By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision threatens to "stop supporting" Sony consoles.

i am sure other developers making FPS and music games would love to see that.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Around the Network

More incentive for them to cut the price...

Hopefully Sony will listen to them.

I hope Sony doesn't listien to them. Why should they? It's their console and they should do what they want with it.

Keep in mind that mid-way through last generation, a number of publishers withdrew support for the console that was in third place in the west.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
JEDE3 said:
daroamer said:
kanariya said:
Gh0st4lifE said:
kanariya said:

Huh? If they really do so, the only game I'll miss is the Infinity Ward CODs. But I can live without it.

And I don't see the momentum is losing. All 3 consoles are losing momentum is this low season and bad economy.

Not really. 360 and Wii are doing fine.

So is the PS3.

Selling around 10k less a week than the X360 with twice the price.

Thats not what momentum means.  The 360 is selling about 20% MORE this year than last year.  The PS3 is selling about 15% LESS than it was last year.  PS3 is losing momentum, 360 is gaining momentum.

That's easy to do when you had such a shitty time a year before. Just wait though in Sep. 360 will stop being up yoy. Just like next year the ps3 will be up yoy.

Except the 360 was up YOY from 2007 last year as well.  As was the PS3.  Yet the 360 is selling even better this year and the PS3 has dropped of from the year before.  Although since the PS3 did so horribly in 2007 I guess you're right and it was "easy" for the PS3 to sell better last year.  Without a price cut they're going to show it's not so easy this year.

Around the Network
Non Sequor said:
Keep in mind that mid-way through last generation, a number of publishers withdrew support for the console that was in third place in the west.

Which Sony already past LT sales of that console so  that means absolute shit in this case

daroamer said:

Thats not what momentum means.  The 360 is selling about 20% MORE this year than last year.  The PS3 is selling about 15% LESS than it was last year.  PS3 is losing momentum, 360 is gaining momentum.

Define momentum then. As far as I know momentum actually has no clear cut meaning in business talk, save for "inertia" in some stock value oscillations. And here it does not apply at all.

Why should we refer to YOY instead of latest sales? YOY is very often a poor measure for the success of a product here and now. It goes up when you reach about the anniversary of a particular bad period. The YOY of the 360 will go down after the anniversary of its price cut, and that drop will mean squat about the health of the 360's sales in September 2009.

In general YOY loses much of its predictive value as a marker when there are big factors conditioning the sales that act on about-year-long scales of time (such as a pricecut). It's useful when you contrast it with Month over Month or Week over Week, in recognizing shorter term trends.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

daroamer said:
JEDE3 said:
daroamer said:
kanariya said:
Gh0st4lifE said:
kanariya said:

Huh? If they really do so, the only game I'll miss is the Infinity Ward CODs. But I can live without it.

And I don't see the momentum is losing. All 3 consoles are losing momentum is this low season and bad economy.

Not really. 360 and Wii are doing fine.

So is the PS3.

Selling around 10k less a week than the X360 with twice the price.

That's easy to do when you had such a shitty time a year before. Just wait though in Sep. 360 will stop being up yoy. Just like next year the ps3 will be up yoy.

Except the 360 was up YOY from 2007 last year as well.  As was the PS3.  Yet the 360 is selling even better this year and the PS3 has dropped of from the year before.  Although since the PS3 did so horribly in 2007 I guess you're right and it was "easy" for the PS3 to sell better last year.  Without a price cut they're going to show it's not so easy this year.

As daoamer wrote : this is momentum related. Please remain calm and focused at least when the most obvious facts are presented to you.

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

JEDE3 said:
Non Sequor said:

Which Sony already past LT sales of that console so  that means absolute shit in this case

The western publishers make their decisions based primarily on the US market where the PS3 is far behind the 360.

Plus you have to consider that it's vastly easier to target PC and 360 than it is to support PC, 360, and PS3.

An economic downturn makes it even more likely that a business will have to focus on it's most profitable lines of business. I don't think it's reasonable to dismiss this as an empty threat. Nintendo fans dismissed this sort of thing as an empty threat last generation and look at what happened to the Gamecube.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Non Sequor said:
JEDE3 said:
Non Sequor said:

The western publishers make their decisions based primarily on the US market where the PS3 is far behind the 360.

Plus you have to consider that it's vastly easier to target PC and 360 than it is to support PC, 360, and PS3.

An economic downturn makes it even more likely that a business will have to focus on it's most profitable lines of business. I don't think it's reasonable to dismiss this as an empty threat. Nintendo fans dismissed this sort of thing as an empty threat last generation and look at what happened to the Gamecube.

The publishers who are looking at only american sales in this economic time (or ever) dont have very much business sence..... If its a small publisher that they have an excuse..... not activision.....