By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest IX ... getting BAD reviews?!?!

Hisiru said:

@leo-j and PullusPardus

No, I am saying there are japanese gamers that was expecting to see this game on the consoles.

"and even the fact that the game is on the DS."

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=89063

Maybe they are haters? We have to wait for an official review.

I was already sick of the "Wii haters" crap that's been going on here for a while. Don't let that overflow onto the DS, because in terms of software (and sales), the DS is damn near a handheld PS2

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
Hisiru said:
Fanboys (they don't need to buy the game to make bad reviews).

Fanboys in japan ?

its not fanboys, alotta people i know in japan already own a DS just for this game (they bought it when they announced DQIX) and they said its disapointing.

If they own a DS for that game that means they spent what?  200 dollars for one game?

And they're disapointed?  No kidding.

outlawauron said:
Millennium said:
outlawauron said:
Being too kiddy or childish is just valid a complaint as people saying the game is too brown and grey.

No, actually, it isn't. The former is nothing more than the bleating of an immature adolescent males -in mindset, if not necessarily in body- trying desperately to prove to themselves that they're ready for more than they truly are by denying themselves the things they once enjoyed and had no reason to stop enjoying. The latter at least requires a modicum of thought into the game's style, as opposed to knee-jerk fits of hormonal rage.

What the hell? How could be any more assuming? So, if I were to complain about babification (word I just invetned to describe over simplification and make it overly childish) it instantly makes me an immature adolescent makes that is just giving knee jerk fits of hormonal rage? Screw that.

No. The knee-jerk aversion to "babification" (and the association of simplicity with immaturity which led you to choose that term) provides powerful evidence of immaturity, but it does not "make" you immature any more than playing M-rated games "makes" you mature. An example of something that would make you more mature is outgrowing the concept of "outgrowing" things.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Mise said:

That was a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant to say was more like this:

I don't understand how DQ9, which apparently greatly resembles the older games in terms of art style, is now suddenly 'kiddy', when (at least some of) the art of the series has been drawn by Toriyama, whose style isn't exactly grim and gritty in the first place. Hell, the series has always looked light-hearted, so why is it such a problem now?

Indeed.  I don't know why people are throwing a fit about it.  But as it has been said, I think its just the same people who complained about DQVIII having an 'Anime Style'.

Mise said:

It's not really the fact that you can beat the game without grinding - it's that DQ8 (at least) seems to drown you in random encounters after every few steps you take. Yes, you can run from the fights, but from what I can remember that fails more often than not and gives the enemies free hits, so you're better off fighting anyway, which results in grinding.

Well like any RPG, you shouldn't run from fights.  That will just make you weak.  As for the random encounter rate, it wasn't too heavy in my view.  It only felt that way if you were trying to get to a specific area and were trying to avoid random encounters (which btw, there were several items/abilites/accessories in the game which allowed you to do so).

But really now, with DQIX (and DQM: Joker as well on the DS), 'Random Encounters' are no longer a problem.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Millennium said:
outlawauron said:
Millennium said:
outlawauron said:
Being too kiddy or childish is just valid a complaint as people saying the game is too brown and grey.

No, actually, it isn't. The former is nothing more than the bleating of an immature adolescent males -in mindset, if not necessarily in body- trying desperately to prove to themselves that they're ready for more than they truly are by denying themselves the things they once enjoyed and had no reason to stop enjoying. The latter at least requires a modicum of thought into the game's style, as opposed to knee-jerk fits of hormonal rage.

What the hell? How could be any more assuming? So, if I were to complain about babification (word I just invetned to describe over simplification and make it overly childish) it instantly makes me an immature adolescent makes that is just giving knee jerk fits of hormonal rage? Screw that.

No. The knee-jerk aversion to "babification" (and the association of simplicity with immaturity which led you to choose that term) provides powerful evidence of immaturity, but it does not "make" you immature any more than playing M-rated games "makes" you mature. An example of something that would make you more mature is outgrowing the concept of "outgrowing" things.

You're mixing up the definitions of simplicity and over-simplification. Simple can be fun, and veyr fun at that. Wii Sports was a very simple, but extremely fun game. You could spend hours with it.

Over-simplification is when compromises are made that affect the experience in a negative way. A good example is how developers seem to like holding gamers hands through these very easy games we get these days.

And also, I never said Mature rated titles make you mature or that E-rated titles are childish. I don't think I'm outgrowing anything personally, but I will say that my tastes in games have changed as I've gotten older.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

That's very funny that DQIX is getting maligned so much by these "Amazon" reviewers, because Famitsu gave the game a perfect score of 40/40.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=79971&page=1

JTurner82 said:
That's very funny that DQIX is getting maligned so much by these "Amazon" reviewers, because Famitsu gave the game a perfect score of 40/40.

B...bu....but! Famitsu only reviews based off of hype!

/sarcasm

BMaker11 said:
JTurner82 said:

/sarcasm

Nearly all major review sites base major reviews off of hype now.  IGN, Gamespot, 1up, etc. 

/not sarcasm

If you have a major game coming out, say Halo 3 or GTA IV or Mario Galaxy, you upscore the game and say as many things you think the fans want to say about the game.  Because the fans are reading your publication and you want them to keep reading it.  You keep all your 'opinions' or 'real' reviews for other games (which the majority of your readers won't pay attention to or won't cause a major anger against your publication).

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
BMaker11 said:
JTurner82 said:

/sarcasm

Nearly all major review sites base major reviews off of hype now.  IGN, Gamespot, 1up, etc. 

/not sarcasm

If you have a major game coming out, say Halo 3 or GTA IV or Mario Galaxy, you upscore the game and say as many things you think the fans want to say about the game.  Because the fans are reading your publication and you want them to keep reading it.  You keep all your 'opinions' or 'real' reviews for other games (which the majority of your readers won't pay attention to or won't cause a major anger against your publication).

That and videogame magazines have been dying for a while now.

Magazines live off threee things.  Subscriptions, magazines sold to stores and advertising.

With the first two dwindling the third is really important.

Last thing you can afford is pissing off a huge source of advertising revenue.  Which... most adds are bought by said companies.

Websites are the same way except they rely on ads even more.