By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tropico 3. 360 Console Exclusive. New Images.

unsigner said:

Hi guys, Ivan-Assen from Haemimont Games here, developers of Tropico 3 for PC and Xbox 360.

It's not exactly a city-builder, it's more of a "political sim"; the point is not to build a grand city, but to maintain your iron grip over the island with all means possible: bribes, faked elections, political assassinations, alliances with the superpowers (it's set in the Cold War). It's a sequel to Tropico 1, not Tropico 2 - which was quite a different game about 18-century pirates.

It's quite a slower game than e.g. Halo Wars, there shouldn't be any concerns about the controls.

And there are hardly any strategy games on the 360 this fall, so we keep our fingers crossed! Please buy 10 copies each

Can I play as Hugo Chavez?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Not good, strategy doesn't work too well on consoles. This could affect the PC version negatively. Well, at least it's not a fast-paced RTS... Maybe it won't be that bad. And maybe I should try the first Tropico that's been there collecting dust for several months already :P

Anyway, I want to walk those streets in the game.

Oh, and thanks for realizing the difference between 'exclusive' and 'console exclusive'.

Looks like the kind of game I want to play now but will completely forget and care about by the time it's released.

Hope everybody else has fun!

i hope it won't be full priced game - while i might buy it after all(depending on the final game) cause there's not many(if any) slow paced strategy games like sim city on 360. i'm not keen on forking 60$ for any game and i think it may be a hard-to-get game after few months.
people calling console rts inferior because lack of mouse - have you ever played any rts game online? i dare you to use only mouse during online matches in Starcraft, i bet none of you will last longer than 10 minutes. i played Starcraft many times with my friends during classes in highschool and while none of them are pro(they only play for fun), they kicked my ass every time and they were playing only on keyboard(they used mouse only to set destination of their own armies).

Zkuq said:

Not good, strategy doesn't work too well on consoles. This could affect the PC version negatively. Well, at least it's not a fast-paced RTS... Maybe it won't be that bad. And maybe I should try the first Tropico that's been there collecting dust for several months already :P

Oh, and thanks for realizing the difference between 'exclusive' and 'console exclusive'.

@ the exclusive comment. It doen't matter anyway, because being on PC will NOT affect console sales. Look at Mass Effect. Especially number 2. If M$ market ME2 right the 360 will see a boost in sales. PC never affects 360 sales.

And Halo WArs, Civilization and most this gen strategy games disagree completely with the doesn't work on consoles claim. Fell C&C3 had better controls to use than say some adventure games have for their genre.

Around the Network
selnor said:
Zkuq said:

@ the exclusive comment. It doen't matter anyway, because being on PC will NOT affect console sales. Look at Mass Effect. Especially number 2. If M$ market ME2 right the 360 will see a boost in sales. PC never affects 360 sales.

And Halo WArs, Civilization and most this gen strategy games disagree completely with the doesn't work on consoles claim. Fell C&C3 had better controls to use than say some adventure games have for their genre.

Offtopic: Though Civilization IV has ten times more content than console versions because managing all that would be impossible with controller. Yes...RTS games work somehow with controller but mouse is still a lot better.

Ontopic: Looks interesting. Maybe I will buy this to PC if it gets good grades from critics.

KillerMan said:
selnor said:
Zkuq said:

Offtopic: Though Civilization IV has ten times more content than console versions because managing all that would be impossible with controller. Yes...RTS games work somehow with controller but mouse is still a lot better.

Ontopic: Looks interesting. Maybe I will buy this to PC if it gets good grades from critics.

there's a difference between RTS games and games like Tropico - RTS relay mainly on your timing and how fast and precise you can do somethin(that's why mouse is important but not as much as people may think). games like Tropico, Sim City, Hotel Giant, Capitalism are more a simulation than a strategy(business simulation, city-building simulation etc.) and are much more deeper and relay more on actual strategy, planning, management and thinking than standard strategy games like Starcraft, Red Alert etc.

games like Starcraft and Halo Wars are like Burnout Paradise - simple, casual and mainstream while games like Capitalism, Tropico and Sim City are like Gran Turismo or Forza, niche, deep, complex and difficulty.