By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS3 going to finish in a distant third place" says analyst

Cueil said:
errorrrr said:
Cypher1980 said:
stewroids said:
The PS3 has been doing really well keeping the following facts in mind:

1. It was launched at a price of $600, which is 200 or 300 more than the 360 and Wii were at the time. Even now, the cheapest PS3 you can get is $400 while the cheapest 360 is $200. The arcade console from Microsoft is one of the main reasons the 360 is ahead, it's really cheap and a parent would obviously buy the cheaper console for their kid.

2. PS3 has been out for about 3 years now and has sold 22 million units, meaning on average, about 7.5 million units per year. The 360 on the other hand has been out for 4 years and has sold 30 million units thus far, and is also selling 7.5 million on average per year. The extra year that the 360 has on the PS3 is responsible for the lead, MS had a head start. If the PS3 had released a year earlier, then it would be in the lead!

3. The 360 has a failure rate of 40 percent, while the PS3 is less than 1 percent. Many people would just send their system in for repair, but some of them just buy a new console because the defect isn't covered under the warranty or they just didn't want to wait for the entire process to take place. Not only that, but the 3 year warranty of many 360 owners that bought it when it came has expired which forced them to buy a new 360. I would say the defects in the 360 are responsible for a good amount of units sold, as much as 5-6 million and this number will only continue to grow as the warranties keep expiring.

In my opinion, the PS3 will gain momentum if they play their cards right. There is no hope of catching to the Wii, in my opinion they are the winners of this generation. But if Sony drops the price and bundles the console with GT5 or Uncharted 2, then it will sell like hot cakes. My prediction is that by the end of 2010, the PS3 and 360 will be practically even in terms of units sold and since this generation is said to last longer than previous generation (even until 2015), the PS3 has plenty of time to overtake the 360 and win beat MS once again.

I guess time will tell though...one thing is for sure though...Nintendo fucking rocks! They have a clean victory over both consoles and made a comeback from the previous generation.

I had no idea that the 360 failure rates were so high. That would mean over 12 million consoles have failed since launch.

Amazing. The things you learn on the internet huh !

That brings me a question... do the sales data also include consoles that are REPURCHASED because of failed X360? Do they also count replacement for concoles sent to people?? That way wouldn't the X360's data be REALLY inflated?

if these things help you sleep knowing that a 9 million unit lead is about to be on hand then keep on believing

Isn't it obvious? The lead is only because of the reasons I mentioned. It must be tough for you to sleep at night knowing that the PS3 will overtake the 360 eventually, especially since a price cut is immenent. Not only that, but Sony's first party exclusive lineup is unbeatable and that will attract customers.

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:

@stewroids
360's failure rate is not 40%. Its 32%. Almost 13 of 360s sold are dead.Its just some of those 360s got fixed (for another 6 months) and some people just bought the new ones

Or they bought a new one AND got the old one fixed... like me.  Now we have two 360s at our house.  No fighting over who gets to play it.

Yeah, that makes you wonder about the real installed base gap if half of 360 owners had to buy 3 or 4 consoles.

ssj12 said:
when did Forza 3 becoming a definitive title? I could have sworn there was quite a few racing games better. GT5, Burnout, GTi, and several others.

Wow! you played Forza 3 then? amazing.....

Until you actually play Forza 3 STFU on saying what is or isn't better than it, same goes for GT5.....

Tony_Parker said:
Yeah, that makes you wonder about the real installed base gap if half of 360 owners had to buy 3 or 4 consoles.

Well now. It would be easier to look at the software sales and realise that there is alot more 360's out there than PS3's per home. Come on man. You really dont look at figures. At least state it's your opinion if you post opinions. Becasue so far you have argued all day and not used one ounce of fact.

Around the Network
Ronster316 said:
@ Bladeofgod

You said it yourself, look how many billions of dollars the ps3 has cost sony.

Sony may have made a profit in the past, but this is the present.

Ps2 is on its last legs so they can hardly rely on that for revenue.

So yes, i think i'll be playing sony's games (well, the only one i like is God of war) on my 360 or 720 in a few years time.

And look how many billions of dollars has xbox brand cost MS.

And PS3's costs and losses are getting smaller and smaller its only the matter of time when it becomes profitable. And PSP and PS2 are making profit and PSP Go will make even bigger profits, so  SCE is fine despite PS3 problems.

The 360 is a great console but the fact is that because it was released a year earlier and because many people, including myself, had to buy at least 2 consoles, the total sales figures are inflated. I think that if the PS3 was released earlier then it would be far ahead of the 360 or even if you disregarded the number of ppl who had to repurchase the console then the PS3 would be much closer, if not even!

Tony_Parker said:

So the actual attach rate for the xbox 360's would be 12.5?

237m games divided by 15 million consoles + 3.75 million consoles that have been replaced 4 times ("half of 360 owners had to buy 3 or 4 consoles" as you stated)

Wow.. the 360 is a software powerhouse!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
Tony_Parker said:

So the actual attach rate for the xbox 360's would be 12.5?

237m games divided by 15 million consoles + 3.75 million consoles that have been replaced 4 times ("half of 360 owners had to buy 3 or 4 consoles" as you stated)

Wow.. the 360 is a software powerhouse!

LOL, Tony_Parker exaggerated it a bit, but like I said, most people usually send their consoles in for repair, but others simply buy a new one, especially after their warranties have expired. My estimate is that with all the warranties that have expired since launch date, the 360's sales have been inflated by about 5 million units.

Do these guys get paid for this?

Look guys, it's pointless to discuss this article because we all know ps3 will end in a distant 3rd place. The only thing wrong in that article was calling forza 3 the definitive racing game this gen.

Ps: ROFLMAO at the mommy part, what a baby.