By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS3 going to finish in a distant third place" says analyst

BladeOfGod said:

Hmmm, lets see:

Microsoft lost 4 billion on original Xbox and about 1 billion on 360, mostly because of RROD.  And we are yet to see if Natal is going to be profitable. And i dont think they will spend more and more money on 1 unprofitable division.

Sony made about 7 - 8 billion on PS1, PS2 and PSP (PSP Go will make even more money than PSP because its UMD-less) and lost about 3-4 billion on PS3. So their division still made them money and they are not going to go out of buisness because of 1 last gen.You should be more worried about Xbox going out of hardware buisness than SCE. In fact, i cant wait to play Halo 4 and Gears 3 on my PS4 :)

MS is making profit off the xbox right now and that is all investors care about.  Any money they may have made or lost in the past is irrelevant, when you make business decisions they are based on future expectations.

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:

Hmmm, lets see:

Microsoft lost 4 billion on original Xbox and about 1 billion on 360, mostly because of RROD.  And we are yet to see if Natal is going to be profitable. And i dont think they will spend more and more money on 1 unprofitable division.

Sony made about 7 - 8 billion on PS1, PS2 and PSP (PSP Go will make even more money than PSP because its UMD-less) and lost about 3-4 billion on PS3. So their division still made them money and they are not going to go out of buisness because of 1 last gen.You should be more worried about Xbox going out of hardware buisness than SCE. In fact, i cant wait to play Halo 4 and Gears 3 on my PS4 :)

Just want to clarify your numbers.

MS lost ~$5.5 billion during the Xbox years and a further ~$3.4 billion during the current X360 years though they are now posting quarterly (and fiscal year) profits.  Granted they may take until the end of the next generation console cycle to completely make profit overall.

Sony had made ~$3 billion during the PS years, ~$2.2 billion during the PS2 years and lost ~$3.6 billion during the current PS3 years.  They've wiped out ALL of the PS2 years and about half of the PS years of profits.  Indeed they still have a plus side of ~$1.6 billion but considering they are still losing money this generation doesn't give much security to that stash.

Now here's another thing to consider with your otion that MS is in more trouble than Sony.  Which company overall makes a profit these days?  Sony or MS?  Usually Sony could eat the losses like MS does with profits gained elsewhere but Sony doesn't have that luxury these days and their fiscal report last March warned that this year would be even worse for them and would post an even bigger loss.

Now I'm sure both comapnies will be back next generation but you will most certainly see changes that reflect how they design and price their consoles in light of the financial debts being accrued.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

LOL at the sony fanboys saying 360 sales are only because people bought 3 or 4 consoles as they broke, seriously, is that all you have as ammo now?

360 sales do not include any repaired consoles as stated many times, anyone buying 3 or 4 360's are seriously weird in the head as all 360's are fully guaranteed for three years, there is no need to buy another 360 unless your 3 years is up.

This is funny to watch how sony fanboys try to think up new things to use against 360 owners, if I was you I would be more concerned about the current state of the PS3 and Sony rather than taking digs at the 360,

There's a high chance Sony won't be here next generation, think about that before starting on 360 owners next time....

@FKN : now what we have now is the best games are PS3 exclusives. That was true in 2008 too with LBP and MGS4.

AAA 360 exclusive (90+ metacritic) in 2009 : zero

AAA PS3 exclusive in 2009 : two (Killzone 2 and MLB 09)

Sales are fine too, since PS3 sold more than the 360 in the same time frame from launch.

Or is the 360 a failure ?

Tony_Parker said:
@FKN : now what we have now is the best games are PS3 exclusives. That was true in 2008 too with LBP and MGS4.

Classic case of I-know-what-others-value-most disease. Here's a hint: you don't!

This is invisible text!

Around the Network
Tony_Parker said:

Sales are fine too, since PS3 sold more than the 360 in the same time frame from launch.

Typical I-only-count-exclusives to make people believe what I say is true...so biased and pointless..

Guess what ? Multiplateforming is as important to this hd-gen as exclusivites ... and they sell way better on 360. Explain that...

2008-Q4 exclusivities didn't stopped selling on the 360 because it is 2009 now... geeezz... (MLB 09 ? Waouww ...)

We will see on the 31/12/09 who has the better exclusivities if it is so important to you...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

The thing with multiplats is they're available on both platforms.

They sell better on 360 ? So what ? I'm a gamer, I'm no shareholder.

It's very easy to explain, one console is much cheaper than the other, so its installed base is greater, so most multiplats sell more on 360 (but not all, see RE5, SF4, Tomb raider, burnout paradise, they all sold more on PS3).

I have nothing against the 360. The day I stop reading stupid PS3 doom threads written by 12 year old dumb kids, I'll stop bothering you with facts. The reality is both consoles are doing well, there are amazing games on both, and nobody can tell who is 'going to finish a distant third', actually there could well be no distant third at all if you ask me.

Garnett said:

I showed alot of people Natal and everyone is interested in it.

agree. Since the last e3 sony has been on the down side.

Stupid post like this one. Thanks sly777, I needed an example.

Tony_Parker said:

When are you going to get that out of your thick head???

You keep repeating this in thread after thread, it doesn´t mutter shit with alligned sales not a dam thing because if it did mutter at all Wii would have been over 50% market share so fast after its release that game developers would have switched their main focus to Wii so much faster but they didnt.

You know why they didnt because they didnt look at aligned sales they looked at current sales and thats what mutters not some retarded excuse to make your self feel better.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.