By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft 2 makes major announcements (and I am off the hype train)

no lan no buy..... torrent then

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network

There's 11 million Wow players whose majority actually connects to Wow through battlenet and the connection is good....

And the fact that Wow is so successfull while requiring to connect to a server to play demonstrates that requiring SC2 to connect to Battlenet for MP is in no way a barrier for the majority of the gamers out there. Even if a small minority is loud and against it, Blizzard has the mass numbers of Wow players to demonstrate that this is viable for a game, so good luck staging protests/petitions ;)

Anyway, I'm going to guess the majority of the people complaining on this thread actually have games installed on their PC that they didn't purchase. So stop complaining about a solution when you are part of the problem.....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Fewer people would be part of the problem if the industry was more friendly to its consumers instead of treating them like crooks, doing stuff like this just encourages piracy, I would have bought the game if it had LAN, but now i'll just torrent it and hope for a third party solution to be developed by the fans to allow LAN gaming

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Fewer people would be part of the problem if the industry was more friendly to its consumers instead of treating them like crooks, doing stuff like this just encourages piracy

Like I said Blizzard has a 11 million+ audience that thinks connecting to a server is not a big deal, so the majority of the potential buyers are probably ok with it...( and these are the first  people targeted by SC2, the fan audience that pays monthly fee and has no issue paying money to actually game instead of hacking every other game and playing them for free).

Heck personally I rather play through bnet than LAN as it will enables features like ranking...

Honestly I don't think many publishers are still courting the PC audience with the mentality 'if your game doesn't have this feature I will hack it instead of purchasing it' Business wise, it does not make a lot of sense......

PS : There's another way to get around it, steal people battlenet authentication ( that's how wow account get hacked). Good luck with that though, I have a 6 digits RSA key generator  that is required to log into my account lol ;)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Chrizum said:
No LAN = No BUY

You mean "No LAN = no ACQUIRE".

If lack of LAN support is preventing you from playing, chances are you weren't actually BUYING it anyway.

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
Chrizum said:
No LAN = No BUY

If lack of LAN support is preventing you from playing, chances are you weren't actually BUYING it anyway.

I only play RTS games for LAN. I love to play Age of Mythology and the first Starcraft with my girlfiend over LAN. We have 2 computers at the house and it's just really fun and painless to set up.

So yeah, no LAN = no BUY.

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Fewer people would be part of the problem if the industry was more friendly to its consumers instead of treating them like crooks, doing stuff like this just encourages piracy, I would have bought the game if it had LAN, but now i'll just torrent it and hope for a third party solution to be developed by the fans to allow LAN gaming

It encourages piracy? Spoken like a true pirate. That's just an excuse to justify what you likely would have done anyway.

Recently, a game released, and they were surprised to find that in their first week 250,000 users logged onto their servers! Why were they surprised? Because first week sales were under 100k. More users are stealing PC games than paying for them, and your response to blizzard taking out an option that will truely effect only 1-3% of players, in order to reduce this ramptant theft, is to steal the product? That's like breaking into a store because they had the GALL to install a new security system. Well, I'm glad StarCraft 2 will sell a ton, and I'm even more glad that, right after launch, you'll get to hear friends tell you about how awesome SC2 multiplayer is while you're waiting for a third party solution to play on a LAN. (which, even for people who play on LANs, is generally a relatively small amount of their game time)

Arent these kinds of games ment to be played at LANs? I mean, thats basicly their sole purpose in life, to be played at LANs.

Chrizum said:
Jereel Hunter said:
Chrizum said:
No LAN = No BUY

I only play RTS games for LAN. I love to play Age of Mythology and the first Starcraft with my girlfiend over LAN. We have 2 computers at the house and it's just really fun and painless to set up.

So yeah, no LAN = no BUY.

Do you not have the internet? Because Blizzard doesn't route the games through B.net, only matchmaking, after which the players connect directly to host. This means that if you and your girlfriend create a game on b.net, you still have a zero ping during play. You'll still be effectively playing on a lan. The only difference for you is the 10 seconds longer it will take to log onto battle.net to make the game. The only thing you'll lose for a setup like that, is the chance to see the words "Local Area Network" in the game. If you still decide not to buy it, you weren't going to anyway.

MAFKKA said:
Arent these kinds of games ment to be played at LANs? I mean, thats basicly their sole purpose in life, to be played at LANs.

Sure are. Just like FPSs. Oh wait, this isn't 1999 anymore, is it?

Virtually all RTS play nowadays is online. LAN games were big when internet connections had latency and stability issues... Nowadays it's largely unnessecary, except for a relatively small number of gamers. (Who can still have a LAN party, assuming they have an internet connection)