By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft 2 makes major announcements (and I am off the hype train)

Ail said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
What the fuck. What possible reason could they have to remove LAN play? It's like they're doing it just to piss people off.

They are doin it to fight pirates.

You want to play MP, you do it on Battlenet. You don't have a legit copy, no MP...

Sounds smart to me..

That is probably a large reason for it.  Plus, you drive all the gaming to BNet and they can then run advertising over it. 

Around the Network

Isn't this like 6 months ago news?

shio said:
theshrike said:
It just seems like not having LAN would be shooting themselves in the foot. I am sure it will be a great game when its released but to me it will feel like a gimped product.

The sad thing is, this game will make money hand over fist either way. but the 3rd party lan mod may come into play. that gives me a little bit of hope. However I am still no longer inspired to rush out and buy it as soon as it comes out.

99,99% of PC Multiplayer gaming is done Online, so what the hell is the problem with you?! LAN doesn't matter nowadays because all PC gamers now have internet and almost all of them have good enough connections to play online.

NightDragon83 said:
Well at least they're tossing the n00bs a bone... how the hell else are they supposed to have a chance against uber-geek Koreans who have been playing the game non-stop for over 10 years now?!?

Dude, Blizzard is using korean pro gamers to test Starcraft 2's gameplay and take impressions from them, so I'm pretty sure the korean people is well cared for.

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
it seems blizzard is anti console. making 3 seperate version's of a game instead of 1 with 3 campaigns is completely gay and is bad business sense if u ask me, blizzard should release 1 version for all the pc ppl wanting this game.

Seperating the game into 3 huge campaigns was one of Blizzard's best decisions on Starcraft. People want big, epic storylines, not stories fragmented and shredded into pieces.

Zlejedi said:
Carl2291 said:
Dont worry too much, when they get tons and tons of hate for it... they will see the error of there ways.

If the Activision assholes decide to milk battlenet with fees expect no LAN mode as that would drop the profits.

You make no sense. Why would a battle.net subscription affect LAN?! Especially when Battle.net itself is free and the subscription is only optional.

And the subscription idea was something that Blizzard was thinking way before they merged with Activision.

First reply:  I disagree; I can easily imagine situations where online play is not as practical.  This is less true if you're just authenticating online (vs. actually playing online). 

Second reply:  That's not really relevant to what he said.  But it doesn't really matter ... I'm just throwing this in for completeness. 

Third reply:  I agree that I like the design choice, but a lot of it is that I don't have to wait until they finish the other two parts before getting the first part. 

Fourth reply:  Complete failure of imagination.  He's saying that they would cut off LAN play as a way to get extra subscribers, supposing Battle.net goes paid-subscription.  You can disagree about whether this will happen -- I would be extremely surprised if it did -- or how much they would actually stand to gain from such a tactic, but it hardly "makes no sense". 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Clearly a anti-piracy measure, however its a bit annoying
What if your net connection drops out, or you want it as a more social event?

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No LAN, no buy

guess I can direct that cash to more Wii games then, so its alright

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Who cares? Battle.net FTW!

No LAN = No BUY

monlosez said:
Isn't this like 6 months ago news?

I think 6 months ago it was about Diablo III not having LAN.

Signature goes here!

I admit I haven't read all posts in here, but I am the only one who remembers the spawn installs from Starcraft? It allowed you to install additional copies of starcraft for the purpose of lan and battle.net (as long as they were used with the original copy). Seems Blizzard is way too about the moneys to include something like that for SC2.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Having no Lan wouldn't been any problem if it wasn't for that B.net suck monkey balls.

not looking forward lo worthless servers with lag/disconnecting and other crap.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints