By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-gen console war: The verdict by mcvuk.com

I always think that the taper off idea is remarkably stupid because the industry can not produce such an outcome ...

Sales of the PS3 have been poor so far and will look awful after the holiday season 2007; this will result in third party publishers reducing exclusive support for the PS3, and not allocating PS2 development teams towards the PS3 as projects are completed (most likely that support will move towards the Wii). In 2008 the Wii will have another banner year whilst the PS3 continues to struggle; this will in turn cause a further shift towards the Wii.

Magically in 2009 (when the PS3 becomes an affordable system) people are going to start buying the PS3 and ignoring the Wii when most of the major third party games are being released for the Wii?

The first 18 months are critical for producing a large userbase in order to have third party confidence so that you have the important games on your system later in life.

Around the Network

@HappySqurriel

Your right and I agree 100%.

I don't think he is a sony fanboy W29 but his predictions may hold true. As we can now see, the demand for the wii, at least in Japan, has been tapering off as has the DS. Also, as we saw with the price drop/fire sale for the PS3 this summer, the numbers picked up very much but without monster software it has recently dropped back down. Also the PSP has been seeing some stellar weeks since the Slim & Lite launch and can continue to do so if the software they need comes out. The Wii will taper off after this year after all the Mario games come out this winter and Wii owners have nothing to play next year except Wii fit, since all the first party games will have been exhausted and we know that the Wii has a paltry third party line up.

Oops forgot the XBOX 360. Don't think the PS3 will dethrone that monster for a long time because of the continued success of procuring exclusives but they do need to do some work in Japan to get numbers higher because I believe if the PS3 can win japan (they only have to beat the wii), they will have a strong likelihood of winning america.

Yeah, the 360 has no chance in hell of reaching 36mil...

Around the Network

@jhlennon1

Let me rephrase what jhlennon1 meant to say

"Yeah, the 360 has a chance of reaching 36mil...

DMeisterJ said:
I don't think he is a sony fanboy W29 but his predictions may hold true. As we can now see, the demand for the wii, at least in Japan, has been tapering off as has the DS. Also, as we saw with the price drop/fire sale for the PS3 this summer, the numbers picked up very much but without monster software it has recently dropped back down. Also the PSP has been seeing some stellar weeks since the Slim & Lite launch and can continue to do so if the software they need comes out. The Wii will taper off after this year after all the Mario games come out this winter and Wii owners have nothing to play next year except Wii fit, since all the first party games will have been exhausted and we know that the Wii has a paltry third party line up.

Sony domination starts in 2006 2007 2008...

Nintendo will stop making games after this year. 

There are no third-party games for the Wii.

Slowing demand for all systems during the slowest period of the year is indicative of weakness for the Wii.

I think you hit all the major talking points. 

Note to Mr. Nick Parker:

WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT WII FIT

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

DMeisterJ said:
Oops forgot the XBOX 360. Don't think the PS3 will dethrone that monster for a long time because of the continued success of procuring exclusives but they do need to do some work in Japan to get numbers higher because I believe if the PS3 can win japan (they only have to beat the wii), they will have a strong likelihood of winning america.

I agree, PS3 is only getting help on a WW basis is because Japan. Since the 360 is doing somewhat poorly but is doing better than the original Xbox, PS3 has a edge in that category. PS3 will truly need to bring out those games like, FFXIII (2009) MGS4(March2008) and I think thats it for me and some other killer games to get it to stand with legs.

I will not hazard a guess until about February or March, so we can know how how many games sold in this Holiday. Whichever had the best hardware and software sales this Holiday season will likely win, if not be guaranteed.

"Magically in 2009 (when the PS3 becomes an affordable system) people are going to start buying the PS3 and ignoring the Wii when most of the major third party games are being released for the Wii?"

Well the article is pretending that support isn't happening for the Wii. It claims third parties prefer the PS3, although no source is given.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs