By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A hillarious situation I witnessed in Wal Mart today...

So I went to WalMart today to get some camping gear and figured i'd go in the gaming/electronics section to hunt for deals.

While there I couldn't help but notice a kid with his mother buying a videogame system. So I listened in at what they were saying and the conversation went something like this:

Kid: ...but mom I want an Xbox

Mom: No son, we are getting the Wii for you, its much better.

Kid: no it isn't, I want an xbox mom

Mom: The wii is much more powerful and cool... you will like it better.

Kid: but mom I don't want a wii...*starts crying*

Mom: Don't cry, they have the same games anyways. Wii is just better...right sales lady?

Sales lady: yes, much better

Mom: see, I told you. We are getting a wii.

Kid: *still crying as they proceed to checkout*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I found this quite funny, but at the same time it makes me wonder...this kid cleary wanted a 360, but mom bought him a wii. Why?

Is it becuase wii is family freindly with a clean image? Nah!

Is it because its cheaper and she didn't want to spend more than $269? Nah, xbox is 199...

Is it because she wants to play Wii Fit when hes not home? Bingo!

I don't know if I'm looking to start a discussion here, I just thought I'd share my gaming story of the day...any thoughts, comments?

Around the Network

Maybe because she heard better things about it, and all her friends talk about it. And seriously, he's crying that he's getting a Wii? It may not be the system he wants, but goddamn. I don't care how young that kid is, that's ridiculous.

Besides, she probably knows what's appropriate for him. Most likely, he wanted games like Call of Duty and Halo, while he's probably not even a teenager. All these are valid reasons.

Well Nintendo did say they wanted to make Wii a system that mothers would approve of so I guess this is more evidence to the fact they're geniuses :P

@MontanaHatchet

You are probably right in saying that the mom may have wanted to protect her son from violent games, as I even heard Call of Duty being mentioned by the kid. But at the same time he can pick up Madworld or House of the Dead for the Wii no?

If parents are looking to protect their kids against M rated games, they need to constantly check what he is playing no matter what system he owns.

While I agree that crying when getting a videogame system is somewhat spoiled...i also believe that when giving a gift to someone, you should give them that which they want. I call this dropped ball on the parents side... The kid was 10-12 years old, they have 3-4 more years tops to be super cool parents cause after the teen angst hits, its all over...

your making that up, that just can't happen.

Around the Network

I'd bet she has had many conversations with friends coworkers who all declared Wii as better. So, she bought that. He, like most kids, talk to all of his buddies who have 360's and or want 360's due to live and popular FPS games.

As soon as Wii starts getting more Conduit and even better FPS games, it will become more popular with the kiddies.

emilie autumn said:
your making that up, that just can't happen.

Nah...i post here quite a bit but I make threads 1 ever 4 weeks. I wouldn't waste my 4 week thread on something I made up ;)

You support Wal Mart?

Terrrible.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
You support Wal Mart?

Terrrible.

Hey... where else can I get 3 copies of Timecop for 9.99?

then thats weird. i saw a similar situation where a boy friend wanted to buy mario strikers, but her girlfriend literally riped the game out the hands of the counter guy and bought sponge bob instead.