By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No pricecut for PS3?

luvtospooge said:
If they don't start re-claiming their place in the console wars, then the next generation, sony would be pretty much F*****.

The only hope is PSP Go!. That should/will be sony's profitable machine.

Coming in from the strongest position did not help them this time round and Microsoft managed to come from the rear. This is the console war in you speaking the reality is that we have 3 very viable consoles. PS3 is playing the long game and Microsoft are in it too, the Wii is only console likely to declare early but it will have a good score at this point.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

Let's stop comparing the PSP Go! and a $300 PS3, okay? The PSP Go! competes with the $275 iPod Touch while the PS3 competes with the $200 X360 and probably the Wii. Totally different markets, mind ya.
The "true" PSP (PSP 3000, as a handheld console) will still be produced after the PSP Go! launch costing $170

Cheebee said:
Noez! The PS3 NEEDS and WILL GET a pricecut, soon!!1
And that will be teh turning point, PS3 will rule supreme, yay!!1!

<<<<< Pipe Dream >>>>>

Thank you Kowenicki

PS3 will need to outsell 360 by:         

444,931 per month to catch it by Jan 2011. 102,676 per week.
266,958 per month to catch it by Jan 2012. 61,606 per week.
190,685 per month to catch it by Jan 2013. 44,004 per week.
148,310 per month to catch it by Jan 2014. 34,225 per week.

Current rate is:  -18,262 per month    
Avge over last 6 mths          
Negative number means 360 is outselling PS3 by that amount per mth on avge

^PSP Go competes with the DSi. Nothing competes with the $250 iPod Touch. It offers way more features than both.

emitcowboys said:
Cheebee said:
Noez! The PS3 NEEDS and WILL GET a pricecut, soon!!1
And that will be teh turning point, PS3 will rule supreme, yay!!1!

<<<<< Pipe Dream >>>>>

Yeah, sarcasm dude.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

All these people saying that Go and Slim cannot co-operate at similar price points, people don't think shall I get a handheld or shall I get a console, you will want one of them (though I might be getting a slim and Go), you won't be torn between the 2 products

@ kowenici, say that when Gran Turismo 5 comes out. Yeah very few have a meaningful effect on sales, GeoW 2 didn't really, but GT 5 will I am less convinced about GoW 3 though

I think GT 5 is just as important as a $50 price point, it is one of the very few games that has mass appeal worldwide, MGS 4 was big everywhere, but not GT big

Munkeh111 said:
All these people saying that Go and Slim cannot co-operate at similar price points, people don't think shall I get a handheld or shall I get a console, you will want one of them (though I might be getting a slim and Go), you won't be torn between the 2 products

@ kowenici, say that when Gran Turismo 5 comes out. Yeah very few have a meaningful effect on sales, GeoW 2 didn't really, but GT 5 will I am less convinced about GoW 3 though

I think GT 5 is just as important as a $50 price point, it is one of the very few games that has mass appeal worldwide, MGS 4 was big everywhere, but not GT big

GT4 had no affect on PS2 sales whatsoever.

And I really strongly believe that if the prices are $250 for Go and $300 for PS3 the Go's sales would be canibalized.  However, I feel that they will be $250 and $350 if the PS3 does get a cut at all.

People, usually teens, buy hand helds because they can say its "theirs".  They can afford them because they are cheaper and more personal.  But if you haven't got a PSP or a PS3 (the audience Sony should be targetting, not their current customers who just want to get the new hardware), and you walk in and see a PS3 for just $50 more, I can guarantee at least a couple people out of every 10 customers will be getting the PS3 instead.  Not to mention these are usually purchased by parents, and if parents can get something that offers great movies for their HDTV along with gaming and all those extras for only $50 more I'm sure they will grab that one.

nightsurge said:
Munkeh111 said:

And I really strongly believe that if the prices are $250 for Go and $300 for PS3 the Go's sales would be canibalized.  However, I feel that they will be $250 and $350 if the PS3 does get a cut at all.

People, usually teens, buy hand helds because they can say its "theirs".  They can afford them because they are cheaper and more personal.  But if you haven't got a PSP or a PS3 (the audience Sony should be targetting, not their current customers who just want to get the new hardware), and you walk in and see a PS3 for just $50 more, I can guarantee at least a couple people out of every 10 customers will be getting the PS3 instead.  Not to mention these are usually purchased by parents, and if parents can get something that offers great movies for their HDTV along with gaming and all those extras for only $50 more I'm sure they will grab that one.

What were PS2 sales at GT4 launch?

Also, what were PS2 sales at GT3 launch?

nightsurge said:
Munkeh111 said:

GT 4 was the second GT of the gen, so obviously less of an effect. I just think somebody is either in the market for a console or a handheld, I don't think there will be that many problems, and let's not forgot, the 3000 is still on the market

Munkeh111 said:
nightsurge said:
Munkeh111 said:

GT 4 was the second GT of the gen, so obviously less of an effect. I just think somebody is either in the market for a console or a handheld, I don't think there will be that many problems, and let's not forgot, the 3000 is still on the market

Very true.  And I guess I should say that the 3000 will also slightly canabilize the PSP Go until it drops down to a similar $180 price.  Even the DSi is only about $30-40 more than a DSLite and it has quite a bit of additions while removing the gameboy port.