By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Vashyo said:
Link doesn't have any character depth, he doesn't speak, he has no past and he allways gets pretty much randomly chosen to save the world.

That's why I prefer cloud, even if he emoes atleast he does it for a reason.

Vashyo, meet WordsOfWisdom:

Words Of Wisdom said:
MrBubbles said:

I think this is all about the sword.  Link carries around his normal or undersized swords...and cloud carries around his big sword.  

Your thoughts?...Is just another "sizes matters" situation?

I think part of it has always been the ambiguity of Link's age.  He ranges from young to teenager-ish to adult in various games.  Anyone making the same sexual jokes about Link as Cloud might be a pedo.

The other part is that Link has never had that rough and tough image.  People feel insecure compared to Cloud so they make fun of him to hide their own insecurities.  People don't do that with Link because whereas Cloud has that firmly defined personality, a lot of people project themselves into Link.  When someone plays FF7, they control the cast but the cast each has distinctive personalities.  When people play Zelda, they become Link.  Link's ambiguous and player-defined character is something that Miyamoto has spoken of and one of the highlights of the series.

If we're talking about a fight in the real world, Link wins.  No one could lift Cloud's impossibly large sword, much less get a swing off before the other guy stabs him through the chest.  If we're talking about in some alternate dimension where the worlds of Zelda and Final Fantasy have met, it's much closer.  Cloud's got his ridiculously large sword and skills and such, but Link has the Triforce of Courage and the Gods backing him.

Around the Network

I agree with Bardicverse. FF7 was actually the last great FF game (IMO) after that it went downhill. Now on topic Its a close call but I pick Link. As great as cloud is I have to pick link on account that I can actually tell him apart from the female characters in the game. With cloud its a little harder to do so.

Wichdog69

Yes I do like IX, but IMO it was just ok. FFVII was awsome. As a matter of fact I borrowed IX from a friend. I have'nt bought a FF game since VII and I'm not very excited for XIII either. Like I said this is just my personal opinion. you're welcomed to disagree with me.

Wichdog69

wichdog69 said:
I agree with Bardicverse. FF7 was actually the last great FF game (IMO) after that it went downhill. Now on topic Its a close call but I pick Link. As great as cloud is I have to pick link on account that I can actually tell him apart from the female characters in the game. With cloud its a little harder to do so.

Wrong. New generation that never played any FF series before VII will tell you what you just claimed. Those of us who were born with the series truly know that FF went downhill starting with FFVII. The last master piece was VI. After that the only decent FF game was IX which became a tribute to the first 6.

What are you looking at, nerd?

@Stan.

What is it that you dont like about FF7 8 and 9? Im curious.

Around the Network

Cloud- the 21-year old poster boy for everything cool. He carries a big sword *hint hint* and is a hero. Who doesn't want to be one? In the 1st jump to 3D, FF7 became I think the best-selling RPG of all-time and the crown jewel of Sony aficionados. He represented a genre (JRPG) at its near peak.

However, he also had his own demons to deal, even being sidelined for a part of the game.  That vulnerability and "crumble" from pressure is something we can all relate to at one point in our lives. Luckily for Cloud, he is united for a common purpose with his friends and has some type of path set for him, somewhere to go, a goal.  At 21 years old, most men (in college or some trade school, etc) are not only at their physical peak and entry into MANhood, but at the possibly the largest crossroad in life, the REAL WORLD. Once again, most males could relate.

Link- Link from OOT/MM (my personal favorites) covers a wider area of age, ranging from possibly 11 to Cloud's 21. He has been a staple of Nintendo for 23 years, so there is not much thought in figuring out why gamers love him so much.

However Link is a different breed from Cloud. He is silent (almost mute really) but is very headstrong in what he does. Unlike Cloud, Link is alone. He has no parents, no relatives. Whenever you play Zelda, he has no Hylians like him or humans for that matter accompanying him at any times. He is probably withdrawn like Cloud but never reveals it, suffering in silence. Zelda is a one-player game, so the experience is also reflected upon the player, who is most likely playing the game alone and discovering the world along with Link.

Notice how people always ask Link to do something, or is told to do something. Not once have I ever seen him embark upon an adventure just for the hell of it. Once again he needs a goal, something we all need, some direction. Ocarina of Time was arguably the greatest game ever because it combined all these different locales and weapons and subquests and an excellent ending with a strong story.

As for strength, we can surely find ways to counter each others examples with several features from both series, so we will never find a true answer.

I'd go deeper into this but my concentration was broken, and I can't remember anything else.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

@Saviorx link when to look for his old friend in MM without anyone asking him to do it, its his personal journe about his personal goal, and he gets wind up in something bigger in the process, but still is not some "chosen one save the world thing"

@stangable
I will partially agree with you on your comment being that I grew up with FF myself. Like I said this is my opinion. FFVII to me felt like a breath of fresh air but then I longed for the oldschool flavor as the series continued.

Wichdog69

SaviorX said:

Cloud- the 21-year old poster boy for everything cool. He carries a big sword *hint hint* and is a hero. Who doesn't want to be one? In the 1st jump to 3D, FF7 became I think the best-selling RPG of all-time and the crown jewel of Sony aficionados. He represented a genre (JRPG) at its near peak.

However, he also had his own demons to deal, even being sidelined for a part of the game.  That vulnerability and "crumble" from pressure is something we can all relate to at one point in our lives. Luckily for Cloud, he is united for a common purpose with his friends and has some type of path set for him, somewhere to go, a goal.  At 21 years old, most men (in college or some trade school, etc) are not only at their physical peak and entry into MANhood, but at the possibly the largest crossroad in life, the REAL WORLD. Once again, most males could relate.

Link- Link from OOT/MM (my personal favorites) covers a wider area of age, ranging from possibly 11 to Cloud's 21. He has been a staple of Nintendo for 23 years, so there is not much thought in figuring out why gamers love him so much.

However Link is a different breed from Cloud. He is silent (almost mute really) but is very headstrong in what he does. Unlike Cloud, Link is alone. He has no parents, no relatives. Whenever you play Zelda, he has no Hylians like him or humans for that matter accompanying him at any times. He is probably withdrawn like Cloud but never reveals it, suffering in silence. Zelda is a one-player game, so the experience is also reflected upon the player, who is most likely playing the game alone and discovering the world along with Link.

Notice how people always ask Link to do something, or is told to do something. Not once have I ever seen him embark upon an adventure just for the hell of it. Once again he needs a goal, something we all need, some direction. Ocarina of Time was arguably the greatest game ever because it combined all these different locales and weapons and subquests and an excellent ending with a strong story.

As for strength, we can surely find ways to counter each others examples with several features from both series, so we will never find a true answer.

I'd go deeper into this but my concentration was broken, and I can't remember anything else.

I agree with what you said

FFVII is heavily focused on the characters, a lot more than any othe RPG before it. Of course there were background stories as why characters were they way they were, but it was not enough to get deeply involved with them. When this game arrived, it changed dramatically the developmen t of the RPG story. because all of them (Could, Tifa, Barret, Nanaki a.k.a. Red XIII, Cid, Aeris, etc.) has a background and were opening themselves to the players little by little. Cloud stood out the most as the player could feel the pain, understand what he's been through and all. This is why he is loved among women and men (like Ricky Martin :P).

Links is so much different, as WoW said, he is not a defined character as cloud. But has two things that makes him admirable: the courage to face all difficulties and the determination to keep going no matter what. Thes two qualities pay off as the player advances into the game. Similar to real life that while the difficulties are there, one must never give up and keep going doing all their best. This is why of ther easons why Legend of zelda has no experience points (besides Zelda II). Because it gives a sense to the player that they have become stronger not by becoming a monster slaughter but by facing obstacle after obstacle while moving forward.

Cloud ca-ca-can uhhh................... TALK!