By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision threatens to "stop supporting" Sony consoles.

JEDE3 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but you are saying...

if a game costs 20 million to make on the PC it would be 22 million with a 360 port. Then 26 million with a Ps3 port.

Not exactly, because I think the 10%-20% holds only if you develop from the beginning as a multiplatform project, not if you have to add in a second time the costs of a new port.

Substitute the "port" in your sentence with "version developed in parallel" and those are about the numbers I knew from many threads on this site. Anyone with different info: jump in and correct me.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network
Non Sequor said:
JEDE3 said:
Non Sequor said:
Keep in mind that mid-way through last generation, a number of publishers withdrew support for the console that was in third place in the west.

Which Sony already past LT sales of that console so  that means absolute shit in this case

The western publishers make their decisions based primarily on the US market where the PS3 is far behind the 360.

Plus you have to consider that it's vastly easier to target PC and 360 than it is to support PC, 360, and PS3.

An economic downturn makes it even more likely that a business will have to focus on it's most profitable lines of business. I don't think it's reasonable to dismiss this as an empty threat. Nintendo fans dismissed this sort of thing as an empty threat last generation and look at what happened to the Gamecube.

Please tell me you dont belive this garbage, because the last time I checked all of Acti games were released worldwide.

Ok, because I was goig t say I don't think the Ps3 version is a port.

and the PSP GO will sell at the same price as the wii, i hope activision do this and we get to see sony making radical decissions finaly they deserve this.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

loy310 said:
Non Sequor said:
JEDE3 said:
Non Sequor said:
Keep in mind that mid-way through last generation, a number of publishers withdrew support for the console that was in third place in the west.

Which Sony already past LT sales of that console so  that means absolute shit in this case

The western publishers make their decisions based primarily on the US market where the PS3 is far behind the 360.

Plus you have to consider that it's vastly easier to target PC and 360 than it is to support PC, 360, and PS3.

An economic downturn makes it even more likely that a business will have to focus on it's most profitable lines of business. I don't think it's reasonable to dismiss this as an empty threat. Nintendo fans dismissed this sort of thing as an empty threat last generation and look at what happened to the Gamecube.

Please tell me you dont belive this garbage, because the last time I checked all of Acti games were released worldwide.

But they sell more at home, and any company is always focused on maintaining its primary market.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Around the Network
JGarret said:

http://kotaku.com/5296566/activision-threatens-to-stop-supporting-sony-consoles

"Bear in mind there's a degree of saber-rattling to this, but still; Activision boss Bobby Kotick has warned Sony that his company - the world's largest third-party publisher - may cease support the PS3 and PSP.

Speaking with The Times, Kotick said "I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation".

Subtle. But wait. It gets subtler.

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow", he continues. "If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony...When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console - and the PSP [portable] too".

In that absolute worst-case scenario, that would mean no Call of Duty for Sony consoles. No Guitar Hero for Sony consoles. No Tony Hawk, either. It probably won't ever come to that, of course, but Kotick's words are still worth noting. After all, when was the last time you ever saw a third-party publisher so openly threaten a major platform holder?"

Well, here's something i dont understand.. someone might be able to explain it to me.

"I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console.."
Why would it be less expensive to develop for a console if, in this case SONY, lowerd the price of its hardware?

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow"
The keyword in this statement is "likely". Why would SONY just go belly up all of a sudden? And who is he to claim that SONY doesn't have a strategy to how to survice as a company? And he says that with a "um... it might happen"-statement which i find very arrogant.

JEDE3 said:
gebx said:
JEDE3 said:
Non Sequor said:
JEDE3 said:
Non Sequor said:

whats ypour point? you werent even talking about 360. you were talking about this

Console PS3 GC
America
Total Others

Pick an arguement and stick with it.

@JED3

Highlighted = Non Sequor's point

Highlighted my point... now whats yours?

Sorry, but basically this is how I see these argument going here..

Non Sequor's Point #1 - Western Developers started dropping last generations third place console in the West
JED3's reply - The PS3 outsold the Gamecube, it doesn't apply to this generation
Non Sequor's Point #2 - Western Developers will start dropping this generations third place console in the West
JED3 Reply -  Woh!!! Stop it right there and stick to one generation only!!

You're not saying anything to retort his comments... your just arguing that since the PS3 outsold the gamecube it won't be dropped... even thought ITS STILL IN THIRD PLACE. <-- That's my point...

Oh, and just to clarify my view on this, I don't believe Activision will follow through with their threat. And if I'm wrong and they do, their big hits (CoD, GH) will still be multiplatform for next generations to come.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Ugh here comes the Gamecube talk. Even though the PS3 sold in 2 years what the Gamecube sold in five. Here come the rabid fanbois, talking about PS3 sales are so poor when the PS3 is millions ahead of where the 360 was at this stage in it's life cycle.

Lol at Activision's stock dropping since they made this statement.

"Lol at Activision's stock dropping since they made this statement. " - for real?

MAFKKA said:
"Lol at Activision's stock dropping since they made this statement. " - for real?

1.18%