By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft 2 makes major announcements (and I am off the hype train)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
I don't think most, if any, of the casual WOW market will be interested in SC2 Ail, a casual RPG is very different than an RTS.

Also that's fine if they don't want us as customers, but its not smart to lose customers, you lose too many customers and you quickly find yourself going out of business.

....somehow I doubt Blizzard is worried about going out of Business...

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

How the hell are people defending this decision? What's the reasoning behind it?

Blizzard will loose the 1% vocal minority that talks a lot of crap and hack most of their games and they will gain the casual Wow market.

That would have happened, regardless of whether they left LAN in or not (scratch that, the <1% isn't lost with LAN in). All this does is inconvinience those who do regularly LAN.

Taking away features from paying customers in the name of piracy is not the way to go. The damn pirates will have their own emulated bnet servers, removing LAN won't do shit.

Will this one decision noticably impact the game's sales? I doubt it, but it's still a step in the wrong direction, and those into LAN'ing often will feel it.

I'm slightly interested in the game but if it has pay-to-play for multiplayer I'm not getting it.

ameratsu said:

I admit I haven't read all posts in here, but I am the only one who remembers the spawn installs from Starcraft? It allowed you to install additional copies of starcraft for the purpose of lan and battle.net (as long as they were used with the original copy). Seems Blizzard is way too about the moneys to include something like that for SC2.

I remember! 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
ameratsu said:

I admit I haven't read all posts in here, but I am the only one who remembers the spawn installs from Starcraft? It allowed you to install additional copies of starcraft for the purpose of lan and battle.net (as long as they were used with the original copy). Seems Blizzard is way too about the moneys to include something like that for SC2.

I remember! 

I remember too - it was an awesome idea. Almost everyone I spawned a copy to ended up buying the full game. Blizzard knew they had a winner - spawning essentially became a super-demo. Then Brood War came out and made everyone relying on a spawn buy the battlechest.

But the SC franchise is so strong now, spawning is unnessecary, everyone will buy the game when it releases, and they know it. (And honestly, given the option to wait a couple extra months for them to code in spawning, or just releasing, I'm pretty sure almost all the paying customers would prefer it release earlier.)

Around the Network

What some of you don't understand is that bnet is becoming really big ( once SC2 is out, btw SC2 and Wow there will probably be more people playing through bnet on most days than people playing on XboxLive...).

And I'm defending it because it will screw pirates and I like that idea a lot.
If you won't pay for a game you have no F**ING business playing it or complaining about its features...

And yeah, LAN is 90s, we are in the 21st century, wtf would I need LAN support to play multiplayers games ???
I play Wow with my wife, we sit side by side and we don't use no fricking LAN, playing SC2 against each others will be exactly the same...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

@Ail
your reasoning for not including LAN is basically: "I dont need, so why would anyone else possibly want it, get rid of it"

There are many other people who are affected. While it might hurt some pirates (probably not, they tend to be very adaptive) it also hurt paying customers who have enjoyed those features for over a decade.
the original starcraft was built on the back of lan with the spawn feature.

Yes I am a fan of the Playstation 3, but I am an even bigger fan of intelligent and rational dialog. (If you are up for an intelligent exchange of ideas, you are more than welcome to add me as a friend)

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

(haven't been playing much since I am broke)

no lan is fine.

for those people that were planning on installing it on more than one computer in your house, that is piracy, simple as that.

Although there will be no lan, there will be programs that will allow lan play.

theshrike said:
@Ail
your reasoning for not including LAN is basically: "I dont need, so why would anyone else possibly want it, get rid of it"

There are many other people who are affected. While it might hurt some pirates (probably not, they tend to be very adaptive) it also hurt paying customers who have enjoyed those features for over a decade.
the original starcraft was built on the back of lan with the spawn feature.

The original Starcraft is over 10 years old and back then internet connectivity was not reliable for most people, LAN was the only way to play a game with a decent ping, that is not the case today...

LAN doesn't offer any major feature that can't be provided by bnet too these days.( and playing on bnet is actually easier to set up than setting up a lan for most casual players).

The only exceptions would be playing from behind a firewall. And in most of the cases when you are behind a heavy duty firewall you are actually not supposed to be gaming...(might be fun to install SC2 on your universities lab PCs too but it's not legal and if your IT finds out about those he will quickly delete the installs).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

1337 Gamer said:
FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!!! no LAN WTF is wrong with you. The campaign sounds good but not worth it if i cant play lan. And y the fuck would it be noob friendly. Wow im really pissed at Blizzard fucking greedy bastards as if they dont make enought off WOW.

Don`t worry,the piratated version will have a Battle.net creator and every friend of yours can join via IP.

You worry too much. And you can still buy the game 1st day to support the developer.