By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft 2 makes major announcements (and I am off the hype train)

Jereel Hunter said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Fewer people would be part of the problem if the industry was more friendly to its consumers instead of treating them like crooks, doing stuff like this just encourages piracy, I would have bought the game if it had LAN, but now i'll just torrent it and hope for a third party solution to be developed by the fans to allow LAN gaming

It encourages piracy? Spoken like a true pirate. That's just an excuse to justify what you likely would have done anyway.

Recently, a game released, and they were surprised to find that in their first week 250,000 users logged onto their servers! Why were they surprised? Because first week sales were under 100k. More users are stealing PC games than paying for them, and your response to blizzard taking out an option that will truely effect only 1-3% of players, in order to reduce this ramptant theft, is to steal the product? That's like breaking into a store because they had the GALL to install a new security system. Well, I'm glad StarCraft 2 will sell a ton, and I'm even more glad that, right after launch, you'll get to hear friends tell you about how awesome SC2 multiplayer is while you're waiting for a third party solution to play on a LAN. (which, even for people who play on LANs, is generally a relatively small amount of their game time)

No its a valid reason, do you think things like DRM effect pirates?  No because they get cracked version, DRM and registration codes are a pain to those who actually buy the game legally, by doing these activities, they drive more people to piracy.

Also if they do this SC2 will never sell as much as the original, heck they'll probably lose half of Korea

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

I hope this game allows spawn installs like SC1. I loved being able to play with my brother on b.net and lan with only 1 copy of starcraft. It'll suck if my roommate and I both have to buy copies to play multiplayer together.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

In fact just wait, Blizzard has already been talking about making Battlenet a fee service, well technically they said to monetize it but we all know what that means, this is just the way to force it down people's throats

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Jereel Hunter said:
Chrizum said:
Jereel Hunter said:
Chrizum said:
No LAN = No BUY

You mean "No LAN = no ACQUIRE".

If lack of LAN support is preventing you from playing, chances are you weren't actually BUYING it anyway.

I only play RTS games for LAN. I love to play Age of Mythology and the first Starcraft with my girlfiend over LAN. We have 2 computers at the house and it's just really fun and painless to set up.

So yeah, no LAN = no BUY.

Do you not have the internet? Because Blizzard doesn't route the games through B.net, only matchmaking, after which the players connect directly to host. This means that if you and your girlfriend create a game on b.net, you still have a zero ping during play. You'll still be effectively playing on a lan. The only difference for you is the 10 seconds longer it will take to log onto battle.net to make the game. The only thing you'll lose for a setup like that, is the chance to see the words "Local Area Network" in the game. If you still decide not to buy it, you weren't going to anyway.

I am not sure it is going to be that simple, I would guess bnet is going to host some software component and your two computers are going to be talking to it during gameplay( would be too easy to hack otherwise).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Jereel Hunter said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Fewer people would be part of the problem if the industry was more friendly to its consumers instead of treating them like crooks, doing stuff like this just encourages piracy, I would have bought the game if it had LAN, but now i'll just torrent it and hope for a third party solution to be developed by the fans to allow LAN gaming

It encourages piracy? Spoken like a true pirate. That's just an excuse to justify what you likely would have done anyway.

Recently, a game released, and they were surprised to find that in their first week 250,000 users logged onto their servers! Why were they surprised? Because first week sales were under 100k. More users are stealing PC games than paying for them, and your response to blizzard taking out an option that will truely effect only 1-3% of players, in order to reduce this ramptant theft, is to steal the product? That's like breaking into a store because they had the GALL to install a new security system. Well, I'm glad StarCraft 2 will sell a ton, and I'm even more glad that, right after launch, you'll get to hear friends tell you about how awesome SC2 multiplayer is while you're waiting for a third party solution to play on a LAN. (which, even for people who play on LANs, is generally a relatively small amount of their game time)

No its a valid reason, do you think things like DRM effect pirates?  No because they get cracked version, DRM and registration codes are a pain to those who actually buy the game legally, by doing these activities, they drive more people to piracy.

Also if they do this SC2 will never sell as much as the original, heck they'll probably lose half of Korea

SC2 will sell higher than SC1.

Blizzard will loose the 1% vocal minority that talks a lot of crap and hack most of their games and they will gain the casual Wow market.

Seems like a good deal to me....

It's simple, to all those saying they will hack it if the feature isn't there, Blizzard DOES NOT WANT YOU AS A CUSTOMER !

Around the Network

I don't think most, if any, of the casual WOW market will be interested in SC2 Ail, a casual RPG is very different than an RTS.

Also that's fine if they don't want us as customers, but its not smart to lose customers, you lose too many customers and you quickly find yourself going out of business.

I think they'll get casual WoW players by doing an ad like "From the makers of World of Warcraft comes a new game ... ". Many WoW players will buy it, play it, a few will love it, most will hate it because it's nothing like WoW but Blizzard won't care because a sale is a sale.

Signature goes here!

Avinash_Tyagi said:
I don't think most, if any, of the casual WOW market will be interested in SC2 Ail, a casual RPG is very different than an RTS.

Also that's fine if they don't want us as customers, but its not smart to lose customers, you lose too many customers and you quickly find yourself going out of business.

I think you'll be surprised.

The SC2 hype machine is slowly starting in Wow too and so far I would say it's quite successfull and BlizzCon hasn't started yet...( 50% of my wow guildies are already intent on purchasing SC2 and we are aready aware that the few weeks following SC2 release we probably won't have many people in Wow to raid).

And the casual wow players aren't so casual anymore, slowly with things like arena Blizzard has introduced them to competitive player vs player...

And do you really loose customers when said customers keep threatening to use your product without paying for it ?

Even Halo Wars has LAN.

Like always, the measures Blizzard/Activision are taking will only piss off legitimate customers who are going to buy the game, while those who pirate won't be effected with 3rd parties patching in whatever isn't already included but in demand.

Misguided on their part to their part to think they can exclude LAN, but I agree with Avanish Tyagi (there's a first) that they're going to implement a pay to play model for b.net, and therefore LAN would work against that.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka