By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS3 going to finish in a distant third place" says analyst

The Wii is almost as last gen as the PS2... Or should we exclude the Wii too ?

The sales of every console depend on its release date, so of course it matters.

The PS3 is selling so horribly the sales are actually on par (15 % difference) with the 360 sales right now, with a much higher price point. I guess Sony must be very frightened.

Around the Network

The GC was already more powerful then the ps2 and the wii shines in new control. Making all your HD controllers last gen. Should we call the HD consoles last gen as well then?

Seriously, stop this as you're not going to win. The fact is 3rd party support doesn't give a shit about when a current gen console came out, all they care about is the size of the userbase. Get that through that thick skull of yours.

Tony_Parker said:
The Wii is almost as last gen as the PS2... Or should we exclude the Wii too ?

The sales of every console depend on its release date, so of course it matters.

The PS3 is selling so horribly the sales are actually on par (15 % difference) with the 360 sales right now, with a much higher price point. I guess Sony must be very frightened.

Sony isn't making a profit, so yeah they are

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

A question to the other posters here:

Isn´t what tony parker is doing considered flamebaiting?

I never knew exacly what that means so I am asking a serious quesion here.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

His last post was flame baiting yes.

Around the Network

^^ yeah but he plays all innocent so he gets away with it ... for now.

FKNetwork said:
LOL at the sony fanboys saying 360 sales are only because people bought 3 or 4 consoles as they broke, seriously, is that all you have as ammo now?

360 sales do not include any repaired consoles as stated many times, anyone buying 3 or 4 360's are seriously weird in the head as all 360's are fully guaranteed for three years, there is no need to buy another 360 unless your 3 years is up.

This is funny to watch how sony fanboys try to think up new things to use against 360 owners, if I was you I would be more concerned about the current state of the PS3 and Sony rather than taking digs at the 360,

There's a high chance Sony won't be here next generation, think about that before starting on 360 owners next time....

You tell that to a person who is such a diehard 360 fan, that when they're 360 breaks you say "Just get a PS3, it won't break on you" and they say "Forget the PS3, it sucks" (even though both systems share the majority of their games) and just keep their HDD and buy an Arcade

I've had 3 friends tell me that

Samus Aran said:
ps2 is a beast.

Launch dates don't matter, but current and last gen consoles matter. Ps2 is clearly last gen console there for you shouldn't compare it as the weekly sales are low for it anyway.

So why do we compare the wii to PS360 than?

De85 said:
BladeOfGod said:

Hmmm, lets see:

Microsoft lost 4 billion on original Xbox and about 1 billion on 360, mostly because of RROD.  And we are yet to see if Natal is going to be profitable. And i dont think they will spend more and more money on 1 unprofitable division.

Sony made about 7 - 8 billion on PS1, PS2 and PSP (PSP Go will make even more money than PSP because its UMD-less) and lost about 3-4 billion on PS3. So their division still made them money and they are not going to go out of buisness because of 1 last gen.You should be more worried about Xbox going out of hardware buisness than SCE. In fact, i cant wait to play Halo 4 and Gears 3 on my PS4 :)

MS is making profit off the xbox right now and that is all investors care about.  Any money they may have made or lost in the past is irrelevant, when you make business decisions they are based on future expectations.

2 last sentences were jokes, i dont really believe Xbox will go out of hardware buissnes for a while:) I was just trying to explain why Sony wont go out of hardware buisness

Viper1 said:
BladeOfGod said:

Hmmm, lets see:

Microsoft lost 4 billion on original Xbox and about 1 billion on 360, mostly because of RROD.  And we are yet to see if Natal is going to be profitable. And i dont think they will spend more and more money on 1 unprofitable division.

Sony made about 7 - 8 billion on PS1, PS2 and PSP (PSP Go will make even more money than PSP because its UMD-less) and lost about 3-4 billion on PS3. So their division still made them money and they are not going to go out of buisness because of 1 last gen.You should be more worried about Xbox going out of hardware buisness than SCE. In fact, i cant wait to play Halo 4 and Gears 3 on my PS4 :)

Just want to clarify your numbers.

MS lost ~$5.5 billion during the Xbox years and a further ~$3.4 billion during the current X360 years though they are now posting quarterly (and fiscal year) profits.  Granted they may take until the end of the next generation console cycle to completely make profit overall.

Sony had made ~$3 billion during the PS years, ~$2.2 billion during the PS2 years and lost ~$3.6 billion during the current PS3 years.  They've wiped out ALL of the PS2 years and about half of the PS years of profits.  Indeed they still have a plus side of ~$1.6 billion but considering they are still losing money this generation doesn't give much security to that stash.

Now here's another thing to consider with your otion that MS is in more trouble than Sony.  Which company overall makes a profit these days?  Sony or MS?  Usually Sony could eat the losses like MS does with profits gained elsewhere but Sony doesn't have that luxury these days and their fiscal report last March warned that this year would be even worse for them and would post an even bigger loss.

Now I'm sure both comapnies will be back next generation but you will most certainly see changes that reflect how they design and price their consoles in light of the financial debts being accrued.

I agree completely but you missed some facts.

You didnt included PSP profits

PS3 loses are getting smaller and smaller, Sony predicted they will start making profit on PS3 next year ( so it took them 3 years to make profit with PS3, just like MS with 360)