By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales 6/22 - 6/28

Ail said:
kylohk said:
Which begs the question, how many price drops did the PS2 have in Japan by the same point in its life?

The install base isn't actually that high in Japan compared to what the PS2 did but the issue is that traditionnal gamers have mostly decided to stay away from that console and at this point I don't think anything Nintendo has in store will change that mentality.

Wii is mostly selling to non traditional gamers there. 

I don't think a price cut will bring Wii back to previous years levels either, it will help but I don't think it will help that much.

Wii is just not considered as an expensive console right now ( the way the PS3 is). Price isn't what is hurting sales, what the platform delivers isn't compelling to most buyers and more of the same ( ala WSR) isn't going to convince them to purchase a Wii if they haven't yet ( and I will make the case that the new Mario game won't move hardware that much, the only unknown really is MH3).

so you are saying a price cut for PS3 by Sony would have a bigger effect on sales than a price cut for Wii by Nintendo. Is that correct?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
gembel said:

3. Atelier Rorona [PS3] 47000 137%

You mean it sold more than it has available? Is that even possible?

If the hardcore gamers are steering clear of the Wii, then where are they? The DS?

I doubt any person in his right mind will avoid playing games on a nice big screen.

Either way, Nintendo should make bundles with their future big games (say 25K per week for 4 weeks after release) to draw people in.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Galaki said:
gembel said:

3. Atelier Rorona [PS3] 47000 137%

You mean it sold more than it has available? Is that even possible?

That would be its intial shipment. Not sure why he put it there. Intial shipments only means something for first day sales.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Ail said:
kylohk said:
Which begs the question, how many price drops did the PS2 have in Japan by the same point in its life?

The install base isn't actually that high in Japan compared to what the PS2 did but the issue is that traditionnal gamers have mostly decided to stay away from that console and at this point I don't think anything Nintendo has in store will change that mentality.

I don't think a price cut will bring Wii back to previous years levels either, it will help but I don't think it will help that much.

Wii is just not considered as an expensive console right now ( the way the PS3 is). Price isn't what is hurting sales, what the platform delivers isn't compelling to most buyers and more of the same ( ala WSR) isn't going to convince them to purchase a Wii if they haven't yet ( and I will make the case that the new Mario game won't move hardware that much, the only unknown really is MH3).

Regardless of the price of the Wii, a price drop will always raise sales.

I didn't say it woudn't raise sales.

But raise them by 150% ?

No way.....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
saicho said:
Ail said:
kylohk said:

so you are saying a price cut for PS3 by Sony would have a bigger effect on sales than a price cut for Wii by Nintendo. Is that correct?

If the PS3 cut is meaningfull and happens before FFXIII most likely.

I'm not making this up either.

There is a general feeliing in the industry that the PS3 is too expensive ( every other week a retail or publisher exec says so) , that same feeling doesn't seem to be so widespread around the Wii....

Right now the PS3 is closer to the 500$ price pt than to the 250$ and that is not a good place to be at...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !