no longer the case. If you look at worldwide weekly sales, the Wii has been steadily declining in September, and last week (Halo week), was outside worldwide by the 360. It's a lull until the holidays, upon which the uptake will be disgusting again.

It seems the Wii is leveling out around 20-25k, so unless the PS3 gets a game that can bump it up to a good 30k, the Wii will stay champion for the remainder. 

Wii is a fad.

In 5-7 years, you'll see Wii sales drop off severely.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

+1 for famousringo

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you