By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales 6/22 - 6/28

Zucas said:
leo-j said:
Atelier is sold out on amazon right now

Obviously retailers under estimated demand for the product.  Guess selling on a better pace than the others in the series will do that eh.

Not only that, but WSR almsot sold out of it's first shipment which was about 380k-400k according to Sinobi percentages.  Find it hard to under estimate that one but it happens eh.

That's what is really surprising me. This has a chance to pass every Atelier game released on the PS2. It'll need 2.0x first week for lifetime and that'll be tough to pull off. If it has 15k+ second week, than it should.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

pretty good WSR

Basically as expected WSR did very well with Wii owners, especially as they have been starved for software for a while in Japan.
However it did not convince undecided buyers to purchase a Wii....

Only hope to see Wii hardware rise significantly before the holyday period is now MH3....
The issue with MH3 though is that it will likely provide a short term boost thanks to the bundling but it's not a Wii family title that can provide a long term boost to hardware, I expect at best a 3 weeks boost and then Wii sales will go back to 16-20k/week.( at best the boost will be comparable to what MGS4 did for the PS3 in Japan last year).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

So far 2009 vs 2008 Wii sales are down a staggering 70% in Japan ( after 6 months that include Golden week and the calendar year in Japan is less skewed toward massive sales during the last 3 months than it is in western countries)

For the whole year it's not irrealistic to expect that at best they will be down 50%, maybe even more....

When it came to the slump in Wii hardware sales, "wait for WSR and M+" was like a mantra for some Wii fans. I never thought it had a chance of seriously moving hardware, but even I expected a bigger boost than that. If Monster Hunter 3 doesn't end the slump, Nintendo might have to seriously consider their price point. Yes, the Wii is still handily outselling the HD consoles, but that doesn't mean much; those two have sold poorly since launch. The Wii was the one console that managed decent sales in Japan, and now those sales have dried up.

Great software sales, though.

Around the Network

Wii Sports Resort did not change what the Wii offers. Since to most consumers it is more of the same and if I wanted a Wii for Wii Sports Resort I also wanted a Wii for Wii Sports then I picked up a Wii already. WiiM+ just does what most people believe the Wii does already. That is the flaw of WiiM+ people were already sold 1:1 by Nintendo even though the Wii doesnt do 1:1.

Hardware sales will likely not increase until a price cut. I suspect that no particular title will boost Wii sales signifigantly since the install base is so high in Japan. Software can sell systems if the software brings in a demographic not already purchasing the system (WiiFit and fitness titles case in point).

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Which begs the question, how many price drops did the PS2 have in Japan by the same point in its life?

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

kylohk said:
Which begs the question, how many price drops did the PS2 have in Japan by the same point in its life?

The install base isn't actually that high in Japan compared to what the PS2 did but the issue is that traditionnal gamers have mostly decided to stay away from that console and at this point I don't think anything Nintendo has in store will change that mentality.

Wii is mostly selling to non traditional gamers there. 

I don't think a price cut will bring Wii back to previous years levels either, it will help but I don't think it will help that much.

Wii is just not considered as an expensive console right now ( the way the PS3 is). Price isn't what is hurting sales, what the platform delivers isn't compelling to most buyers and more of the same ( ala WSR) isn't going to convince them to purchase a Wii if they haven't yet ( and I will make the case that the new Mario game won't move hardware that much, the only unknown really is MH3).

Great sales for Wii Sports Resort but I'm with leo-j, I was expecting a bigger boost for Wii Consoles. Is Wii Sports Resort (obviously) playing to the existing user base? I think we'll need to wait for Monster Hunter 3 to see a real boost as it plays to a new crowd.

Ail said:
kylohk said:

The install base isn't actually that high in Japan compared to what the PS2 did but the issue is that traditionnal gamers have mostly decided to stay away from that console and at this point I don't think anything Nintendo has in store will change that mentality.

Wii is mostly selling to non traditional gamers there. 

I don't think a price cut will bring Wii back to previous years levels either, it will help but I don't think it will help that much.

Wii is just not considered as an expensive console right now ( the way the PS3 is). Price isn't what is hurting sales, what the platform delivers isn't compelling to most buyers and more of the same ( ala WSR) isn't going to convince them to purchase a Wii if they haven't yet ( and I will make the case that the new Mario game won't move hardware that much, the only unknown really is MH3).

Regardless of the price of the Wii, a price drop will always raise sales.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.