By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - whats the best SRPG you have ever played ?

We've gone around this particular circle enough times, agreed.

Though, for the record, I did mention the RPG thing before.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Final Fantasy Tactics. In fact it's the only one I played in its entirety. I really liked it though... maybe I should get a Valkyria Chronicles or Fire Emblem...

You should try some other SRPGs.  FF Tactics is an okay game, but there are lots of better games in the genre.  I found FFT to be rather mediocre, to be honest, compared to something like Fire Emblem or Shining Force.  FFT requires too much management and is too concerned with minutuae for my taste.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

My favourite SRPG is the original Front Mission, but honorable mentions go to the Disgaea series (I still have to buy the third ) & Final Fantasy Tactics. A recent SRPG that I loved was Jeanne d'Arc.

Disgaea 3

4 ≈ One

My personal favorite SRPGs and opinions:

Final Fantasy Tactics A2:  An awesome strategy game, as well as awesome customizing type RPG (Best ever yet). As far as RPG mechanics go though, the level up system sucks; all characters get the same amount of exp, even lower level characters, so you can't not use characters; pretty much the only fault I found, that and the MP system is not intuitive.. but, overall awesome

Fire Emblem series: Fun strategy..., but the RPG element is downplayed by the fact that you can't grind if it's tough and your characters die permanently... very bad to combine permanent death and RPG, since you feel like youve lost all your work... doesn't help that enemies go after your weaker characters. I love and hate this game at the same time.

Disgaea: NOT a good Strategy game. In fact, I get the same feeling playing it as I would from an RPG. You can bash everything without intelligence or grind to become more powerful - not good strategy. The only strategy there is is in the geo symbols, which acts more like a puzzle aspect than a strategy game. Customization of team with different charactesr is fun though, my favorite aspect.So I would not define Disgaea as a strategy rpg per se. It's good, but my favorite genre is SRPGs and I don't get that good feeling when I play disgaea. At least the story is funny. I also love and hate this game at the same time.

Phantom Brave: My favorite NIS game. The endless skills and customization on top of an Super fun battle system... I can't explain how much joy I get from this. The only problem is that there may be too many skills, an overabundance makes it that you don't know what to choose :S

Valkyria Chronicles: Awesome design, just spectacularly fun strategy elements combined with 3rd person elements. Your characters can die in this, but the way they corrected the RPG element for this is that your characters dont individually level up: you level up entire classes so if a character dies you can replace with another character of the same class. Development is just way too awesome, coming as an underdog and commanding armies.. oh man, yes, this is just an all-around awesome SRPG.

Bahamut Lagoon(snes): Overlooked due to not having been released officially in NA. Possibly the best SRPG on Snes. Worth the mention.

Luminous Arc 1 & 2: A very standard SRPG. Playing this I got the feeling that it was pretty much The template for an SRPG. Not extremely good in any 1 department, but just generally a decent SRPG that feels like the 'standard' for anime SRPGs. Pretty fun.

Tactics Ogre (GBA): Pretty much one of the best SRPGs. It's standard in many ways, but does everything right. Really fun strategy and RPG. Highly recommended for any SRPG fan. Ogre battle 64 deserves a mention as well..

Dofus 2.0 : an SRPG MMO, free to play on the internet, surprizingly fun. Interesting character choices, fun gameplay, amusing to see other people's characters and strategies while playing with them..

Front Mission series: Something about mechs in strategy games that is fun. Super Robot Taisen series would be another good one.

Other decent SRPG mentions: Stella Deus (ps2), Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS), Jeanne D'Arc (PSP), Makai Kingdom, Soul Nomad, Yggdra Union, Shining force series (Genesis), Advance Wars (though not really RPG that much)

...forgetting some, but that's the notable ones I think

Around the Network

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Final Fantasy tactics, any of the digaea series and, tactics ogre

A toss-up between Fire Emblem (GBA) or Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (Longest title ever, but one of the grossly unappreciated, unplayed games on N64)

GETTIN' CHRONOCRUNK

Opa-Opa said:
A toss-up between Fire Emblem (GBA) or Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (Longest title ever, but one of the grossly unappreciated, unplayed games on N64)

In North America, both Ogre Battle games suffered the same problem, not enough copies were produced, so actually trying to find a copy of the game was nearly impossible.  I know that in everyone of my local stores, I never saw OB:MofTBQ or OB64:PofLC once.

Final Fantasy Tactics, easily