By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 ever have a game of 10 million in sales or more?

Based on whats been announced and software sales so far only Gran Turismo 5 has a realistic shot. However we don't know what Sony has planned or how the PS3 could grow in the next few years so never say never. If you include bundles ofc then there is a much greater chance (relatively) that it will get a 10 million seller.

Around the Network

Take 2 said GTAIV has shipped 6.5 million on PS3/360 each, so that's the number I'm going with.

The game that has a shot at making it is GT5.

Yep, it seems pretty clear that Gran Turismo 5 and maybe 6 if released in this generation are the only games that can push ten million. It's sad. I wanted the PS3 to be a software hog in some respects.

Gran Turismo 5 is the only game that will and should easily sell over ten million units I can't see any other game selling over 10 million in the near future.

I highly doubt it.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

IMVHO PS3 needs its user base to reach at least 40million to see 10million seller games.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
IMVHO PS3 needs its user base to reach at least 40million to see 10million seller games.

It's a catch-22 situation... the larger the installed base, the larger the number of potential buyers for a specific game, but considering the time it will take for the PS3 to reach 40m, the larger the number of software titles that will be competing with that specific title for sales.

I thought FFXIII might be a contender until it went multi-plat (meaning fewer people on the next-gen fence that will feel compelled to buy a PS3 to get the game).  GT5 might have had a chance, but having partial-package releases such as GT5:Prologue has probably blunted the market by giving those simply curious about the graphics, etc., what they would want from the game.

Gosh if only Sony in 2006 could see us arguing about them hitting such a basic benchmark. This market sure changes quickly. As to the discussion. Yes I think the PS3 will get a 10mil or 2, but they will be games that sell over a long period of time. GT5 right now looks possible. It will have to be exclusive, it will need to be mainstream, and have good pull in all 3 regions (no FPS's sorry) and even then it will be a close call. But the PS3 has a loyal fanbase, and occasional legs on some titles, so I certainly wouldn't count them out. Of course all this would be pointless if they started a long term pack-in with all consoles sold.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

averyblund said:
Gosh if only Sony in 2006 could see us arguing about them hitting such a basic benchmark. This market sure changes quickly. As to the discussion. Yes I think the PS3 will get a 10mil or 2, but they will be games that sell over a long period of time. GT5 right now looks possible. It will have to be exclusive, it will need to be mainstream, and have good pull in all 3 regions (no FPS's sorry) and even then it will be a close call. But the PS3 has a loyal fanbase, and occasional legs on some titles, so I certainly wouldn't count them out. Of course all this would be pointless if they started a long term pack-in with all consoles sold.

I agree with much of your post, but if you're implying that any of the 3 bolded statements are possible, then I have to disagree... if would take a major miracle for Sony to allow this title to become non-exclusive, the GT series has done very well sales-wise, and I can't see why any of the 3 regions wouldn't go for this title.  My concern is that they've watered down the market with the Prologue, etc.

Zkuq said:

Gran Turismo 5 is probably the only game any time soon, however if the console lasts even nearly as long as Sony hopes (or longer than most people think, that ought to be enough), we might see some casual hits that come pretty close. Yeah, pretty unlikely. Guess we'll have to stick to Gran Turismo 5 then (which is not guaranteed to hit 10M either).

Sardauk said:
CGI-Quality said:
CatFangs806 said:
You have to remember, though. Final Fantasy 13 will be divided between 360 and PS3, much the same way that GTA4 was, so the sales will cut between the two.

The sales will be different from GTA IV though, heavily in favor of PS3.

Why ?

The game will sell at least close to 2M in Japan, exclusively on PS3. Also, the series is attributed to PlayStation so that gives some sales, too - especially since it was meant to be exclusive even this time. Of course MS hype campaign could change much, if they decide to do that.

Ratchetti said:

The PS3 version will (of course) sell ALOT better than 360 version.
Simply because:
1)
the PS3 version will be better. It's designed for PS3 and they haven't even started to work on the 360 version.
2) The PS3 version comes earlier (about a year)
3)There are more PS3 owners in Japan, so they will buy that version and Final Fantasy series sells A L O T in Japan.

I still don't believe it's going to break the 10 million milestone.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, there are not a SINGLE FF game (except FFVII) that has sold over ten million copies.

VGChartz says that VII has sold about 9,72 m, but it has sold a little more, especially now, cuz about 150,000 ppl have bought it on PSN-store.

1. You just totally missed E3, didn't you? They showed some 360 footage, meaning they've already started working on it. Also, they stated they've been working on it for a short time (two months?).
  2. You mean in Japan, where the game is exclusive anyway, because in North America and Europe it'll be released simultaneously on both platforms.
  3. It seems you don't have the slightest idea... The game is still exclusive to PS3 in Japan.

Sorry, didn't know that :o... It's because I didn't care about that franchise, but now I do.

But still the PS3 version will sell much more than the 360 version.

BTW, who the fu*k designed this site?! It's piece of cra*! Seriously! The old site was a lot better...

EDIT: Oh, BTW2... will there be any 360 game that'll sell over 10 million? Or is there already one that has?